gas saving with hand controls. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #11

Re: gas saving with hand controls.

Wow! Good to hear you're still with us. Consolidate your trips to get/keep the engine warm & avoid mileage-killing short drives. Best speeds are the lowest you can keep the torque converter locked - usually high 30s to low 40s. Coast as much as possible, in neutral if you can do so safely. Most people are still on the gas half a block from stop signs. I'm coasting 3-4 blocks to the same stop sign.

Most important, keep your speeds down. Cruising at 70-80 mph is 30 mpg or less. Cruising at 60 mph is 40 mpg or better.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
1. If your 99 civic has a TCM (a computer that controls the shift solenoids and torque converter lockup), I think you could work out a way to manually override it (with buttons on the steering wheel) so that you could force it to upshift at low rpms and immediately lock up the torque converter. You couldn't get rid of the added drag of the transmission's ATF pump, but you should get closer to to efficiency of a manual transmission in city driving.
I came across this about a month ago.
http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/...nverter_Lockup
Aside from actually getting to the wires, it's a simple mod.

Not mentioned on that page, but in the discussion, is that with the TC locked up there might not be enough fluid following to the cooler. A way to monitor the transmission temps would be prudent. The scangauge should be able to do so.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
Registered Member

^^^ Thanks for that link. I put in 8 gallons today fearing gas prices would go up over the weekend. With a mix of atlanta city driving and hwy driving at around 70mph I was able to get 32mpg! Not bad but I know it can do better. I have been looking around at a scangauge/ultra gauge I just can bring myself to spend the money, What kinda results are you guys getting with them?
silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post

Not mentioned on that page, but in the discussion, is that with the TC locked up there might not be enough fluid following to the cooler. A way to monitor the transmission temps would be prudent. The scangauge should be able to do so.
IMHO, cooling shouldn't be an issue since most of the heat in an auto trans is created by a slipping torque converter. Locking up the converter should eliminate this heat source. But yes- I agree that monitoring fluid temps would be the safest thing to do.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversol View Post
I have been looking around at a scangauge/ultra gauge I just can bring myself to spend the money, What kinda results are you guys getting with them?
Consider the TurboGauge IV too. I recently found out about it.
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=13848

I'm not sure I can quantify exactly how my SGII affected my results. I had my best results ever with it, and I believe I couldn't have done as well without it.

Entry dated 3/20/1999 appears to be where I began using the SG.
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/1399
I apologize for my verbosity back then, I think I'm more concise now.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I can quantify exactly how my SGII affected my results.
It's mostly the instant feedback. Seeing how driving style effects fuel economy in real time has more affect on the driver than seeing the results once a tank.

I didn't have the SGII in the Prius, but the built fuel economy gauges helped me.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

The instantaneous feed back helps alot. You don't have to wait until a fill up to see the results of a mod or technique. All cars should have a basic, easy to read, display.

Since I've used the SGII from the get go with the HHR, it's hard to quantify how much it is responsible for. Consider that driving behavior can have an impact of 30% or even more, though. These gauges make the driver more aware of their behavior.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I've found the current trip average to be more useful than instantaneous. Instantaneous really can't tell you how well something is working, it's too depend on too many transient variables.

Even current trip average isn't good enough to declare something a success or failure, it's just good enough to give some encouragement to continue trying something for a few tanks.