FE Team Challenge -- Scoring Poll - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: In the FE Team Challenge, how should the 3-gallon mimimum rule be handled?
Take the Average of 4 team members -- the Team Captain chooses whose data to drop for the month 4 30.77%
3 Members' data are included: Automatically, using Max/Min number of gallons used 2 15.38%
Leave the Rule, Penalize the Driver (NOTE: if you choose this option, please provide some reasoning) 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
*shrug*

Darin only just recently filled his car up after having not done so for a period of many months, and it is not even bicycle season up where he is yet, so I don't think it is that easy to make that blanket statement.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
DRW
Registered Member

Personally I think if someone can go through a whole month without using more than 3 gallons they should earn a bonus! Positive vs. negative reinforcement...

Forgive me for staying away from hard math at this point, my brain is frazzled from a hard day at work. Are we still factoring in mileage to add weight to each teams %FE increase? If so, how about rewarding them by doubling the FE % gain of the person who used less than 3 gallons? Using miles to weight the FE gains would mean they have low miles, so adding a bonus by doubling the FE% gain would only result in a small increase in the whole teams FE% increase.

Perhaps the results could include a footnote showing that a certain member used less than 3 gallons.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

-5%, but award-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
Personally I think if someone can go through a whole month without using more than 3 gallons they should earn a bonus! Positive vs. negative reinforcement...

Forgive me for staying away from hard math at this point, my brain is frazzled from a hard day at work. Are we still factoring in mileage to add weight to each teams %FE increase? If so, how about rewarding them by doubling the FE % gain of the person who used less than 3 gallons? Using miles to weight the FE gains would mean they have low miles, so adding a bonus by doubling the FE% gain would only result in a small increase in the whole teams FE% increase.

Perhaps the results could include a footnote showing that a certain member used less than 3 gallons.
I've crunched the numbers and a weighted average would really give an advantage to those who drive more -- it was a mess, really. I'm thinking that an honorable mention should be given to those who use the least amount of fuel -- but as it stands, each member who does not use 3 U.S. gallons in one month is penalized by 5% per team per member. So far the vote is solidly in that direction.

-Commish
Old 04-08-2007, 04:56 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I don't believe that any of us will be able to abstain from three gallons of fuel over a lunar month.
That's the situation I'm in, Lug - I haven't used 3 gallons since the start of the competition. (That's what sparked this discussion.)

I think it was originally put in place to ensure a minimum accuracy for fill-ups.

So ....

The question is: do I do an "inaccurate" tiny fill-up today, to get the closing numbers for this "month"? Or do we use my SG figures? I think I've used 1.x gallons, according to the SG.

Team slow burn might want to look for a replacement team member also, since I can't promise I'll burn 3 gallons next month. Sorry about that!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That's the situation I'm in, Lug - I haven't used 3 gallons since the start of the competition. (That's what sparked this discussion.)

I think it was originally put in place to ensure a minimum accuracy for fill-ups.

So ....

The question is: do I do an "inaccurate" tiny fill-up today, to get the closing numbers for this "month"? Or do we use my SG figures? I think I've used 1.x gallons, according to the SG.

Team slow burn might want to look for a replacement team member also, since I can't promise I'll burn 3 gallons next month. Sorry about that!
Why doesn"t the fill on the 3/21 count? Is it because you didn't have a 90 day value before that? You filled within the 28 day period. You would just have no gain for the cycle. Better than -5% for the team. And you have 29 days to burn 2.x gallons for the next cycle. Or in you case as soon as you get over 3 gallons. Let's not throw in the towel yet.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Why doesn"t the fill on the 3/21 count? Is it because you didn't have a 90 day value before that? You filled within the 28 day period. You would just have no gain for the cycle.
That's right: I wasn't on the boards with a 90-day figure until I did that fill. (So it's my starting value.)

I guess technically it's a fill within the competition period. So - yay, no penalty because of me. No benefit either, though.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #17
FE nut

This is just my $.02 worth. I want to start out by saying that I don't have any trouble meeting the 3 gallon min so for me it's not an issue. But, I have to wonder if it's really all that neccessary. Let me explain. I fill my tank ALL the way to the top every time so it seems to me that there would be very little if any chance for variation in fill-ups by using this method. I have done this on every car I've owned in the past(both new and used) and have had no problems with expansion/leakage or damaging the charcoal canister. I realize that this is a very personal issue and I'm not putting anyone down because they do things different than I do. Perhaps we could allow those who don't use a full 3 gallons to do the top-of-the-tank method since it would virtually eliminate any variations in fill accuracy? Again, just my $.02 worth. I would hate to lose MetroMPG on a technicality like that.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

Top-of-the-filler-neck is my usual filling method too. FWIW.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
ELF
Registered Member

I don't care how many gallons are used per month. If you penalize someone for not using any gas or very little gas it does not make sense. That is not what this forum is about, its about using less gas right??
Besides if someone like metro fills and checks his gallons used against his scangauge it should be accurate.

We should try to keep this as simple as possible, make it easy for every one to understand.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #20
Registered Member

One-Click

Now how about on "Ozone Alert" days?

Not to be stickler or anything