Gas Prices Up again - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #71
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
boomers

What makes me the most angry about the people in Washington, D.C. is that they are just sitting on their high payed butts. The baby boomers are going to cause a great problem. Who is going to pay for their healthcare? With the age of these people growing more and more, how can the next generation cope with their increasing demands? The people in Washington, D.C. haven't came up with anything, so who do they expect to solve the problem of money?

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #72
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
The politicians in

The politicians in Washington D.C. spent the social security money in the 1980s on bailing out the savings and loans industry, on bogus defense initiatives, and on all sorts of assorted corporate welfare to auto and oil companies.

In my opinion, if they can't come up with the cash to put it back into the social security lockbox, they and the industries that those politicians gave our hard earned tax dollars to should have all of their assets liquidated to pay as much of it back as possible.

But that probably won't ever happen.

The power elite swindles us, as they always do. Social Security could have worked, but those in charge refused to let it work, as they could simply line the pockets of themselves and their campaign financers with it instead, fearing no reprecussions... Big government just doesn't work.

Same with these high gas prices. They're not likely to do anything meaningful about peak oil. They're making too much money off of rising oil prices and the associated economic growth resulting from profligate oil consumption and so are their campaign financers. When the general public gets shafted with the possibly serious consequences, the power elite will continue to live lives of luxury in their sealed bunkers and gated communities.

Welcome to the Fortress World. The future, today. Where even America can become like Somalia, where Americans just might immigrate to Mexico to live a more fulfilling life, where you too can be drafted to fight the oil wars of the neocons, where you will be taxed to death to bail out the politicians that spent the baby boomer's social security money and drove up the national debt! Where the environment becomes a shell of its former self rendered mostly incapable of growing crops without expensive chemical and/or structural considerations, where the wilderness of Thoreau's time no longer exists, and where global warming causes natural disasters that makes Katrina look like a fire hose. Where the dollar is worthless, and gold is curtailed and strictly controlled by the government, where the Bill of Rights is entirely gutted(and not simply mostly gutted), and your private property can be taken on a whim for the sake of maximizing corporate profits. Where oil is over $200/barrel, and no gas is to be found in stations anywhere, cameras are everywhere and up your ***, and a database from Uncle Scam keeps tabs on everyone, only to sell off the information it gathers to its corporate benefactors.

Sound like science fiction? Provided this site is still up by then, return to this very post around 2015-2020. Lets see how much(or how little) of the above comes to pass. I hope none of it, but we're in the beginning stages of most of it already.

$2.79 here in St. Louis. Some of the cheapest gas in the nation, next to Idaho and Montana and similar areas, of course. And to think, we haven't seen **** yet.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #73
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
social security

With the boomers retiring, there is no way we can earn back that debt. If privitization of social security happens however, many people are going spend that money rather than save it for retirement. so either way, Americans will find a way to screw up. I don't see things getting much better.

I am ready for $5 per gallon. (I'll be riding my bike a little more)
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #74
Registered Member

Gas went up $.02 today

Gas went up $.02 today making it 2.979 average around pittsburgh.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #75
Registered Member

gas went up again. I took

gas went up again. I took Jangeo's advice and fueled up, gas went up 4 cents over night at the gas station I get my gas from.

I paid $3.059, this is getting rediculous. i gope this tank last me for another month otherwise i'm going to start biking.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #76
Driving on E

Re: gas went up again. I took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
gas went up again. I took Jangeo's advice and fueled up, gas went up 4 cents over night at the gas station I get my gas from.

I paid $3.059, this is getting rediculous. i gope this tank last me for another month otherwise i'm going to start biking.
I hate to be a party pooper, but gas is still in the $2.40 range where I live :P

Everyone move to Utah!
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

I hate to be a party pooper, but gas is still in the $2.40 range where I live :P

Everyone move to Utah!
that's nice and everything but how come my overall mpg is going down when my fillups have higher mpg??
I got 29.2mpg, me=slow bug

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #78
Driving on E

Quote:
that's nice and everything but how come my overall mpg is going down when my fillups have higher mpg??
I got 29.2mpg, me=slow bug
so is your mpg going down or up? And what does this have to do with the price of gas in Utah?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #79

Does anyone know where I can

Does anyone know where I can find the % of the cost of fuel per gallon that goes to taxes? I've heard that all states are 40-60%! That's nuts! The oil companies are only getting a profit of about 9%...it's the government that's raping us!

But I truly think that we're still lucky...we're not near the gas prices in some European countries - about $6.50/gallon in the Netherlands. It's only $0.78/gallon in Kuwait!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #80
FE nut

I heard last night on the

I heard last night on the evening news that gas is $.50/gallon in Iran.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote