FETC Take II - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
*shrug*

That tricky part might be figure out able on the gaslog side of things.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

I think it can be a good thing to run the challenge in tough conditions - like winter. So what if it's more difficult to get good FE in bad weather. It happens to all of us. Just like maintenance issues, people needing rides, whatever.

When I first signed onto the challenge, I figured it might run year round, good weather and bad. It hits all of us, and by requiring each team to have a member north of Mason-Dixon, it hopefully hits us all more or less equally.

I'm not pushing to run it continuously, year round. I think there's already a concensus that a break was needed. But I'd be OK with Fall, Winter and Spring Challenges if it goes that way.

My two cents.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

I installed a drain pan heater for $60. I plug in my car for at least an hour each morning before leaving for work. It seems to have prevented the FE dip characteristic of fall/winter...check out my gaslog. Oh, does anyone know how to overcome the bug which chops off the last several gaslog data points?

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #14
XFi
Registered Member

I just assumed it ran continuously all year. Working towards good FE is an all year task. The challenge group helps some of us keep the enthusiasm (or try) for that task and challenges us to do better. I'm in whenever it is decided to start back up. My fuel mileage has dropped off considerably, but I'm sure everyone else is fighting with the cold and winterblends too.

Has it officially stopped? Do we need new teams? Who is in and who isn't?...

Let's just set a date for restart. 12/1/07?...01/01/08? Anyone?

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
Registered Member

11/5?
11/15?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
My fuel mileage has dropped off considerably, but I'm sure everyone else is fighting with the cold and winterblends too.
My numbers are already off by something like 5% and it hasn't even gotten super-cold here yet. Probably a combination of cooler temperatures, Winter gas, and a lot of before-light/after-dark driving.

I guess the Commish has it right: It'll be a contest to see which team gets dinged the least.

I'm a total newbie to the challenge but the Leftover Bananas honored me by taking me in, so I'm good to go any time. My schedule and routes will change a lot starting in December, but I have no idea if that will help or hurt... I guess we'll find out!

Rick
Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
DRW
Registered Member

A winter FE challenge should motivate us to do some other FE mods, like block heaters and LED running lights.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #18
XFi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
the competition was a good motivator up to a point for me. got me to try extensive EOC and nearly hit 50 mpg ~ +40%. by the same token i discovered i don't want to drive like that on a regular basis, hence my fe sliding back down to what it was before. also i've removed the aeromods, partly cuz they looked ridiculous and partly to see fe effect. i guess i'm not motivated enuf to be a good competitor- next mods will happen when they happen, probably not good enough for team performance
WHAT??? I Beg to Differ!!! Look at your percent over EPA numbers...just because you slid back a little on numbers doesn't mean you aren't going to be part of the team -or- leaving the competition! I have become a little relaxed on my driving habits too. I drive ALOT for work and it is hard to keep FE on the front of my thoughts when it is late and I have been driving for hours and just want to get home. It gets even more frustrating when you hit a wall and can't seem to squeak out anymore MPG....then the cold weather...then the winter blend gas...etc etc. YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB...You have been on this site for well over a year and have contributed to many forums and to Team OPEC Busters...Keep up the good work. Will see you at FETC Take II!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks buddy! -

our scoring basis is % improvement from wherever we start, right? i am backing off on p&g- still do it in town at stops and etc., but no more on the highway- so am expecting my fe to remain flat in the upper 30s/just into the 40s. it appears to me that if my aeromods did anything it's too little to measure. i am not writing off aeromods for good but i think in order to see real results you have to get more extreme i.e. full belly pan/boattail/top chop. i do have mechanical mods in mind but winter is bitter here and working out in the driveway is less fun than when warm so i wouldn't count on anything getting accomplished until spring.

basically i don't have anything in mind for fe improvement over winter
You need not improve... but rather who loses the least wins. It would be awesome to see a running average improve in the cold, though.

RH77
Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
well i'm in so i guess i'll see how little i can lose...
That's the spirit! Now, we just need a second team...

Right Lane Rollers, check in!

Or, anyone!

Commish