GM Sales of Hybrids Miserable - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
I wish I could go buy a chrysler or what ever and say it was the best made car but, I feel that day is not here yet or, it has already passed
They used to be very well screwed together, unless you were beta testing something unwittingly... (A604 etc) During the Iaccoca years he'd have them pull a car off the line alongside a toyota, and point out the fit and finish differences until they got it right. Circa '93-'94 was meant to have been the high point.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
Registered Member

Actually, the Big 3 all suck. Ford makes an ok enough hybrid Escape, but the Big 3 don't make a great hybrid car, or good small fuel efficient cars that can beat a Honda or Toyota. They need to refocus their engineering on fuel economy, not 300+ hp cars.

JESSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
And since you can buy an American made Honda or Toyota, there really isn't any reason to buy a "domestic". Both H and T have been opening new plants here in the US recently. Eco friendly. Thanks for the jobs and thanks for not destroying our environment over here.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Now that's just regurgitating what all the tech-crazy auto mags puke out. There's nothing wrong with pushrods, they have a number of real advanatages over OHC, and in fact the pushrod Corvette engine is recognized as one of the finest in the world.
Well then why did a pushrod gm 2.2l only produce 130hp factory while an 1.6l honda could make 160hp and still provide better mileage?
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Well then why did a pushrod gm 2.2l only produce 130hp factory while an 1.6l honda could make 160hp and still provide better mileage?
My G/F 3.8l pushrod motor was getting 26.6 mpg according to her computer, and I was getting 25 on a good tank in my accord, and I said WTF! Mileage and HP depend on many things in addition to the the valve train. Domestic 4 bangers suck, period.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
cuz HP means nothing. it gets better mileage cuz its got a smaller bore, less fuel sucked in per stroke. they did that by higher compression.

all about torque and what range its at

that and honda/other asian countries have ALWAYS been making tiny fuel efficent cars ever since they were founded way aback in (i think 1950ish) if youve been making the same general cars (size, weight, engine sizes, etc) for the last 60 years you damn well better be good at it.

the big 3 started off on 4 bangers, then moved to HP/torque/size to impreove sales, which they did! look at the land barges that they were pumping out in the 50's -70's (hell wasnt there like a 5.7 L cadilac 400 cuin motor) once the fuel crisis of the mid-late 70's hit the imports were already gettin the hang of things FE wise so people started turnign towards them instead of the monsterous V8's.

big 3 tried to get sales back (all the econoboxes of the 70-80's) and tried to hold em back but once the asian companies noticed we were buyign more and more they made more variety geared towards our likeings.

but yes the big 3 are sometimes dumber than rocks when it comes to certian things. like ford killing off the tarus, chevy killing the s-10, etc
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #17
Registered Member

Well they are still out there shooting themselves in the foot. Ford is getting ready to kill off the Ranger, the most fuel efficient pickup (in its manual trans, 4 cylinder version) currently sold in the US at a time when people are clamoring for FE vehicles.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Registered Member

It made only 111whp. But, I was just saying if I can buy a car that not only would outrun but also out mpg run the car I'm going for the civic.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy v8's my first car was a 67Dodge coronet 500. My other v8 was a ford f-150.

I don't hate the big three it just makes me made that they allowed themselves to fall behind. For the record I do consider myself very patriotic

Yes I can't believe they got ride of the s-10 and Ford following suit in 2010 with the ranger. That brings me to another sad story (2 actually) The electric ranger and the fact that diesel rangers were only sold in Mexico.
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
Registered Member

Considering most of GM's hybrids cars get 25/32 MPG max...

http://www.gm.com/explore/fuel_economy/hybrids.jsp

I think they have alot more research ahead...that kind of highway mileage can be acheive with a good transmission alone.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

Holy crap, I can't believe they've got the cheek to release that Aura and Malibu, that's barely acceptable MPG for a midsize/family .. the Elantra is in the same class and beats them, with a regular motor... and can tow as much as some small SUVs btw.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote