Geo Metro 4X4? (added bigger wheels, now want fix ride height) - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #21
Registered Member

Geo Metro 4x4 Lowered ?

Ok need help lowered the front springs 6.75" top and 6.75" bottom of the coils. This matched the 13.5" taken off rears. See pics. Did not get the same results as the rears. Did not lower it much at all. Those of you who have done this check out the pics. of the springs. Did you cut off more than that. Afraid to go further without some miles. How do you like the Moonies? good for 10% LOL also there it is now a Swift spoiler on the back. Help PLEASE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	485  
Attached Images

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
Registered Member

Following this thread with interest...

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
Registered Member

Thanks went for a ride tonight and it did settle a bit, still not enough. Never bottomed out so there is room for more cutting. Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm. Getting good at removing it and cutting with the new spring comp. tools 1 1/2 hrs this time. Running the newer Geo struts so the brake line brackets match up and my old springs.

"Spaz" is that the car or the driver?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM   #24
Registered Member

Hey MetroMPG could you do me a favor and take a measurment? If you have a flat place to measure, open the hood and measure from the bottom of the rad. core support to the grnd. Before driving the car it was 28". That was after jumping up and down on the bumper. I'm no light weight, could loss 40lbs. on me not the car lol. Anyway it looked different this morning and it is now at 27"? Wondering what a stock 95 or newer metro is? Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #25
Registered Member

Whoops, I measured the from the wrong spot, but you can still compare:

From the bottom of the rad support cross member to the ground, in the middle = 7.5 inches. IE 7.5 in. ground clearance. Can you use that?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
Registered Member

Yes I can, thanks I'll check in the morning. I put a 4 ft. level on the door ding strip and the car is level on both sides. So I may be done. I hope to go in the afternoon to our local salvage yard for some good fenders to get started building the closer to tire wheel wells. Similar to those on the dream car Precept. I just don't know how close it can be in a full lock turn if you hit a bump will the tire crack the fender? Show cars don't have to always be totaly road worthy like ours do. And I do drive some bumpy rural roads.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #27
Registered Member

Yes thats true. Plus I had a stupid attack!!!!!!!!!!!! Each time you jack up the car you cant the wheels in at the bottom, out at the top. You can jump up and down on the bumper all you want. You need to drive the car to get the preloads correct. I was quite hummbled by the corrections of a suspension guy. LOL Measurments have stayed the same for me. From the base of the core support I have 8.5" so 1" above the stock 13" tire size of a stock 95 or newer Metro. Which is what it should be now that the car has 14" tires. What do you all think?
Got my fenders today for $20 so now for some design work. Thanks to everyone who gave me input, great stuff. Hope this might help someone else.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #28
Registered Member

Glad to hear you got the ride height back to normal.

Question: how's the RIDE? Notice any difference? What was the total amount of spring removed (in # of coils, ie 1/2 etc)

And I'd start a new thread for the aero fenders.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #29
Registered Member

Good advice on the fenders. It will be awhile as there is quite a bit to do. Need to try and hide all that rubber! Coils removed,(see earlier pics) Rear, one whole coil 13.5". Front 6.75" top and 6.75" bottom by doing it that way it seemed to fit like the stock spring in the strut pockets. Ride is firm but acceptable. If you hit uneven pavement such as drain channels like we have in our parking lots, it can be quite a shock. Easy to learn to drive around. Mileage is still a question, but it seems to be good. Love the lower rpm on the highway not so tiring to the ears. Did you find the same on your trans swap? Since you have a spare set, you might want to give it a try? You can reverse eng. if you don't like it. Thanks again