GM Sales of Hybrids Miserable - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
Maybe because some people want to have a reasonable towing capacity? I have a 7x14 tandem wheel box trailer that I haul my PA system and musical equipment around in, I know for damn sure that a crv isn't going to pull it. My Denali is actually a little weak for it and I am looking to get a Diesel Excursion.

Just because you don't understand why someone would need a large vehicle doesn't mean that they don't, in fact, need it.
the thing is most SUV's and pickup's are never used for towing, hauling, going off road, etc. most of the owners drive it to their office job 20 miles away. I can see like in your case, you need the towing capacity, which is different.

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
the thing is most SUV's and pickup's are never used for towing, hauling, going off road, etc. most of the owners drive it to their office job 20 miles away. I can see like in your case, you need the towing capacity, which is different.
Yes there are many wasteful people out there. Your point was that you didn't "get" GM. GM will continue to build them as long as people continue to buy them. And it is no secret that they are more profitable than other cars, so they will continue to market them as needed.

You can put some blame on the auto manufacturers for pushing cars that are not fuel efficient, but I put the majority of the blame on people who buy larger cars than they need. And I am not just talking about SUV's. Most people don't NEED full size sedans, or even mid size sedans. Most people don't NEED cars that seat more than two. Most people don't NEED to drive more than 100mi a day so an electric car would suit their needs.

But they are not going to buy anything less than what they perceive their needs are. I think with a good marketing campaign that the publics perceived needs can be changed, the problem is that EV's and Hybrids are not as profitable as SUV's and Pickup trucks, so which do you think they have marketed (historically)? So that marketing would have to come from someone else........

BTW, why do SUV's get so much flack and pickup trucks are hardly ever mentioned? I see quite a bit more empty full size pickups being used as daily drivers than SUV's.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
now, back to the thread topic... IF hybrid SUVs were more efficient, would there be more sales? its uncertain at the present premium price. maybe if prices come down. i too wish the E car would come back tho!
I think there would be more sales. Fuel economy is what killed 99% of sales. If there was a full size SUV that got 35mpg, they would still be selling well.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote