Gas Price Spike Everywhere? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
DRW
Registered Member

Gas Price Spike Everywhere?

I don't know how it is in other areas, but around here in the San Francisco Bay area gas prices have risen quickly lately. I was surprised yesterday when I filled up and 91 octane was up to $4.91! That's the highest I've ever paid. Have prices risen quickly in other areas of the country? I'm hoping that if it's just a local thing the price might fall again soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Since prices rarely fall as quickly as they rise, I've revived my gas saving habits that I formed back when gas spiked in 2008. I added 8 psi to all 4 tires, now they're at an even 45psi. It's still safe since they're rated for a max 51psi. I can feel the difference already. The car simply needs less throttle to maintain a steady speed. And yes I'm driving at a more steady speed trying to avoid rapid changes. Already it seems like other drivers on the freeway are driving similarly, they're holding a steady 55 to 60mph and keeping it smooth.

I've been maintaining 38mpg over the years despite some fun speedy driving and a few mods that add power while hurting FE slightly. With the spike in gas prices I'm going to push FE up higher and stretch out this tank of gas for a few extra mpg. I'm hoping to push it up to 42mpg on this tank. I'll update this thread and see if I still have the knack. Wish me luck!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Here in the DC area, its gone up a little, but there's no significant difference outside the area where I regularly buy my fuel. I filled up on 9/22 with 87 octane E0 for 3.749, and on 10/6 for 3.759.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
In New England it's been volatile all year, bouncing around...one month I'm getting premium for $3.95, another month it's $4.29. If it gets up to $4.91 and stays there I might start considering the knock sensor/electronic advance project again...
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm guessing there was a bit of the holiday weekend effect - especially here in New England where the leaf-peepers are clogging the roads something fierce...

I'm all ready for gas prices to start FALLing!

-Bob C.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hey guy! I just looked back at my gas log from the end of May in 2008 and gas was the same price as it is now so it's not like we haven't seen this price before! I thought that the price would come down a little when they switched to winter blend but apparently not this year.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

$8.36 (currency and metric converted) for diesel and I'm still alive and very well. Fuel is only about 1/3:rd of the total running costs for me anyway so frankly I don't care much when fuel price goes up. Don't worry guys, the car will be around for a very long time still even if your fuel prices would double.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8$PG View Post
$8.36 (currency and metric converted) for diesel and I'm still alive and very well. Fuel is only about 1/3:rd of the total running costs for me anyway so frankly I don't care much when fuel price goes up. Don't worry guys, the car will be around for a very long time still even if your fuel prices would double.
You def add a new perspective. I'm going WOT all the way to work tomorrow! Haha.

No but seriously, I'm actually going to try a different route to work for this tank and see how it compares in distance, time, and FE. I know there's fewer stops along the way, and I know it's a few miles longer but I never really quantified it. Lets see which route is better.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8$PG View Post
Very Interesting- what are the other 2/3rds of operating costs there in Sweden?
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

I don't want to speak for the entire country but for my car it is loss of value 1/3:rd and the remaining 1/3:rd is insurance, service costs, tires and road tax (in that order).
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Registered Member

California goes longer on summer blend than the rest of the country. Carb also demands their own blend be different than the rest. When one of the few, aging refineries that supply that blend goes down for maintenance(may have been a power outage this time), you get a shortage and prices spike.

The Ca governor got Carb to issue a waiver to allow winter blends in early, so the price should stabilize now.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote