Gas Prices? - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Well it is true that customers sometimes get "bad" fuel from stations. I've heard on several occasions of people having trouble and having to drop the gas tanks from their vehicles and have them flushed out, at the station's expense.
yup, there's one brand in particular here that used to be known for it.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #62
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Well there is still no stopping people from opening up the filling caps and dumping junk down there or getting flooded in snow storms etc.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #63
Registered Member

Some of you made mention of using stabilizer in gas to keep it fresh. Every fall I put stabilizer in my motorcycle tank then take it and fill it up. Then on nice days throughout the winter I can start it up and let it run some even if it's still too cold to ride. Since I started doing this I don't have near as much problem with the carbs getting gummed up and needing cleaned. I always try to make it a point to run my mowers until they run out of gas in the fall then refill them in the spring. Even doing that there has been times when I'd have to take the carb off because it would condensate through the winter and there would be water in the bowl of the carb.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #64
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Crap, that reminds me...my lawn tractor and my generator are both probably horribly gummed up. I haven't started either of them since the fall. My lawn tractor needs a lot of work anyway -- almost every system has a problem. I should probably replace it (with another used one) rather than do so many repairs.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #65
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Are you saying this is due to the gas?
Not sure but it could be a better fresher mix of fuel or a different blend since the last one even though it was from the same station. I have not checked my tires at all or added air to them but the weather is a little warmer too but like I said the last tank was really low compared to ALL prior tanks since the car was new. As an additional side note it has been starting harder so maybe the dirt thing is true as well . . . yah learn something new all the time.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #66
Registered Member

Gas prices went up $.09 a gallon at my regular station from Thursday till Friday.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #67
Registered Member

To my surprise, gas price in the Greater Vancouver Area has stayed under CAD$1 a liter (Regular). That is good! I did squeeze a few liters more into the tanks when I refilled my cars a couple of days ago. I don't always do that for fear of damaging the cars and affecting the accuracy of my mpg calculations. However, when the price is low, I do that once in a while. It's a form of hypermoneying .
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #68
Registered Member

I read an article yesterday about why gas prices are like 30 cents higher now than they were a few months ago even though oil price is the same. I'll try to find it to link, but the jist was that the price shown is based on West Texas Instrument crude (I think that's the name), but the price of that is now about $10 less than foreign stuff. Normally the foreign stuff is the same price or cheaper than the West Texas oil. But there are no pipes going from the west texas crude to most of the refineries in the southeast, because they always just shipped in the foreign stuff. So the crude being refined is foreign oil, which is now more expensive, and apparently it will cost quite a bit to lay the pipe to get the West Texas stuff there, and "somebody" predicts that the prices will eventually go back to normal so the pipes, if laid, wouldn't go to use.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU40 View Post
I read an article yesterday about why gas prices are like 30 cents higher now than they were a few months ago even though oil price is the same. I'll try to find it to link, but the jist was that the price shown is based on West Texas Instrument crude (I think that's the name), but the price of that is now about $10 less than foreign stuff. Normally the foreign stuff is the same price or cheaper than the West Texas oil. But there are no pipes going from the west texas crude to most of the refineries in the southeast, because they always just shipped in the foreign stuff. So the crude being refined is foreign oil, which is now more expensive, and apparently it will cost quite a bit to lay the pipe to get the West Texas stuff there, and "somebody" predicts that the prices will eventually go back to normal so the pipes, if laid, wouldn't go to use.
I read the same thing on line somewhere.....but can't find it now.