gas wasting myths on the radio - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

gas wasting myths on the radio

So I was listening to the morning show for a lansing radio station this morning. They were discussing myths about wasting gas, they said that driving with your windows down will not negatively effect your FE . They also said running your AC will not lower FE . Does this sound right? They were agreeably right about idling actually wasting more fuel than shutting down and restarting. I didn't hear the rest of the myths they brought up. I e-mailed the dj to check out our great site. I could see trade-offs about when it is better to use windows over ac or vice versa? I think Peakster did a test with windows down didn't he?

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

They probably got their information from here.

Quote:
Windows, air conditioning - who cares?

There's the old saw that leaving your windows rolled down creates an aerodynamic drag on your car, cutting down on fuel efficiency. And there's the notion that the fastest way to drain your gas tank is by running your air conditioning.

Don't believe either one.

In two separate studies conducted in 2005, the automotive Web site Edmunds.com and Consumer Reports compared the fuel economy of both a sedan and an SUV at highway speeds with and without air conditioning and how open windows affected gas usage.

What they found was no significant difference in fuel economy in either sedan or SUV under either condition.
I know they're wrong about the window thing. I saw a 1.8% FE decrease with my windows open at 50mph (which really isn't that fast in the 'real' world). However to most people, 1.8% is nothing. 1.8% would also be hard to quantify in an SUV that has a Cd of 0.44 and gets 15 mpg to begin with .

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Usually it is better to use AC than windows on the highway I thought.

It can also depend on how far down the windows are. My dashboard FE gauge never registers a difference unless the window is all the way down.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

It probably depends on the vehicle too. A big engined non aerodynamic vehicle (SUV) may not show a difference because they are already so inefficient.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, you're right peakster here is the souce. http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/09/pf/g...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I guess significant difference can mean different things to different people.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
I know they're wrong about the window thing. I saw a 1.8% FE decrease with my windows open at 50mph (which really isn't that fast in the 'real' world). However to most people, 1.8% is nothing. 1.8% would also be hard to quantify in an SUV that has a Cd of 0.44 and gets 15 mpg to begin with .
But if it was 1.8% at 50, than at 70, where some people spend a lot of time, then it could be at least 5%? Maybe? And maybe that is enough to make it worth it?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Large veh. have more torque and can handle the load of A/C better. They are also designed with A/C in mind. (Try and find a car that doesn't have A/C)
Problem with my Metro or any low displacement motor was that when you turned on the A/C the car actually slowed down, climbing even small hills took much more gas pedal input. It showed a 4 mpg loss in my car. So when it broke out it came. I liked the post with the hatch propped open. Reminded me that my car has crack open side windows. It has cut down on the buffeting in the car sooo maybe it helps?
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Supporting Member

i hate when that happens
Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
Large veh. have more torque and can handle the load of A/C better. They are also designed with A/C in mind. (Try and find a car that doesn't have A/C)
Problem with my Metro or any low displacement motor was that when you turned on the A/C the car actually slowed down, climbing even small hills took much more gas pedal input. It showed a 4 mpg loss in my car. So when it broke out it came. I liked the post with the hatch propped open. Reminded me that my car has crack open side windows. It has cut down on the buffeting in the car sooo maybe it helps?
When I bought my metro the ac came out right away. It was missing parts anyway. BTW, nice to see a fellow michigan metro on here .

Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

small improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
Yeah, you're right peakster here is the souce. http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/09/pf/g...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I guess significant difference can mean different things to different people.
What they don't realize is that a series of "insignificant" differences can add up to something substantial.