Gas tanks and hot parking lots. spark plugs - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Gas tanks and hot parking lots. spark plugs

I remember my neighbor built a kit car hotrod and filled it up at the gas station, he drove it one block to the hybred seed outlet and parked it on a hot parking lot. Within miniutes it was overflowing out the filler tube. My question is this. How much gas do I lose when the tank gains heat and starts to expand the gas? If the gas expands the vapor is forced out a vent somewhere isn't it? Just wondering, I see second shifters coming into work and its 90+ out there. Parking on all that heat, what percent of loss is there? To me a one percent loss is bad. I have to park outside at my home (the women in the household took over the garage privilage). I park my car gas tank away from the sun and in the grass. Am i being foolish?

Sparkplugs?
I get 36 mpg per tankfull with my 1995 neon 5speed manual. I pulled the plugs, I had 36000 on them and who knows what was on them before. They had the correct color and little wear, but the white insulaters were a deep orange one quarter inch up from the metal. Like they got too hot or were really old. Hey what the heck I will try the Bosch Platinum+2 sparkplugs. Two electrolds and PLATINUM!!!! Any feedback on these plugs? They say better performance.
Shuttletruck

shuttletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Production cars usually have the expansion room to deal with any temperature conditions they might encounter...... unless you attempt to foil them, by for instance filling up on a steep angle and burping the tank continually until you get as much fuel as you can in there. Just fill to first click and you should be fine.

Chryslers very rarely seem to like Bosch plugs or ignition parts. I think this is because the coil is relatively high output from the factory so the higher resistance and shorter gap just causes more flashover failures further back rather than making the ignition more efficient or the spark duration longer. Plugs reported to work well on Chryslers are stock Champion double copper, or if you want fancy, NGK V power.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, Sounds good. Thankyou. I had to try them. Someone needs to test them. My acceleration seems smoother. But that may be the regular plugs needed changing. Or its wishfull thinking. Will check mpg over next few months and report back. Ya know? I tried different plugs (Bosch included, regular type) in my toyota truck for 18 years and I didn't see any difference in performance, except to pay more for them.
Shuttletruck
shuttletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Bosch plugs

The newer Bosch plugs might be fine but the center electrode falling out of the earlier Bosch platinum plugs sort of turned me against them. It happened to two relatives of mine. I had to help get the cars running both times. These are the only plugs that actually lead to failure to run in a car I was associated with for many many years.

To be fair I once had a brand new correct heat range AC plug burn up which lead to pre-ignition. Nothing is generally perfect but Bosch made a large batch of plugs that did not work worth a darn.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
The newer Bosch plugs might be fine but the center electrode falling out of the earlier Bosch platinum plugs sort of turned me against them. It happened to two relatives of mine. I had to help get the cars running both times. These are the only plugs that actually lead to failure to run in a car I was associated with for many many years.

To be fair I once had a brand new correct heat range AC plug burn up which lead to pre-ignition. Nothing is generally perfect but Bosch made a large batch of plugs that did not work worth a darn.
I need to check the Buick then, the last time I changed the plugs in that car was about 8 years and 40,000 miles. I think it has Bosch Platinum in it. I used to buy those plugs all the time, but now I'm not so sure I've replaced them with AC Platinums.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If it does exceed the expansion room, it will be absorbed by the evaporative fuel emissions control system -- mainly the charcoal canister. It will later be fed into the engine from there.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
If it does exceed the expansion room, it will be absorbed by the evaporative fuel emissions control system -- mainly the charcoal canister. It will later be fed into the engine from there.
ayup thats why stock cars have them, now hot rods most people dont bother cuz it looks tacky and when u have a 350 carbed v8 i dont think u care

aviod the bosh plugs, just get stock replacements, the engine was designed to use them. ya the plugs can be a tad orange, no biggie as long as it isnt like flaking /crumbiling/falling apart lol.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member

Sounds to me like your hot rodder defeated a few safety systems because he thought they were robbing his power. Modern fuel systems are completely sealed other than the gas cap in and the injectors out. If you managed to get pressurized liquid in the EVAP I'm not sure what it would do but it wouldn't be good. The whole point of the EVAP system is to minimize vapor loss, not for your benefit though it does help a bit with mileage, but to minimize HC emissions. Regulators hate HC emissions with a passion so you can expect your losses for a properly functioning EVAP system to be negligible even when it is hot.

If you're going to experiment at least do it with stuff that is reported to work and is cheap enough so that you won't care if it doesn't. Try V-Power plugs drilled with the jet hole.

I also avoid all Bosch spark plugs. I've heard too many reports of bad running and my Chrysler turbo ate Bosch platinum for lunch. Maybe I got one of those bad ones. I've had mixed luck with Bosch mag wires. When they work, they work well. When they don't, its customer of the month at the warranty counter. I'd take mag wires from another manufacturer if they were easy to get.

severach is offline   Reply With Quote