Gas Prices rising again - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

No, Europe is heavily taxed anyway. In Germany they are taxed by the number of rooms in their houses, including closets, which is why they have large lockers and no closets in their houses. They are taxed by the amount of rain the roof of the house catches (sewer system). Their fuel taxes do help pay for their public transportation though.

Why do the cops drive full size cars? They have a lot of equipment to carry, they sometimes have to carry suspects with no warning on when, and they sometimes have to use their cars as battering rams. Some of them do drive econoboxes though, the ones in my own town drive Impalas, which are large enough to carry their gear and a couple of perps, and still get 25-30MPG. And you don't have to outrun the radio, you just have to beat it over the next hill.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
Supporting Member

yup they use impalas were i am 2 i didnt know they got that good of fe

Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
To answer the original question, the price increase is probably due to a supposed refinery or two that has been taken off-line due to profit mongering - I mean flooding. :P
Ya, not a good time of year for a refiniery to go down.
http://www.ogj.com/display_article/2...ille-refinery/
They will be out of business for a few months, at best.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEK View Post
I'm not into paranoid conspiracy theories........ but they are all in it together. Government and big oil.
lol no ya think? the bush family is in oil big time and all his littl ebuddies have a huge role in the oil companies... just another greedy politician wanting to line his own pockets at the cost of the american people
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
If expensive gas reduces the amount of motoring retards polluting up my neighborhood, I'm all for it.
I'll go for that. There are few idiots out here that have to race from stop sign to stop. sheeeeeesh
Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #16

What about Canada if I convert litres to gallons I'm paying $3.94 a gallon not considering your dollar is worth a little more. If I factor that in we are paying $4.26 US a gallon.
DarkCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #17

If you have to worry about the price of gas for your own personal consumption, you are doing something wrong in life. I'm interested in fuel economy as a technical exercise. If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't have 3 cars.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhj2000 View Post
There are few idiots out here that have to race from stop sign to stop. sheeeeeesh
I was coming in to work just before sunrise yesterday morning at the edge of town, 45MPH limit and I was doing about 40. There was slowing-to-turn-right traffic ahead, so I was in the leftmost of the two lanes. Up behind me rolls another driver, and I don't want to give the wrong impression: He wasn't speeding massively (if at all), he didn't tailgate, he didn't seem overly anxious to get past me, nothing wrong with his style in the least.

When the traffic allowed I moved right. He accelerated smoothly and fairly gently (i.e., "just driving," no road rage) and went on past me...

...as I continued to slow on the coast I'd started before I moved right because A) the speed limit had just dropped to 35, and B) there was a red light not 30 feet ahead of us!

I used to lean on the go pedal pretty good once upon a time, but I don't think I've ever actively accelerated when there was a red light just a few car lengths ahead.

Of course I'm sure my (new) driving style doesn't make sense to him, either.

Rick
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
If you have to worry about the price of gas for your own personal consumption, you are doing something wrong in life. I'm interested in fuel economy as a technical exercise. If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't have 3 cars.
I'm not entirely sure that I agree with that statement. For instance: I commute ~35 miles (one way) to work, my wife commutes 10-15 miles in the opposite direction. Due to schedule differences, we cannot carpool.

Yes, I drive a Jeep Cherokee. I know that it's not the best for FE. However, it *is* big enough to carry tools/ladders/equipment when needed, something a Geo cannot handle. (Renting a truck is virtually impossible around here if you're under 25) My wife drives a Blazer...doesn't get the best FE, but she's over EPA ratings at least....most importantly, she's safe.

Both my wife and myself are just out of college. It's been roughly 1 year now, so our students loans are coming due. We continue to drive these vehicles because they are cost-effective.....no car payments, and minimal maintenance (plus cheap insurance).

I guess the point here is that I'm concerned about fuel prices. I'm driving for FE mainly as a challenge to myself, as I know there's not too much I can cost-effectively do to these vehicles. However, I don't feel that there's anything wrong with my life choices....all told, I think we're doing OK, without going extremely far into debt.

Sorry, a little pissed from watching fuel prices jump $.30 today (and still climbing)
*steps down from soapbox*
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
I'm glad to hear you have enough $ to not be troubled by it. Don't presume that everyone else does because you do, it is not so.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote