Got 83mpg cruising down the interstate at 60-65mph - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #11

Way to go basjoos! You inspired me to make the switch to my CRX, which I believe I can also get 100 MPG in, with a D15Z1 and a 6-speed. I've got the CRX (currently an automatic with 42 MPG highway my best so far, getting better with the warmer weather), and will be shopping for the parts for the engine & tranny mods. We know that it's possible with off-the-shelf parts to get 100 MPG - you're getting closer to proving it first!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Got my best average mileage so far (83mpg) for the interstate portion (I-26 from Weaverville, NC to Flat Rock, NC) of my commute going home. Roads were dry, temp was 75F with no significant winds, and with a moderate amount of traffic. I was running at the speed limit to 5 over for the most part, with the speed dropping a few mph on the uphills and going 5 to 10 over on the downhills (with a Cd of 0.17, I gain speed quickly on the downhill despite driving a 2100 lbs car). I was helped out on this trip by being followed by a panel truck towing a car that was taking the uphills at a leisurely pace which allowed me to drop my speed a little more on the uphills than I normally can given the traffic conditions. I normally get 77mpg on this stretch of highway. Who says you need a hybrid or diesel to get good mileage.
You'd also see much better numbers with P&G and EOC as you can roll for much longer than the rest of us--at 80mpg your engine efficiency to power probably isn't too good. Let's say on the highway at 60-65mph you can probably pulse from 55mph-65mph at 30mpg in a reasonably short amount of time--your glide from 65-55mph should be at least 3x the distance what your pulse would be. Are you doing any form of P&G? Because at .17 Cd you are the best suited for major savings. Have you played much with P&G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
Way to go basjoos! You inspired me to make the switch to my CRX, which I believe I can also get 100 MPG in, with a D15Z1 and a 6-speed. I've got the CRX (currently an automatic with 42 MPG highway my best so far, getting better with the warmer weather), and will be shopping for the parts for the engine & tranny mods. We know that it's possible with off-the-shelf parts to get 100 MPG - you're getting closer to proving it first!
His aeromods are the reason for his high FE. Only with similar aeromods would you be able to achieve 100mpg. You might get into the 60s with the mods you are planning, but not 100! (Unless you do some hardcore P&G with EOC)

If Basjoos is getting those numbers at more or less steady state with no EOC, then it seems to me he could be in the 120mpg range if he employed P&G/EOC to the max.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Your car remains an inspiration to us all (particularly those thinking of aero mods).
yes; it gave me all the excuse I needed to experiment with my Cavalier.It quickly got to the point where there was no use in holding back, after I've heard all the comments from family, friends and fellow posters and getting stared at on the road.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
Registered Member

I plan on installing a d15z1 whenever my current engine wears out.

Drafting isn't worth it with my car, since my Cd is so low that drafting offers only a very minimal improvement in mileage. Also, if there is any sort of downhill, I end up quickly overrunning the vehicle I am drafting and having to hit my brakes a lot, killing any of the slight benefits from drafting. When I drive my car, I am effectively drafting myself, and anybody trying to draft me will get no FE benefit from doing so since I don''t leave a wake behind for anybody to take advantage of.

I'll need to try P&G on a flat road sometime. On the hilly terrain around here I FAS whenever I hit a downhill steep enough to maintain speed on (it doesn't take much of a downhill to maintain speed). Whenever I drive a "normal" car, it feels very draggy, like I am driving down a road covered with a thin layer of mud.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
Registered Member

Fuel Economy Test #4: Driving with Load VS cruise control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYuZQhpuzfI
No truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I was helped out on this trip by being followed by a panel truck towing a car that was taking the uphills at a leasurely pace which allowed me to drop my speed a little more on the uphills than I normally can given the traffic conditions.
And why can't you do this normally?
I do hehehe

But it does depend, apparently a very good CC can almost match 'driving with load'
Which, it takes a lot of concentration and one mistake and it's off...
So, cc.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #16
Registered Member

If you get going too slow on the uphill, you can increase the chances of some inattentive 70+mph driver rear-ending you. I do have an advantage in this regard since my unorthodox rear end tends to catch their attention and knock them out of their driving daze, but there is still an increased safety risk in having too much of a speed differential on the highway.

Don't have CC installed on my car, but do have a hand throttle for driving with load.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Unfortunately my onboard computer doesn't display higher than 99.9 mpg. Sometimes I'm curious what meaningless three (four?) digit number I could boast if I only counted the middle 6 mile long portion of my morning commute.
Sorry, if I'm not impressed by a 38 mile, net down hill, highway only, one way number regardless of how stratospheric it may be.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member

According to Toporoute, that stretch of highway (I-26 from Weaverville to Upward Road near Flat Rock) is 34 miles with a net 0% grade from start to finish. I got 83mpg on that stretch. Once I had dropped to to the base of the mountain into SC and got home, then my trip mileage was at 88mpg, but that included a 1200 foot elevation drop.