Few questions for easy, $0.00 modifications - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question Few questions for easy, $0.00 modifications

Hi, I'm new and I finally decided to join the forums. I drive a 96 Civic DX hatchback, automatic, in Florida (no problem with having a cold engine here). I average 32 mpg (EPA 29-36). Here's a few things I've done to increase my fuel economy:

Driving technique (slower accel, less braking)
Tire air pressure 40psi
General maintenence (spark plugs, wires)
Wash/Wax
K&N drop-in air filter
Slow fuel filling, filling when cold
Synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles

I believe in the "miles per dollar" method, so I'm not out to get high mpg just for the sake of high mpg, but rather to save money all around. I don't want to go spend $400 on some VX wheels with LRR tires just so I can get 1 mpg or $200 on an aftermarket header just so I can get another 0.5 mpg. It just doesn't make economic sense in my opinion.

My questions include:

1. What more can I do that would cost little to no money to get higher mpg? I'm not very technical, but I can do basic stuff like oil changes.

2. Would coasting in Neutral (my car is automatic!) help?

3. Would removal of the exhaust manifold heat shield help?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
EH3
Registered Member

1. drive slower. install lower grill block.
2. NO
3. NO

Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

1. remove weight from car, go on diet yourself
2. no, but putting it in N when car is stopped will help a bit, then go back to D when a green light comes
3. exahst heat shield is kinda heavy, it might benefit you
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well, I tried yesterday and today to drive at a lower top speed and put it in neutral at stop lights. I finally got 36mpg, a little above actually, based on 2 gallons of gas fillup. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Tire pressure even higher will help.
Coasting in Neutral will absolutely help mileage.
Exhaust manifold shield - no difference.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well on the miles per dollar front, you could stretch your oil changes to 10,000 miles or every spring, since you're using synth.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Well on the miles per dollar front, you could stretch your oil changes to 10,000 miles or every spring, since you're using synth.
Maybe get rid of the K&N, go with stock. In some of my cars, I have actually lost MPG because of a K&N. Increase your operating temperature by a couple of Deg. That will help a bit. Under car aerodynamics?, Under driving your accessories?

Hope this helps

Alex
My Goal: 55MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteam View Post
Well, I tried yesterday and today to drive at a lower top speed and put it in neutral at stop lights. I finally got 36mpg, a little above actually, based on 2 gallons of gas fillup. Thanks!
lol only 2 gallons? i can fit that much in the filler neck of my car...
go for at least half as tank then see what it is.

thats NOT a very accurate measurement at all, more fuel you put in with higher milleage number more accurate it is
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Registered Member

Why the difference in opinion regarding coasting in "N" on an automatic trans?
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Because most cars since the early 90s have had injector shutoff above certain RPM when the throttle is closed. Ergo, you could be using more gas idling the motor than letting it engine brake. Also if your tranny doesn't run the pump in neutral (most do) then you might burn the fluid when you put it into neutral when it's warm at highway speed.

IMO in most areas traffic conditions are such that you'll never get to coast very far in neutral anyway, and also aero drag at higher speeds seems to slow you quicker than the motor does, so unless you're in the wide open lonely spaces with straight roads you can see down for miles you'll probably get as much benefit out of the injector cut as you get out of neutral coasting.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote