Fill ups and gas tanks - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Fill ups and gas tanks

How many people here just itch to run their gas tanks down so they can check their true mileage? Oh man, I'm down to a quarter tank of exceptional Scangauge monitoring, shutting off the engine at lights, lots of pulsing and glideing, a new route to and from work that adds mpgs, etc. I can't wait to find my mileage! On another note, has anyone considered installing a larger gas tank to get a more accurate reading when they fill up and average? Plus there would be the added benefit of not having to fill up so often. While looking under my truck yesterday, I noticed there is a lot of wasted space around the factory tank. Plus, if I built it correctly, it would help to smooth the underbody.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member

With my commute, I'm pretty much on a schedule of filling up every three days. Still, I know what you mean about being anxious to fill-up, to prove the SG right on my good FE.

I'd carry my 6-gallon red plastic gas can in the car, but we all know the safety concerns about that, right? Right?

Incidentally JD, my initials are DJ (First and middle). I could easily have been named John III after my dad and grandfather, but it's my middle name.

And a stranger coincidence, my new boss' four-digit office extension is the same as my old job's boss. "Meet the new boss... same as the old boss."

At least my number is not still 6666. I got comments about that at work all the time. But it's the internal "emergency" number. Gah! Can't get away from that number!

"I want my number to be all 2's. When somebody asks me my number, I can say, 'Just press 2 for awhile. When I answer, you will have pressed 2 enough'." -Mitch Hedburg, comedian... RIP

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdham137 View Post
... On another note, has anyone considered installing a larger gas tank to get a more accurate reading when they fill up and average? Plus there would be the added benefit of not having to fill up so often.
Meh, I wouldn't want to add the weight... The difference between empty and full now kinda feels like that time I ate a taco bell after not doing so for 3+ years But that's mostly because I spend my time in the city, rather than cruising

I only just got my SG -- in the middle of this current tank And I forgot to set my tank size So I need to calibrate it next fill-up

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Supporting Member

i feel the same somtimes when i think im getting a good tank.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdham137 View Post
How many people here just itch to run their gas tanks down so they can check their true mileage?
Since my Scangugue's 'gallons used' indicator has been very accurate for quite some time, I no longer feel the urge to fill my tank early to prove my FE being right or wrong anymore.

Now filling up my tank to officially be able to enter my gaslog, that's another story . Climbing up the top-10-list is addictive !
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, JD, if you are all the way down to a quarter, you could just go crazy and fill up...? I don't think that anyone would criticize you as some sort of fill-up debaucherer or anything...
Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I find that filling up on the same day of the week i.e. sunday works out better for me since I usually get gas out of the city when I travel home - actually out of the state since it is 10 cent or more a gallon less in Mass and I live a mile from the boarder. With the xB I don't have the 2 gallons left gets me 100 miles anymore it only gets me 80 on a good day and the 1/4 tank mark is not 4 gallons more like 3 at less miles per gallons so that little extra 20 miles weighs heavy on a 11.9 gallon tank. No one seems to make a second tank for the xB however.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
No one seems to make a second tank for the xB however.
Actually, I neglected to mention that I'm learning how to weld plastic and would build the tank myself. Does anyone know what type of plastic gas tanks are made of? I assume polypropelyne. Since I'll be making it myself, if I make it, I'll be able to completely customize it to conform to every nook and cranny. But that project will have to wait until I finish my other project, converting my VW Thing to electric and that won't happen until after I move to Florida in July. Even though it will have a large weight penalty, I think I'm going to do it anyhow. I'm not sure weight has too much of an impact on my mpg. The other day, I drove with a load of oak pallats in the bed of my truck and still got good mileage. It didn't seem to make any difference. The pallats probably weighed about 150 to 200 pounds.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

Right! I forgot about your plans for a Thing conversion. That in my opinion will be one of the coolest EV's around. No question.

As for the tank - I'm with Trebuchet. I'd go for the smaller tank, not a bigger one. Save weight.

I'm actually leaning towards: doing a full fill-up, then syphoning most of the fuel out and adding it as needed until the next fill up.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Just buy a bunch of gas cans and fill them up in the first place then unload them and save moving the gas back and forth. Better yet get a big gas storage tank for $100 and just fill it up. Only problem is they are designed to be stationary not transported in a trunk or pickup.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote