Finally getting an SL1 - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #21

on my 94 ive seriously been considering some L brackets and lexan to make flush headlight covers. kinda like the old ferrari's were the light was way recessed into the fender and then covered with plexi to smooth it out. my saturn would be perfect for that. i could even through on some tint too.

i think 50mpg may be doable in the auto but its gonna take some decent work. definately aint gonna be done with driving style.

kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #22
Registered Member

I'll go ahead and run my mouth... why not.

I think I'll hit 50mpg this summer in the car, assuming it has no mechanical issues.

How I'll do it is simple.

55-60mph speed
50psi in tires
no A/C useage
no cruise control
mild drafting
HAI at 150*F+
Ambient temp of 80*F+
driven during daylight so no exterior lighting needed

This was the exact formula for the success of my 47mpg record in my SL2, no reason why it shouldn't work the same on this SL1.

Engine will be on, and in gear, the entire time. Tires are not LRR models.

The only other thing I might add would be the tape on the headlights and/or a grill block (worried of overheating though).

spot- I don't like the idea of caulking the headlight seams, I'm not that worried about it. If the tape proves to work, I might go as far as using some type of foam single-sided tape (door and window seal type) but that would be it.

You guys can hold me to this. I'll even post up before I take the trip and take requests on how I can go about doing this to prove the mileage is true. Like taking time/dated pics of the trip odometer at zero after fillup, then a time/dated pic of the trip odometer at the next fillup. and a pic of the receipt or the gas pump itself to prove how much gas was added.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #23
Banned

gotta love how old technology blows away the new stuff
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #24

if your not gonna use a/c have you considered deleting it? on my 94 its as simple as an $11 belt. i know in previous cars bypassing the a/c system was wortha good 2-3mpg. the only reason i havent done it to this car is i think the a/c may actually work. ill probably bypass it for a short time just to see the results anyway along with the ps pump. the nice thing about my car is that those accessories are options and easily gotten rid of, not sure of the newer ones.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
Registered Member

I hadn't thought of that. If I can delete it by using a different belt and I don't have to remove the compressor, I'll probably do that. The compressor is the last thing bolted to the accessory side of the engine, so I assume I could just do like you said and put the non-A/C belt on there and gain some mileage.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
Site Team / Moderator

If you don't turn the a/c on the clutch should be deactivated, and the belt should just spin easily on the pulley. I think the drag should be minimal. Loosen your belt, and just spin the a/c pulley. It should spin very easily when the system is not engaged. It certainly doesn't hurt to try, but I don't see any measurable gains from disconnecting it, unless you have bearing or clutch issues in your compressor.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit352 View Post
if your not gonna use a/c have you considered deleting it? on my 94 its as simple as an $11 belt. i know in previous cars bypassing the a/c system was wortha good 2-3mpg. the only reason i havent done it to this car is i think the a/c may actually work. ill probably bypass it for a short time just to see the results anyway along with the ps pump. the nice thing about my car is that those accessories are options and easily gotten rid of, not sure of the newer ones.
thats why i gave my old system away ive done this on my saturn, it didnt work, i couldnt really tell much of a difference and ive also heard its only a 1mpg gain, also a pain but not too hard to do jack up wheel ect

i was more looking to loose weight i look off the ac hoses too(hard)

keep your condensor on though it protects your radiator and keeps it warmer

i cut about 100 lbs outta this caa

shifts so much better
Old 03-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #28
Registered Member

I got the car yesterday, detailed the engine, clay barred the exterior, and detailed the interior. Aside from carpet stains, the car now looks showroom condition.

I couldn't be happier. She sold it at such a value thinking the paint was doomed. She had parked it for several years, under a bilboard that apparently leaked glue residue during rainstorms, down onto the car. The hood and driver's side of the car were stained this awful brown color. Looked like the driver's side was pewter in color, not silver.

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound removed EVERYTHING, then I clay barred the car to get paint scuffs and tar off. It's in the garage waiting on finishing wax then it'll be getting registered!

Pics will be added as soon as the sun comes out!

I plan to drive it a few weeks w/o a HAI to get a baseline.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #29
Banned

not bad, 1200 is great for a car worth 4k!

but I was hoping for insta 50mpg results guess I'll have to wait like that episode of South Park where Cartman freezes himself. Some weighty objects worth getting rid of are: Trunk Lining, ac hoses/compressor/brackets, tow bracket(rear bumper) Center Console bucket(5lb), it'll leave a little thing to throw stuff in(more comfortable, more room). Rear speakers too, just get good front ones.

As for stuff that I wouldn't recommend.. carpet and lining soaks up water, and legal..repaint the floors.. there will be rust...

plus, if you vaccum everything, sometimes you can pull 2-3lbs of dirt out of the car in the winter. Then clean all the dirt out from under neath the car with a dust brush rag ect and thats worth another 2 lbs.. then you'll want to repaint the bottom side of your car, so you aren't replacing parts all the time..

also you might want to remove this cars built in wind brakes, or modify the front of the front wheel wells, cut holes near the edge of the quarter panel with a 5/8 drill bit to allow air to pass through instead of being trapped. plus you have that giant wind break called your rear bumper too, you can modify that to allow air to more easily escape from underneath your rearside. I'm all for more psi in the rear than front too...
Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #30
Registered Member

spot - what's wrong with you?

Why bother with all that 2-3lb junk? I'm just gonna roll it as is. I'm probably going to register it Thursday and put it on the streets starting next week. I'm in no rush though. I have a strong connection to my '96 and I'm sad to see it getting pushed aside.

What sucks is I just got a rare optional center console for the '96 SL2 that doesn't fit the '01+ cars. So now that I'm used to having an armrest for my right arm, I'll be without it again in the '01. I could probably swap entire center consoles, but the plastic "desing" was changed at some point and the textures don't match. Also, my aftermarket cd player in the '96 has input for MP3 player and the '01 has the OEM cd player that still works fine, though it has no input for mp3.

I'm debating a few swaps onto the '01 from the '96. One might be the steering wheel, also considering swapping the cruise control over. Though I don't use it, I realize it's valuable for resale. Also, my alloys and touring tires from the '96 might replace the steel wheels and hub caps and all season tires on the '01. Wish I could swap the sunroof!! LOL I might also swap sway bars. SOHC cars don't have a rear bar.

'01 KTM Duke 2