Gas prices up - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

looking on gaspricewatch.com I see that there is still gas for $3.39 in Manassas (price updated 15 hours ago). I was planning on driving down to visit my folks today. I may top off the Buick's tank if I find a station that cheap along the way. I can't top off the truck because I added a bottle of BG 44K to the fuel on Thursday. I need to run that tank as low as I comfortably can to get the most out of the 44K. I don't want to top off and dillute it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #22
Registered Member

Those high price due to hurricanes are temporary, and by 1-2 weeks it will go back to normal. So if a person conssume a reasonable amout of gallon per week, he should be fine if his tank is full (10+ gallons, depend on the car...). So those temporary high should affect that much people when its not on a long period.

The fact is that raffineries are built in the hurricanes territory, so we have do deal with it, oil is getting thougher to get and each and every day, we have about 84 million barrels less.

Drilling in the Artic wont be much easy and less expansive... unless Alaska, but what is alaska, 2-3 years...

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

At least there's no tropical storms in Alaska.

You might be snowed out for a while, but once the snow melts there shouldn't be much damage.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
When something is in short supply, prices go up. There is no such thing as "price gauging". If you don't like the price, you're welcome to not buy it. 20% of the refinaries in the US are shutdown for this storm. Don't be surprised to see $6 and $7 per gallon in the next few days as oil drops below $100 per barrel. This too shall pass. The oil bubble has burst and with the world in recession it will continue to collapse. This hurricane is just a blip.
I think that there is such a thing as price gouging. When a station is selling gas they already have on hand for $4.50-$5.00 a gallon that they have paid $3.50 a gallon for. Yes, it will cost more for them to replace the gas, but that is when the price increase should come to the consumer and not before. Just a few weeks ago when the storm was threatening LA our gas went up about $.10-$.15 overnight and the storm didn't effect anything I am aware of but offshore drilling.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
I think that there is such a thing as price gouging. When a station is selling gas they already have on hand for $4.50-$5.00 a gallon that they have paid $3.50 a gallon for. Yes, it will cost more for them to replace the gas, but that is when the price increase should come to the consumer and not before. Just a few weeks ago when the storm was threatening LA our gas went up about $.10-$.15 overnight and the storm didn't effect anything I am aware of but offshore drilling.
All gasoline and diesel pricing is based on speculation. Additionally, it's a fluid in a tank: you can't sell the $3.00 a gallon fuel before the $4 a gallon fuel. Pricing based on speculation is what keeps stations relatively competitive with each other in their prices and keeps supply relatively consistent all over.

Similar issues in production. That gasoline was made with petroleum that had a varing cost.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
All gasoline and diesel pricing is based on speculation. Additionally, it's a fluid in a tank: you can't sell the $3.00 a gallon fuel before the $4 a gallon fuel. Pricing based on speculation is what keeps stations relatively competitive with each other in their prices and keeps supply relatively consistent all over.

Similar issues in production. That gasoline was made with petroleum that had a varing cost.
Yesterday when I filled my tank at the station I normally use, in spite of everyone else's prices being in the $4.10-$4.20 and gallon range they were selling out what they had left in their tanks at the previous price. I wasn't able to get regular at the advertised price of $3.659 because they were already sold out, but I got premium at 3.879. This was Texaco and not some off brand discount gas. This is why I usually buy my gas there, because they don't increase their pump prices until they have the tanks refilled.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
At least there's no tropical storms in Alaska.

You might be snowed out for a while, but once the snow melts there shouldn't be much damage.
Alaska is short therm, but the oil in the artic is in deep sea (the real deal, the real billion barils deal), up there, condition are extreme, sometimes.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Are you sure the limit isn't the station limit, and not your card limit? I've had pumps click off @ $50, reinsert my card, and pump another $20.

-Jay
you could be correct. however, the last time i used a card twice in a day to buy gas, the cc company called me to inquire about possible theft.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
I think that there is such a thing as price gouging.
absolutely there is! i gas station just outside of the orlando int'l airport was charging in excess of a dollar over avg area pricing.

the question is, what or how much is illegal? people, mostly tourists, ARE continuing to pay it.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #30
Site Team / Moderator

There's one spot in my hometown that gas is ~50 cents more than anywhere else. Its right off of I-95. As soon as you get off the highway all you see are 4 fuel stations witin 100 yards of the highway, and then trees & nothing else. If you actually drove 1/2 mile down the road gas is much cheaper. Locals don't buy gas there. Those stations survive on traffic coming off of the highway.

-Jay