Fuel Efficiency: Missing the simple things? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
Without a scangauge, or some other feedback device, I wouldn't drive in such a high gear, yes, you can drive very carfully in a high gear, but even the slightest nudge of the gas pedal could make it dump extra gasoline in, making it run less efficently, and making your mileage drop.
That's actually a really good theory. Next tank I'll try driving in 4th instead of 5th at 30mph and see if it makes a difference. My car is REALLY poorly equipped... it doesn't even have a RPM guage!

Does anyone know where I could get a Scanguage-like device for less money? I like buying things used instead of new. I thought about ripping one out of an old 80s Cadillac in a junk yard.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Walmart is stupid.

One of my old customers decided my price for a service was too high so one time they decided to go to K-mart auto.(similar to walmart) to get them to do it.

They put it put it into the lift bay , popped the hood , then raised the car on the lift.
The front of the hood hit the roof of the building squashing it into half its original size.

K-mart got it fixed (new hood and paint) , but its just a typical example of you getting what you pay for.

I have also heard of cars going to these quicky lube type of places fro a tune and coming back running worse that sent.

Ohh yeah , my customer never went back to K-mart and stayed loyal to my firm after that.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Friend of mine went to the local ripoff gas station to have his winter tires put on his Saab - they charged him $40 - and over tightened the lugs with an impact wrench.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Not sure if the timing belt causes valve lash when it fails (someone chime-in here), but I'd check that for longevity and to get the timing right anyways.
RH77
Thats an odd , question....I will just see if I get that rite.

Does valve lash (the summed clearance of valve train parts) increase when a timing belt fails.?

When the cam timing belt breaks it is typical that most engines will get bent valves.
Then valve lash is the least of your trouble.

Remember that even in normal opperation the pistons only miss the edges of the valve by a few MM.

If it happens at high rpm then its possible to bend or break all valves and perhaps hole pistons and score bores.

So stick to the factory recomended service schedule for belts., its cheap insurance.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
On the 1 liter 3 cylinder the valves don't hit the pistons according to my friend service manual but that depends upon the year. A worn belt can cause some timing fluctionations in the valves and the ignition timing. With that many miles on the engine I would probably check the belt to see if there is anything left of it ASAP.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #16
Registered Member

Specifically for the metro engine its probably a 50% chance of valve damage if the belt breaks.

This depends on exactly what 1.0 metro we are talking about - theres a twin rocker shaft version with a fat rocker cover and theres the thin alloy rocker cover engine that has in line valves.

The thin rocker cover engine could survive , but the fat rocker cover engine probably wouldnt.

The valves in that engine have more angle to them, which reduces clearance.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #17
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Thats an odd , question....I will just see if I get that rite.

Does valve lash (the summed clearance of valve train parts) increase when a timing belt fails.?

When the cam timing belt breaks it is typical that most engines will get bent valves.
Then valve lash is the least of your trouble.
That sounds like valve 'crash,' not 'lash.'

BTW, even if you don't know if the plugs have been changed in 146,000 miles, take them out and look at them anyway. You can tell a lot about your combustion from what the plugs look like (too rich, too lean, oily, etc.). Of course when the electrodes are all eroded away, you'll wonder how it worked at all (don't ask how I know this). Then just put new ones in.

As for a new air filter, it will help keep the engine breathing freely and atomizing gas efficiently. On my Passat, there was a screen (I think it was a snow filter) in the intake box. All air had to come through it but it was clogged with years of fine road dust. After I scrubbed it with carb cleaner, my FE improved noticably.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #18
Registered Member

Peakster, if you're getting EPA mileage @ 55/60 mph in steady speed driving, you're doing about as well as you can expect from a regular Metro. There's nothing wrong with your car.

I've owned 2 Fireflies, and they are without question the most optimistically EPA / NRCAN rated cars I've had (had lots). Check my speed vs. mpg graph here for the story in a nutshell:
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/speed-vs-mpg.htm

The only reason I'm getting ridiculous numbers with my current car is because (1) I don't drive in real-world (ie average) conditions, and (2) I use hard-core hypermiler techniques (3) on top of numerous tested mods.

The engineers either tried awfully hard to spec the cars to excel in the government test cycles, or they just got lucky.

The Metros will not excel at highway efficiency without extensive aero mods, through which you may be able to gain a 15-18% FE improvement at speeds around 55 mph.

They have excellent potential in low/medium speed pulse and glide/ CODFISHing due to the low weight and low engine power.

Seriously though: get a scangauge. Watch eBay. The used SG1's are going for around $75 US these days. It'll pay for itself, and you can bring it with you to your next vehicle.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
used SG1's are going for around $75 US these days. .
If you see one for sale at that price point it my way PLZ.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #20
Registered Member

That's what saved searches and "watch this item" are for, silly.

Should have said: $75 is the lower end of the scale I've seen recently. You'd likely have to let a number of auctions go before you got one at that price.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote