For the Honda Civic VX Ca and Fed expert - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

For the Honda Civic VX Ca and Fed expert

Hello everybody, this is my first post on gassavers.org. I have a question that have been itching my lately. I'm from California so let assume that I have a CA Civic Vx. If I wanted to transform it into a Fed 49 states Vx with the lean burn, do all I need is the 5 wires 02 sensors and the 49 states ECU. Assuming I wires the the 5 wires 02 sensors correctly into the 49 states ECU. Or is there something else that I also need for it to transform into a 49 states lean burn Vx. Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks

GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

that is all you need. I just did the conversion. I bought a new L1H1 o2 sensor packaged by bosch at autozone for $199. I found the connectors I needed at various locations in the engine bay on a doner junkyard honda.You don't need to run wires all the way to the ecu, just to the connectors on the right strut tower. It is pre wired from there. there are good threads on this forum explaining it all.

veeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

If it is a 92 Model I believe all you need is the Federal ECU.

regards
gary
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
If you could look at the numbers on your ECU that is currently in the car we can tell you what version of VX it is....if the last set of numbers are L00 or L01 it will be a CA model. If the last set of digits are A00 or A01 then it is the Federal (49 state) model already. you can also look at the number of wires running into the O2 sensor.

If you have the four wire O2 sensor then you will need to get the proper connectors, the proper (5 wire) O2 sensor, and the A00 or A01 version federal ECU and wire up the O2 sensor.

If you already have a 5 wire O2 but your ECU reads L00 or L01 for the last digits, then you have a 92 CA model VX. If that is the case, to make the transition to lean burn, you only need to get an A00 or A01 ECU and plug it in....piece of cake.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for all the reply everybody. Actually I want to do the CRX vx swap but I want the Fed version. So assuming I have everything (obd0-obd1 ecu jumper, obd0-0bd1 jumper distributor, and other necessary wiring and connectors) all I need is a fed Civic VX ECU and correct wiring from the ECU to the 5 wires 02 sensor...If that's right than thanks for all your help. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Good luck with the conversion.
Just wondering what needs to take place to add the fifth wire to the o2 sensor? Does it already exist in the engine wire harness & ECU or do you have to add an additional wire going from the ECU to o2 Sensor connector? since you're doing a swap at least the harness will be out.

Also I don't know how extreme you plan to get but the CA tranny might have closer gearing than the FED Tranny. But I'm pretty sure you plan to run a cable tranny from a HF (or DX at least).
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
...but the CA tranny might have closer gearing than the FED Tranny.
Say what? That is utter nonsense. The VX trannys are identical Fed or CA.
SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoupe View Post
Quote:
...but the CA tranny might have closer gearing than the FED Tranny.
Say what? That is utter nonsense. The VX trannys are identical Fed or CA.
I'm really glad you rebutted this because it made me look for the thread where I found this information. Well I found it and here it is: GasSaver.org Thread

As you read you'll see that this isn't the VX tranny but the HF tranny. Which is even more pertinent to this thread since the swap is going into a CR-VX

Quote:
[since]But I'm pretty sure you plan to run a cable tranny from a HF (or DX at least).
So now if you do go with an HF tranny make sure its not a CA HF tranny... look for the FED HF Tranny!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yea I have both CA and FED CRX HF tranny. I recently bought a CRX here in CA and it turned out to be a FED CRX HF. The gears was tall which I thought it was normal for all CRX HF. Anyway the engine had like 250,000 miles and was burnning oils so I located another used low miles HF engine. After putting the new engine in I noticed that the gear was shorter now. I'd thought the last owner might have put a DX tranny on it but it's actually a CA HF tranny. The CA tranny is actually a little better to drive around because of the shorter gears but MPG is not as good. I was hitting 45 to 54 mpg on the FED tranny. Averaging 50 mpg. On the CA tranny my personal best was 45 mpg and getting as low as 38 mpg. I would say that there's a difference of 5-7 mpg between the two tranny. If you just throw out the number it doesn't sound alot but when you times 5-7 mpg to 7 gallons that's a difference 35 to 49 more miles per a tank.