Old 05-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #131
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Ok. I'll tone it down. Maybe

Ok. I'll tone it down.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #132
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
well

I do agree with you that there are people out there who's job is to try and eek every last dollar out of oil that is possible. That should stop, it is only going to hurt the economy in the long run. People like that sway the public opinion very easily. As a result, there are just too many SUV's on the road right now. People need to switch over to small vehicles.

The longer we wait to switch to alternatives, the harder the transistion will be to the "new" technologies. I have a feeling it will be very harsh when the day comes...(with China and India, the demand is only growing higher)

Why have americans always had cheap fuel prices compared to other countries, anybody have the stats on that?

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #133
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:You Americans complain

Quote:
95metro
You Americans complain too much
It's just that the increase is not just the gas prices - every food item has gone up in price a couple of times in the last year - juice from 2.49 to 2.99 a half gallon - $1.00 a gallon more! Ice cream increase then downsized 25% then price increased again - making it up three times. Plus electric price is also up 25% and heating oil for homes.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #134
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
mule

Glad you guys pointed out the mule - I couldn't make it out in the Icon photo.

Yeah time to gas up again the light came on at 422 miles - a bit higher than the usual 375-380 miles. Why is it that the tank always gets empty when the price just went up - should have got gas a few days ago and saved a buck. Had to pickup a couple of boat friends tonight in the rain and fog and mist with a bunch of luggage so it killed my record MPG for this tank. Still pretty much a substantial increase from the last tankfull. If only the cost per mile would be going down.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #135
Registered Member

And you can thank people

And you can thank people like Anita Mangels for your current situation. Otherwise, you might be driving an EV right now. Many here would be driving EVs and so would millions of Americans, enough so to have offset the oil crisis and staved off peak oil for years. But big oil, big auto, and big government just wouldn't have it, too much money to be made.

$3/gallon is only the start. I'm willing to bet it will be $5 within two years, and that's a rather optimistic estimate!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #136
Registered Member

who is Anita Mangels?

who is Anita Mangels?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #137
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Re: Down to 1.065...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Down to 1.065...

per Liter! That's 4.031 per gallon. You Americans complain too much :tongue:
Ordinarily I would agree with that, especially seeing how many gas-guzzling geniuses there are speeding around. But...

Considering that we're at less than a buck difference, <strong>and</strong> our taxes cover $Billions in subsidies and special dispensations to Pig oil, <strong>and</strong> we pay $Billions (not to mention the lives of our sons and daughters) to guard and fight for the infracture of that single self-profiteering industry, <strong>as well as</strong> many $Billions of intangible other costs: I really don't think we're getting much of a bargain.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #138
Registered Member

never mind, I read

never mind, I read toecutters response a couple posts back. I hope she drowns somewhere in an oil refinery.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #139
Registered Member

lol Someone edited me.

lol

Someone edited me.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #140
Registered Member

Re: Down to 1.065...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
Ordinarily I would agree with that, especially seeing how many gas-guzzling geniuses there are speeding around. But...

Considering that we're at less than a buck difference, <strong>and</strong> our taxes cover $Billions in subsidies and special dispensations to Pig oil, <strong>and</strong> we pay $Billions (not to mention the lives of our sons and daughters) to guard and fight for the infracture of that single self-profiteering industry, <strong>as well as</strong> many $Billions of intangible other costs: I really don't think we're getting much of a bargain.
Actually, you're absolutely right. Unlike many (but not all) Canadians I don't have the typical anti-American attitude that seems so prevalent here. Yes, you definitely pay for your oil through a variety of other means. The US population simply dwarfs Canada's so the level of supply and demand is much greater.

And due to the slightly devalued Canadian dollar, inflation, and a variety of other reasons, Canadians actually earn slightly higher wages than the average American making most of the pricing even out at the end of things.

Oh, and gas was advertised at 1.045/L today.