FE not increasing - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Supporting Member

I was also thinking the o2 sensor should need replacing if it hasn't been already. The following may have been said before. If its an auto make sure the torque converter gets locked up and stays locked up. Your trans is 100% efficient at lockup. You might even consider an LED wired in to tell you. Also are your tires as max PSI. Unplug the A/C energizing wires from the compressor to make sure it doesn't cycle(my mothers van does this all the time). Take the roof rack off, silicone the holes. What thermostat does it have? You might consider a 180 or 190d version.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoonjoe View Post
Re-gearing the axles *might* be an option, better than re-gearing the tranny. The only problem is that I've got to re-gear both axles, or kiss the 4WD (one of the reasons for purchasing the Jeep in the 1st place) goodbye.....so, not a good option there. I might have an axle swap opportunity coming up, however...so all hope is not quite lost.

Any other ideas??
Dual t-cases.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Dual t-cases.
You've got the length to run a dual t-case setup, but I've never heard of any underdrive gear sets that one could install in a Jeep t-case. You'd probably have to build something custom.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Sorry guys, that's the whole "college student budget" idea.....I don't have the green to fab up dual t-cases, or do anything spectacular to the Jeep. I've been looking into 02 sensors, but they can be un-godly expensive....and I don't have any way to test and see if it's bad or not.

I've been looking into some custom wiring that will allow me to force TC lockup. Not sure if that will cause any damage to the tranny/driveline, or if it will cause any shifting issues. Never fear, I'm going to continue to research this...but any input would be great

I guess one of my biggest problems is that there's really no comparison for me. EPA numbers are one thing, but I'm looking for real-world type of comparison. Red, you're about the closest to me....everywhere else I start MPG discussions, we're talking about lifted, armored Jeeps with locked axles, non-stock gearing, and 31-35" wheels (just a hair different than my poor little stocker)

Final question. I'm currently running my tires at ~32 PSI. That's about the highest I've been able to go, and still get good tread wear. What are you folks doing about tread wear on your tires?? I realize that 45+ PSI will get me higher MPG, but the cost of buying the new tires sooner makes it seem like a bass-ackwards approach to me.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
*shrug*

I run mine at 50 and haven't had any treadwear issues at all.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #16
Registered Member

I would try pumping them to 40psi and see what it does for you...and then just keep an eye on the treadwear. Shouldn't be much wear very quickly at all! BTW: What kinda tires do you have?

The O2 sensor shouldn't be much more than $40 or $50...if it is like my 190e...the catalog calls for a $100 sensor...but a little searching shows that an Mustang 5.0 sensor works exactly the same, just need to splice the pigtail onto the replacement...for a total of about $41.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
My 30s seem fine at 40psi

Have you read about Stus AW4 manual shifter? If it locks the TC when it shifts that could be an improvement

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine.asp
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
I've been looking at the "manu-matic" setup for the AW4s....thinking of going to get some toggle switches and see what kind of damage I can do =P

rvanengen - I'm currently rolling on a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts.....then to be replaced by a set of Laredo A/Ts I've got at the house...with a pair of Goodyear Wrangler SR-As for spares =P All of the 235/75R15 variety (and yes, my gaslogs have been corrected for speedo difference)
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoonjoe View Post
I've been looking at the "manu-matic" setup for the AW4s....thinking of going to get some toggle switches and see what kind of damage I can do =P

rvanengen - I'm currently rolling on a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts.....then to be replaced by a set of Laredo A/Ts I've got at the house...with a pair of Goodyear Wrangler SR-As for spares =P All of the 235/75R15 variety (and yes, my gaslogs have been corrected for speedo difference)
Hmm...unless you do a lot of snow or off-roading, I would see if you could at least trade the tires for a good used or new set of highway radials. 235's are still really common and easy to find. I saved about $150 on a set for my old Bronco by trading (Tire Kingdom). Shops will bargain, or should. They make decent money on used tires.

My old P/U saw a 4 mpg difference with a good set of street tires!

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote