Gas expected to peak at $3.60 a gallon - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #71
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Yeah, but you're asking someone to change the way they run their lives. Some people aren't willing to do that as easily as others are. They'll get it though, eventually.

When they look at their bank account and wonder where the hell all their money is, see they spend $80 a week on something and realize that gas is the reason they have no money they'll think twice. Too bad by the time they realize that they'll probably have no money to get a more fuel efficient car and will end up one of those people that complain about having no food while their hummer is out front.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Yeah, but you're asking someone to change the way they run their lives. Some people aren't willing to do that as easily as others are. They'll get it though, eventually.

When they look at their bank account and wonder where the hell all their money is, see they spend $80 a week on something and realize that gas is the reason they have no money they'll think twice. Too bad by the time they realize that they'll probably have no money to get a more fuel efficient car and will end up one of those people that complain about having no food while their hummer is out front.
hummers have NO purpose in this world except maybe the military, but thats it! If someone buys a hummer i hope they starve...(one less dumb***)

around here cheapest is $3.58... yea right peak at $3.60 a gallon my *** maybe in some podunk town in the middle of nowhere but everywhere else im willign to bet money on it that the avg will be over $4...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
good. that's the only way to get the american dipshnit's attention... unfortunately.
Perhaps, but I think we need a rate structure that does not punish the transportation and farming industry - and consequently, prices of consumeable goods. It's not the $3.70/gal we pay for gas around here that is severly cutting into our budget, but rather the price of food. We don't have to drive, but we do have to eat!

I think it makes allot more sense to charge significantly more by vehicle weight in higher fuel taxes at the pump. If one can buy a gallon of gas for $3/gal for their sub-compact, vs. $6/gal for their 3-ton SUV, there would be allot less SUV drivers. I think that it would also make sense to provide tax credits to businesses who's operation requires the use of larger vehicles.

Sure, you'd still get people taking advantage of the system, but most of them are already doing that, but it would get the average Joe out of his gas guzzler he uses to commute 50 miles to an office job!

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #74
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Transportation industry and farming can already write off the gas expense on their taxes; where I don't have enough deductions to itemize. I don't see how we can charge different prices at the pump for SUV's and cars. Another problem would be exactly where do you draw the line. Some SUV's get as good as some of the pointless " muscle cars " with the Hemi's and such.
One idea that comes to mind is for the government to send everyone a gas tax rebate check where I get the same amount as the guy with the big SUV or pickup.My Cavalier will go maybe three times as far on the same gas as the SUV,so the gas tax will be heaver on the SUV and also for those who needlessly just drive around and never consolidate trips to the bank,grocery store,trash dump,work,etc.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #75
Registered Member

That seems like a sensible approach that may be easier to implement. It would need to have limits such as one rebate per taxpayer - and owning a vehicle should not be a requirement - thus subsidizing alternate transportation via the consumers who use it. Unfortunately the problem I see with it is that most areas already charge taxes on fuel commensurate with actual needs of the community. Tacking an additional tax on for rebate purposes would likely meet with significant opposition and would in fact be a regressive tax against those with low incomes who MUST drive to work.

Of course a workaround for that can also be implemented through the tax structure, but aren't we overladen with enough if-ands-or-buts in the tax system already? That's where I think making people pay at the pump could be more practical to implement. It could all be keyed off of vehicle registrations and plates or tags.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Perhaps, but I think we need a rate structure that does not punish the transportation and farming industry - and consequently, prices of consumeable goods. It's not the $3.70/gal we pay for gas around here that is severly cutting into our budget, but rather the price of food. We don't have to drive, but we do have to eat!

I think it makes allot more sense to charge significantly more by vehicle weight in higher fuel taxes at the pump. If one can buy a gallon of gas for $3/gal for their sub-compact, vs. $6/gal for their 3-ton SUV, there would be allot less SUV drivers. I think that it would also make sense to provide tax credits to businesses who's operation requires the use of larger vehicles.

Sure, you'd still get people taking advantage of the system, but most of them are already doing that, but it would get the average Joe out of his gas guzzler he uses to commute 50 miles to an office job!
it seems as tho we agree on this subject.

there was a local story here in orlando, FL about a chain resaurant that shut down recently. NOT because of slow business, poor mgmt, or corp cuts. no, it shut down due mostly to high food cost. certainly this is directly related to fuel prices!

as far as those taking advantage of the system, gotta say again, two words...FAIR TAX. can't cheat on your taxes when you can't buy anything w/out paying them!!!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post

i understand your logic however...

many of the elite earners will continue to consume at will w/out thought or real consequence. and, many of the rest will continue to consume while taking on more debt to support their "outside of means" lifestyles even to the point of bankruptcy. or at least to never see the debt paid off.

meanwhile, those that have made the appropriate changes will(and are) get hammered financially, not just in fuel prices, BUT IN EVERY CONSUMER PRODUCT.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #78
Registered Member

If wishes were horse's then beggars would ride....
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #79
Registered Member

unfortunately, owning a horse is still 20X more expensive than owning a car...

yea the rich will continue to squander away recourses and spend money to keep their status level up.

the dumb people will get further in debt trying to pretend thier rich to chow off to the neighbors/friends

and then ya got the rest of us somewhat "normal"(whatever that is) folk who just try to do the best with what they got and don't give a crap what others think of us by what we drive/wear/eat/shop at/etc.

Ill wear pants a few days before i wash them as long as theres no major noticeable stains.

We get our food from ALDI's (some of you will know but if not imagine a very small sams club/costco type of place where food is super cheap and they keep it that way because A: theres no grocery baggers(your the bagger) B: the "shelves" are just the pallets of food in the middle of the store C: they charge you if you buy bags, or you can bring your own or just grab an empty box off one of the pallets D: theres no shopping cart getters, your it, you put in a quarter to unlock the cart, use it, return the cart you get your quarter back. Some of its name brand but sometimes its their own brand or other store brands, so it tastes great but super cheap (like a box of macaroni and cheese is $0.20, can of pringles is $0.79, Potato chips are $0.99, etc) i have yet to find something nasty from there lol.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
and then ya got the rest of us somewhat "normal"(whatever that is) folk who just try to do the best with what they got and don't give a crap what others think of us by what we drive/wear/eat/shop at/etc.
well said! we rarely buy name brands, new clothes, luxury purchases, etc.

the other thing that comes into play is mass transit. our local gov't in their infinite wisdom, keeps denying plans to get a light rail system going. so, unless you live in downtown orlando, it can take 2 hours to travel 10 miles on the bus system.

if anyone has ever been to central florida, you know that we have a much larger area of population than say new york or chicago, altho not as many people YET.

point being that locals here are being affected by gas prices without much choice in transportation. BTW, anyone choosing to ride a bike in this area better have good life insurance!