Friction Reducing Oil and Other-Type Additives - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
*shrug*

Friction Reducing Oil and Other-Type Additives

So, JanGeo swears by these it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) but I've never really heard much about this stuff other than oil additives and the like are bull. Are there any good links/arguments that'd get me to try the stuff in hopes of killing friction?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

again, check out

again, check out www.bobistheoilguy.com plenty of info over there. For additives, they like Valvoline synthetic oil treatment and the Valvoline high mileage treatment, and thats even though they pretty much don't like reg valvo oil, some guys over there do extensive testing on used and unused oil to get thier info. And by the way, i use the VSOT and like it okay, hard to explain i guess.

I can't really remember any other additives besides the Lube Control (supposed to extend oil life, can't remember about friction modifyers) that really get talked about, they agree that Most additives are just rip offs, but some, Some are worth it

chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
additives

All my cars died from rusting out, none from engine failures. They all got better mileage than when new, better than epa rating. 65Rambler 100+K 72-81, 80Rabbit 164k 81-93, 94Geo 90k 93-2005, 06Scion xB 2005-

I got a 15oz Slick 50 at Walmart for $11 - worth a shot? I used some slick50 grease on a heavy sliding pocket door and now it slides so easy that it bounces back open again. I uses Slick50 engine additive full strength on small motors for lube on my RC planes. I even use the grease on my gates sycronous belt drive on my electric scooter to get rid of the squeek. Can't wait to put some in the xB engine after the first oil change. Got the fuel low light coming on last night after 399.1 miles since filling up - it went out when I got on level road and came back on at 410 miles - scangauge says 44.4mpg average for the tank so far. Gas gauge is a little below 1/8 tank and I will be stuffing it full again this weekend and calibrate the scangauge. It is a 11.9 gallon tank and should have 1.5 to 2.5 gallons left in it when the low fuel light comes on.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

can somebody please explain

can somebody please explain the numbers to me????

like what does 10W-30 mean?? Also I live where there is no winter and I currently use 10W-30, could I switch to a thinner oil and what numbers will that be?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
FE nut

Re: can somebody please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888

like what does 10W-30 mean?? Also I live where there is no winter and I currently use 10W-30, could I switch to a thinner oil and what numbers will that be?
First of all, before I respond, I want to say that I am NOT a dealer in these products. I use Amsoil 0W-30 in my Saturn. According to the information on their site, they guarantee the 0W-30 to work in any engine that requires 10W-30 or lower in it.
Basically the numbers 10W etc reffer to the weight of the oil when cold and it's ability to flow. The other number, -30 etc., is the weight that the oil performs like when up to operating pressure and temperature. I would think that since you live where there is no winter that 0W-30 should do fine in your car. Maybe with that and some of their synthetic gear lube you might have an easier time hitting your 40+ mpg highway numbers?

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
*shrug*

Personally I'm going to go

Personally I'm going to go for 0w20 or 5w20, dunno yet though. Might try this slick50 stuff too.

Quote:
some of their synthetic gear lube
Wussat?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Re: can somebody please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888

First of all, before I respond, I want to say that I am NOT a dealer in these products. I use Amsoil 0W-30 in my Saturn. According to the information on their site, they guarantee the 0W-30 to work in any engine that requires 10W-30 or lower in it.
Basically the numbers 10W etc reffer to the weight of the oil when cold and it's ability to flow. The other number, -30 etc., is the weight that the oil performs like when up to operating pressure and temperature. I would think that since you live where there is no winter that 0W-30 should do fine in your car. Maybe with that and some of their synthetic gear lube you might have an easier time hitting your 40+ mpg highway numbers?
does synthetic gear lube mean tranny fluid???
I talked to some people and they highly recommend Matic D for transmission oil by nissan. Those people don't work for the dealer. Also the oil in the transmission is not the problem, I had checked and it's still new. The problem is either the torque converter or the clutchpacks. The transmission is not allowing me to get the 40mpgs. Most altima owners get 32-35mpg on the freeway and they don't have the aero crap or the pumped up tires.

About Amsoil, how much is it for a quart and how often YOU change it?

Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
FE nut

Quote:About Amsoil, how much

Quote:
About Amsoil, how much is it for a quart and how often YOU change it?
I'll have to look up the prices but I change my oil about twice a year. That was because their filters were reccomended to be changed every 12,000 miles or so. They have since came out with a filter that is gauranteed to last for a year. When I use my last oil filter I'll switch to the new kind. That should be about next October. The synthetic auto trans fluid may still benefit you. It is supposed to stand up to temperature better and also help things to not wear as quick.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Amsoil

The regular gear lube for manual transmissions is fantastic stuff - I used it in my wabbit - on 0 degree days I could not get out of first gear with the standard stuff - when I used the amsoil it was like a summer day shifting at 0 degrees out.

Automatic transmissions are another story but if Amsoil makes something for it - it should be good. If that Nissan has been run in warm weather all the time you may want to change the tranny oil.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Re: Amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
The regular gear lube for manual transmissions is fantastic stuff - I used it in my wabbit - on 0 degree days I could not get out of first gear with the standard stuff - when I used the amsoil it was like a summer day shifting at 0 degrees out.

Automatic transmissions are another story but if Amsoil makes something for it - it should be good. If that Nissan has been run in warm weather all the time you may want to change the tranny oil.
The tranny oil was changed 11K ago. My cousin screwed up the tranny by downshifting my auto at freeway speeds and putting it in N and back to D.