Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

i think its just for fuel injected vehicles....sorry

Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
very true, more boost = more fuel = more power. staying out of boost range works well though

it might be a bit too in depth than what you're looking for, but take a look at megasquirt. its a total open source stand alone engine computer. its really made for people that want to play. not overly expensive since you can actually buy a kit and solder it together yourself - theres also pre-built units.

anyhow hook it up to a laptop and you can change *anything* you want to.

the downside is that its a lot of extra screwing around, can have some issues with emissions laws (if they find it i guess lol) and by the looks of things wiring can be an ***.
This megasquirt doesn't do anything I can't already do with my stock ECU, Openport cable, and laptop.
And the changing maps this way can't be detected by ODBii emission checks.

OUScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotaneagle View Post
funny vetts r faster and get better mpg must be the aerodynamic's
Possibly. More likely it's the reduced drivetrain losses... Drag from all the extra hardware needed for an AWD system can put a noteworthy dent in fuel economy.
If you really want to compare the two, it's worth noting that the most expensive WRX starts at roughly 10 grand cheaper than the least expensive 'vette. 10 grand will buy a lot of gas, and a hatchback with all wheel drive will prove far more practical for day-to-day tasks and dealing with inclement weather than a rear wheel drive sports car.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Registered Member

So just drove off a full tank with this map. Went 296.5 mile on 12.332 gl of gas, for 24.04mpg. The tank was driven off with a good mix of city and freeway driving both with varying amounts of traffic, so it is an improvement over my 21mpg average, still I've seen fuel economy this high on tanks where it was almost all highway driving. For the first half of driving this tank I was taking it easy on the car looking for knock and making sure the map ran OK so the slight increase in mpg could easily be attributed to driving style. Still I'll leave this tune on for now, driving off another tank how I would normally drive and see what figures I get then. Over all this fuel save tune doesn't see to be working well.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vxdude
I just filled up the wrx the other day and averaged 26.345mpg, with mixed driving
vxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxdude View Post
I just filled up the wrx the other day and averaged 26.345mpg, with mixed driving
Damn, you beat even my fuel save map. I wish I had more restraint with my right foot. That's the purpose of this map, to try and stay out of the boost, because I can't help but use that power otherwise.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUScooby View Post
This megasquirt doesn't do anything I can't already do with my stock ECU, Openport cable, and laptop.
And the changing maps this way can't be detected by ODBii emission checks.
i'm not doubting you here, just curious as one day in the (hopefully) near future i want to build up a turbo 1jz supra...what exactly is an openport cable? can it reprogram any stock computer or just a few manufacturer's?

how do they check for the obd2 emissions regarding the computer? i thought they just took a quick check under the hood and then hooked the thing up to the dyno/emissions computer...
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #28

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
i'm not doubting you here, just curious as one day in the (hopefully) near future i want to build up a turbo 1jz supra...what exactly is an openport cable? can it reprogram any stock computer or just a few manufacturer's?

how do they check for the obd2 emissions regarding the computer? i thought they just took a quick check under the hood and then hooked the thing up to the dyno/emissions computer...
The openport cable is Subaru/Mitsubishi specific, it also works on a few Mazdas. The new v2.0 is compatible with more vehicle but is still by no means universal.

As for emission testing it varies state to state, but generally they do an odbii check where the plug into the odbii port to look for cels and check a few "readiness" parameters
Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
CL AFR is set 14.7 rich 15.5 lean