Gas Prices - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What's your local gas price?
Less than $4.00 30 48.39%
$4.00 - $4.25 20 32.26%
$4.26 - $4.50 5 8.06%
$4.51 and up 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Reel mowers are very cool, and if my lawn was smaller I'd use one. My lawn isn't huge but I'm way too lazy to walk so I have a 15hp lawn tractor.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
heck my model A engine has a 4:1 ratio, theres lots of storys about during the depression of people running them off moonshine...
Note to self: Find Model A, make moonshine.

ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MiddleMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Reel mowers are very cool, and if my lawn was smaller I'd use one. My lawn isn't huge but I'm way too lazy to walk so I have a 15hp lawn tractor.
To be honest it is no harder for me to push than the old 80lb + gas mower was. In fact in many ways I go a lot faster with it.

My lawn is kinda big but not overly so. Gets the job done. Plus, again, it's beer powered, and as luck would have it, I'm a home brewer, so it's like free fuel. Win win.
MiddleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
My mower runs on beer alone.

I drink a beer, then start pushing it. The 20" reel starts spinning as I push, the grass cuts and looks like a golf course professional cut it, and I'm happy.

Then I refill the motor with more beer when I'm done. You know, to keep it in primed...er...prime shape.
haha i was suprised that i saw that they still make new reel mowers, lowes have em
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MiddleMike
Quote:
haha i was suprised that i saw that they still make new reel mowers, lowes have em
That's where I got mine. They're a lot easier to push than the old Prison Mowers from the 1950's. I'd rate it as easy as my old gas mower without question. And my old mower was self propelled yet.

Got it at lowes, heh. Brill, a German company, makes one that I hear is even easier to push (easier? how?) and only needs sharpened ever 7 to 10 years.

Beats using gasoline, the yard doesn't stink of petrol when I'm done mowing, I can wear regular shoes and not have them turn green and gross and can mow any time of the day or night without annoying the neighbors. Best investment I ever made in my lawn, I highly recommend one if you're already using a push gasoline mower and have a regular to small sized yard.
MiddleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
but yes i forgot to mention taking the car to autozone/.orileys/advance/partsamerica/checker/most auto stores for a free scan
Not all of them do this anymore. The last time I tried to get my computer scanned I had to go to 5 different auto parts places before I found one that would do it (for free). Several of them wanted to charge (upwards of $35), and others said "we don't do that anymore because of the hassle". I like the old Honda system thats on my CRX. It just has a LED that blinks and that tells you whats wrong. No need for a fancy reader.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
I like the old Honda system thats on my CRX. It just has a LED that blinks and that tells you whats wrong. No need for a fancy reader.
Nothing beats the system that was on my 1987 Cadillac Deville. Press the right buttons and it could display the codes on the climate control and fuel displays, and it could also display live sensor data...most of the stuff for which I have a $240 cable hooking my laptop to my VW.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
To be honest it is no harder for me to push than the old 80lb + gas mower was. In fact in many ways I go a lot faster with it.

My lawn is kinda big but not overly so. Gets the job done. Plus, again, it's beer powered, and as luck would have it, I'm a home brewer, so it's like free fuel. Win win.
well win win till ya "overflow the tank" then the yard looks like a picaso paitning
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #29
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
As to the scanning, I just ordered a ScanGaugeII. I didn't even know anyplace offered a free scan. Around my area it runs $65. Last scan they told me to get new wires and plugs, some sort of misfire code. Replaced the wires and plugs, reset the computer, and whammo, it came back in about 2 days.

This time I'll track it down myself.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
i service lawnmowers as my job and i have yet to have a fuel (gasoline only) problem, most of the time its grass dirt , etc clogging the intake screen in the gas tank... or their trying to use 3 year old gas that looks like tea...
So... umm... I kinda decided to try running tea-looking gas in my mower. I saw it sitting there in a jug near the mower, and remembered you mentioning it, so I gave it a go as a joke. The mower is old and needs work anyway. What problem results when people use such old gas? Gunking up the carburetor?

It always runs rough, sounding like it would stall maybe every 5 seconds or so, but on this old gas it began belching smoke in those times as well as any time it gets loaded (engage the blades or dump the clutch in 6th gear). Then, while JDA (just driving along) at a steady load (6th gear, no blades disengaged) it stalled. It did restart easily. It was kinda funny.