FE Team Challenge - discussion - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #51
DRW
Registered Member

Yep, there's more to it than just body drag. A stock Laser has a .29 drag coef. I've added a partial grill block in the form of a small front mounted intercooler, lowered the suspension about 1.25", installed a taller 5th gear, added a free flowing intake and exhaust, partial underbody panels, and tweaked the ecu almost beyond recognition.

Oh yeah, I drive well, too. Lately I've been getting tips from my refrigerator.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #52
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
ToeCutter, you need'nt forget that my Integra (0.33 Cd) generally peaks at 40-42 mpg at 100% Highway. The lowly 'Teg gets no props Somehow I think there's more to it than drag.
This doesn't surprise me, actually. But vehicle speed and engine operating point is a very important factor in this along with Cd.

Unlike your car, the Laser seems to be getting that mpg combined, not just as a highway peak. I'm sure the owner could clarify though.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #53
DRW
Registered Member

Originally posted by The Toecutter: "the Laser seems to be getting that mpg combined, not just as a highway peak. I'm sure the owner could clarify though."

My driving is roughly 85-90% freeway. Like a good gassaver, I try to avoid using my car for short trips, I'll walk or bike instead. If I need to use it to run errands I'll try to combine them in the same run.

Oops! I'm giving away my secrets to the other team! :
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #54
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Secrets

I dont know about you guys, but I find if I idle for about 10 minets before I drive in the morning my mileage is great!!

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
I dont know about you guys, but I find if I idle for about 10 minets before I drive in the morning my mileage is great!!
Yea. I also found out today that dragging you rear belly tray creates a vaccum underneath the car and dramaticly increases FE. Feel free to use this secret too
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #56
Team GasMisers5!

Fit a roof box on the car - it improves the airflow and keep all the air attached flowing over the roof. It also increases lift without drag, thereby decreasing the rolling resistance!. The lift only works if you drive at 70mph though. Do this and your FE will go through the roof

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #57
Team OPEC Busters!

I have found leaving the parking brake on during the first few miles warms up the engine faster, of course the sooner to a warm engine the better mileage after that
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #58
Registered Member

These techniques are great! Thanks for sharing, everyone.

I'll offer this (previously secret) tactic for city driving that you might like to try: look well ahead in traffic and watch for red lights and other conditions that may require you to stop. When you spot such a condition, accelerate towards it at WOT (to reduce pumping losses) and brake to a stop at the last minute - then immediately switch off the engine. This approach helps to maximize engine-off time when stopped, which we all know contributes to improved FE.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #59
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
These techniques are great! Thanks for sharing, everyone.

I'll offer this (previously secret) tactic for city driving that you might like to try: look well ahead in traffic and watch for red lights and other conditions that may require you to stop. When you spot such a condition, accelerate towards it at WOT (to reduce pumping losses) and brake to a stop at the last minute - then immediately switch off the engine. This approach helps to maximize engine-off time when stopped, which we all know contributes to improved FE.
I tend to roll towards the lights with the engine off, and bump-start if they change (or are going to change). This means I avoid a crank-start, have the engine off while approaching, and have some kinetic energy going through the lights.

However this mainly works as I live in Scotland, in a place that isn't too busy, and I know the traffic lights having lived here for a few years!

Edit - just read the previous posts.

Now I remember why you were giving out the secret advice

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #60
Registered Member

Many Simpsons fans would appreciate the use of speed holes in the hood, and I feel they work well for underbody flow too, in the gas tank.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote