Gas Prices? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #51
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Speeking of gas . . . I filled up while the fuel delivery truck was there last time and so far this tank of gas is yielding much higher MPG than the last one which was very low for me like about 36mpg while this one is 43mpg average so far.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #52
Site Team / Moderator

I never get fuel where I see a delivery truck. All that crap is stirred up and ends up in your tank.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Oooh- usually when I see the delivery truck filling their tanks I keep on going. I've read about sediment and such getting stirred up when they fill. Sure, it's filtered, but still...

Just a superstition of mine. Might be something to it, might be bunk.
I have read about that also so I do what you do, but I always wonder if it is really true. Just in case it is, I go somewhere elce also.

And gas prices dropped a couple of pennies here and it is $1.97-1.99 in town here today.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #54
Registered Member

Now think about this . . . the tank is pumped from the bottom and it is run through water separators and filters in the pump before it get to your tank. Why would you think there is junk in the tank from a clean tanker. How much is going to get in the tank in the few seconds that the filler hose is inserted into the ground tank with thousands of gallons of gasoline to dilute it. If anything the nearly empty tank would have more air moisture in it than the fresh filled gasoline and be very well blended from the filling process.

It was also a fairly cold day so the tanker gas was probably colder than the ground temperature gasoline.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Heck, when we fired up Rusty last year, the fuel in the tank was 3 years old. I didn't like running on old fuel, but it did work. Once I got plates on it I did top off the tank though. Rusty isn't fuel injected.

Also, a friend & I have a van that we do nothing but drive to antique shows in. Its a 1 ton GMC van, and it goes maybe 500 miles a year, and can go for months at a time without even being started. It always starts right up, and I've never had a problem with "old gas" in it either.

It seems that lawnmowers, garden tractors, and other small engines like that are most sensitive to old fuel problems. When my sister was newly married, and didn't have the money to buy a lawnmower for her new house, dad went to the dump, picked up a mower, took it home and changed the oil & fuel and it started right up. Dad says that most lawnmowers don't start at the beginning of the season because of old gas, and people don't know that and just buy a new one.

-Jay
yea i noticed that too, our lawnmower gas seems to last for awhile but ive repaired some that ive dumped the old gas out and it looked like iced tea that was the sole cause of it running like crap.

my chevette and my dads VW ghia can start right up after sitting for long periods, his sits all winter in the garage and fires right up in the spring.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #56
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Why would you think there is junk in the tank from a clean tanker.
The hypothetical junk isn't from the clean tanker, it's whatever has collected over the years and settled to the bottom of the tank -- and is stirred up by the delivery splashing in.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #57
Registered Member

Gas coming out of a refinery is hot. Since pipelines are buried, it doesn't cool down much before being pumped into a truck. So depending on how far the truck has gone, that gas can still be quite warm going into the stations tanks.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #58
Registered Member

I don't think there are pipelines at these terminals here in New England. It is more likely they ship the fuel in with a gas barge up the Providence River and store it in tank farms in Providence until the tanker trucks deliver it to the stations.
Again the stuff in the tanks has to come from someplace . . . this needs some googling I think on how gas pumps work.

Makes me wonder just how far the oil companies would go to slowly damage our engines with gas additives so that we have to purchase new cars . . . we really are at their mercy.

UPDATE: Humm forget about any filtering in the pump!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #59
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The stuff in the tanks could come from a few places, by my guess:
  • Corrosion/deterioration of the tank itself, the truck, the port's storage tank, the barge, the hoses used to transfer it.
  • Debris dropped/wind-blown in and previously stuck to connectors, which would enter during hose connections.
  • Debris that falls in when the gas station's tank cover is opened for the delivery or to drop the dipstick in (do they still measure level with a wooden dipstick?).
When you follow the money (and that's what the oil companies are in it for, after all), I find it hard to believe that they would want to "slowly damage our engines with gas additives so that we have to purchase new cars".

I don't think the potential consipracy between oil companies and car manufacturers could be powerful enough for the oil companies to risk getting caught. The product is delivered to so many place and so many people, and it's so important, that it's almost certainly tested covertly by government and private agencies, as well as competing companies looking for a competitive advantage that could be gained by pointing out a contaminated supply.

Besides, oil companies directly benefit from the longevity of cars. While we're currently at a point where there are a few old models that are way more efficient than new cars, for the most part older models are less efficient; and, old beat-up badly maintained individual cars are certainly less efficient than new ones.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #60
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Around here the Costco stations got diesel in their gasoline tanks last year. It made for a lot of happy customers. lol