Ford Transit Gas v. Diesel MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question Ford Transit Gas v. Diesel MPG

Does anyone know the actually gas mileage difference in the 3.7-liter V6, the turbocharged EcoBoost V6, and the 3.2-liter turbo diesel 5-cylinder? I know the EcoBoost will out perform the 3.7 V6, but how much? Then what kind of mileage does the 3.2 liter turbo diesel get?

H2ORx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
I don't see the diesel as a option on ford.com (just 1.6 Eco boost or 2.5 L gas) but no matter EB all the way !

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think you are looking at the Transit Connect, and not the full size Transit van.
2016 Ford Transit Full-Size commercial Van/Wagon | Ford.com

Unfortunately, they aren't required to publish fuel economy figures for the larger trucks. The F150 has the two gasoline engines for options, and they are rated really close. Not sure how the extra weight of a van will effect them though.

What will the van be used for? Hauling bulky, but light, items, the NA V6 may be all you need. With heavy goods, and regular towing, the diesel would likely give the best overall fuel economy.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

This is just purely speculation (because like was stated, the EPA doesn't fuel economy test heavy-duty vehicles), but I'd guess the turbo diesel gets far better real-world mpg in the transit than the Ecoboost 3.5 counter part in the Transit, especially when it's hauling stuff or multiple persons for the simple fact that there are just too many advantages from an efficiency standpoint of compression ignition versus spark ignition. However, this particular diesel, this 3.2 I5, is hardly one of the more modern diesel designs by Ford and cannot be compared to the more refined, quieter, better performing V6 and V8 diesel engines out there used in other vehicles (not in the U.S.), and therefore, it is not the most refined, most capable for it's displacement, most efficient, nor is it going to be the highest performing diesel as compared to comparably-sized diesels found in modern vehicles. What this diesel is, however, is one of the more affordable available in this country at only about $3500 over the price of the Ecoboost. Try building another diesel-powered truck or van online and come away only $3500 more than the 2nd level engine price; it ain't happening. It's usually going to force you into a higher-featured vehicle than what you want or need and an extra $7K or so that what you could have paid for the truck or van that you wanted; only with a diesel engine.

Conversely, the 3.5 Ecoboost engine choice in the Transit is among Ford's latest and greatest spark-ignition choices from their engine inventory, and when you consider these facts and then add in the price premium for the diesel engine (even as it is an aging design) at or about $3500, even as big of a diesel-power fan as I am, I might opt for the gas engine in this case.

But from a pure fuel economy standpoint, I'd guess that the 3.5 Ecoboost with it less-than-steller mpg in the F150, and considering the track record of most any decently-designed diesel engine, the real-world mpg of the 3.2 I5 would far exceed that of the Ecoboost and less narrowly exceed that of the standard gas V6, but from a performance and refinement standpoint, due to the antiquity of that diesel engine, the 3.2 I5 would probably come in dead last. Again, just speculation because I've not driven any of them. But even if my best guess is all true, this should not be held against diesel technology in general, because something like the Ram Ecodiesel and the GM new 4 cylinder Duramax and even Ford's V6 built in Mexico for export to Europe and Asia will pretty much blow away any spark-ignition competitors for overall refinement, efficiency, and practicality standpoint. It's just that this 3.2 I5 is older technology than what it's being compared against; both gas power and diesel power. What you will find, however, is that any on-road diesel offered in the U.S. is going to cost the consumer alot more dollars, and that's due to the unreasonable emission regulations mandated on the fuel saving technology of diesel power trains as it relates to nitrogen oxides, a harmless gas, that must meet the same standards as gas engines, which is a farce since NOx is a by-product of lean combustion and gas engines run rich by comparison and have no problem keeping that harmless gas from escaping, since they don't produce much of it to begin with.
gregsfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

NOx isn't a harmless gas, but a precursor for smog. It is why L.A. had horrible air in the '70s, and Paris and London have such today.

An argument can be made that the current EPA levels applied to diesels are too strict, but there are limits needed. On the other side, gasoline cars that exceed the particulate limit that put a filter on diesel exhaust should also have such a filter.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

In my opinion, they need to test the N0X levels on all cars more often in the US, as I've mentioned numerous times, once a gasoline car reaches a certain age/mileage, it's been reported that the N0X levels are considerably higher than a new diesel car, but from what I can gather, the levels are only tested once when the vehicle is new.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
LDB
Registered Member

Some counties now require an annual emission check as part of the renewal process, Harris (my county) being one of them. I don't know how much of the nation has that requirement but the major metro areas of Texas all do and I'm sure there must be other areas that do as well.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

I believe most major metro areas of the US require emission inspects every year or two. EPA regulations allow for decreased emission equipment performance in gasoline and diesel cars. It is actually in the worn out requirements where the standards for cleaner cars are tougher. Bin 1(the cleanest) to bin 5(the minimum) all have the same pollutant limits when the car is new. Though, in order to meet the worn limits, the cleaner cars will surpass the new limits by a larger margin.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Some counties now require an annual emission check as part of the renewal process, Harris (my county) being one of them. I don't know how much of the nation has that requirement but the major metro areas of Texas all do and I'm sure there must be other areas that do as well.
Another Harris county resident here (smog/emissions & safety test every 12 months) but if someone's car won't pass there is a Vehicle Replacement Assistance Program available (if not worth fixing)

AirCheckTexas Drive a Clean Machine — Vehicle Replacement Assistance Program - TCEQ - www.tceq.texas.gov

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote