Got a 95 VX!!!! Need help / Bunch of questions. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Got a 95 VX!!!! Need help / Bunch of questions.

Ok,,

I have been lurking for a while, and finally decided to park the 06 F150 and get me something that wont kill the wallet... I found a rough 1995 Civic hatchback VX... Well, rough ride, dents, etc....

So here is what I have done,, replaced the shocks and springs,, it was slammed to the ground and busted a kidney every pebble i hit. Rebuild the front end, new core support, new bumper cover, found some 13" vx wheels, put those on,, It had some integra LS wheels,,,,, ... oh and a ton of other stuff to pass inspection....

Ok, so now to my questions..... When I drove it home I averaged about 45mpg.. that is at 60-65mph... highway 305miles.... A/C running

After the repairs, and recent inspection, some 50/50 driving shows about 38mpg... I did get into the throttle at the lights a little bit.. A/C running,, hey its 97-99 degrees here in san antonio!

What mods should I do for max FE.
( it does not have the bottom lip under the bumper cover, so that should probably be one of the mods I need to to. )

Is there any way to test the important sensors? ie... that 5 wire OXygen sensor.

Ok,, is there a cheap and easy way to diagnose a check engine light...

( for the whole 305 mile trip bringing it home, no check engine light. )
( after I fixed it up and started driving it,, this included some lucas in the gas, about 3 ounces of the lucas fuel system treatment, changed the oil to mobile one synthetic, with 20% lucas synthetic oil stablilzer ) My check engine light comes on while driving sometimes,, it will stay on until the ignition is turned off.. When I restart the check engine light is gone, for a while anyway, then comes back on.. never stays, a restart will always clear it. Any ideas on this,, any recommendations for a scanner or some other tool I can read the codes with..

A little history of the car,, well from what I was told,,, the head was super clean, guy says it has just been rebuilt, and it looks like it. Although I think I need to readjust the lifters. it runs great,... If you turn it on, and let it idle, if you listen the exhaust I can hear a miss here and there,, but under throttle its nice and smooth. Distributor has a sticker says reman... or rebuilt.. I should probably check the timing.... oh and it is a po7 head,, ( just incase anyone asked if thath guy put the right head back on. )

Anyway,, any suggestions or help would be fantastic,, I really want to get this thing over 50mpg on a constant basis..

Oh one other question, on the gov. fuel economy website, there is 2 listings for a honda VX 1995,,, one gets 37-45 and one gets like 39-50... What is the difference? and which one do I have?//

OK,,, thanks in advance , and props to a great site!!

John

pinbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
The California vx gets lower mpg.
To read your check engine light you just need a paper clip and your repair manual.
After doing suspension work did you get an alignment done?
I've never had my valve lash be off by much on any of my Honda's, but it is always worth checking, timing is also worth checking, along with your cap and rotor, just get a shop manual and go through their check list of things that need to be checked.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbrew View Post
When I drove it home I averaged about 45mpg.. that is at 60-65mph... highway 305miles.... A/C running
That's a respectable result. If you look at the VXs in the garage here, 45 mpg is roughly the broad average you see, if you try to aggregate all the mileage logs.

But you can do better, especially on the highway. It should certainly be possible to see results over 50, if you make an effort. And it's clear that you're motivated and trying to make an effort.

Obviously you'll do a little better with the AC off. And with the speed 50-60, instead of 65. And when you adopt some new driving techniques, especially pulse and glide.

Quote:
After the repairs, and recent inspection, some 50/50 driving shows about 38mpg... I did get into the throttle at the lights a little bit.. A/C running,, hey its 97-99 degrees here in san antonio!
38 mpg is too low, but it could be your stoplight behavior. I never see results under 40 mpg unless I've decided to cruise at 85 or 90 mph.

Quote:
What mods should I do for max FE. ( it does not have the bottom lip under the bumper cover, so that should probably be one of the mods I need to to. )
That would help a little, especially on the highway, but I think it's more important for you to resolve your CEL (check engine light). And also learn about P&G.

What's your tire pressure?

Quote:
Is there any way to test the important sensors? ie... that 5 wire OXygen sensor.
Yes, there are things you can do with a DMM, but first I recommend you investigate the CEL.

Quote:
is there a cheap and easy way to diagnose a check engine light... any recommendations for a scanner or some other tool I can read the codes with..
You don't need tools to read the CEL code. There's a simple procedure that's described in the service manual and in various places online. Like here:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=978933

Quote:
I think I need to readjust the lifters.
Since it's an overhead-cam engine, there are no lifters. So the proper term is valve clearance. But yes, it's a good idea to adjust it. Honda says it should be done very 15,000 miles. Make sure the engine is cold.

Quote:
if you listen the exhaust I can hear a miss here and there
Have you done the standard tuneup items (as Ryland suggested)? Plugs, cap, rotor? Make sure the right plugs are in there. And check the plug wires.

Quote:
I should probably check the timing
Definitely.

Quote:
I really want to get this thing over 50mpg on a constant basis..
That should be very attainable, provided you adjust your driving habits. And resolve the CEL.

Quote:
on the gov. fuel economy website, there is 2 listings for a honda VX 1995,,, one gets 37-45 and one gets like 39-50... What is the difference? and which one do I have?
That's about CA vs Federal. Does your dash cluster have an SIL (shift indicator light)? That means you're Federal. You can also check the sticker under the hood. You can also count the wires on your O2 sensor. If it's five, rather than four, you're Federal. (I think in '92 they made a CA VX with a 5-wire sensor, but you have a '95.)

There's also a number on your ECU, but that's harder to get at.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Flush out the oil system and don't use any additives in the future.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Flush out the oil system and don't use any additives in the future.
Some information supporting what you said is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Could be the o2 sensor throwing that CEL light on. There are lots of places like Autozone, Napa, and some muffler shops that will check your code for free.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no crap.. I'll get that crap out of there ASAP,, man what a waste of $15...... and I thought I was doing good!!! haha...

john
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok so here we go...

Downloaded the manual.. Jumped the test port and counted the check engine blinks..... ended up having codes, 3, 7, 22, 48.... WOW...

Well I can explain at least 2 of those,,, I forgot that I had the tps and map disconnected one time I tried to start the engine,, that probably also somehow set the 22 code.. ( just a guess )......

Hym,, ok so I clear the codes... and leave work today headed to harbor freight... Driving much easier on the throttle than usual,, everything looking good..

Get to harbor freight and buy 2 shiny new digital meters for a whopping $2.99 each, I was looking for the tiny ones but ended with some red larger ones.. But hey, they fit side by side in the cup holders and you can just look down and glance at the readings!!. ( we will get to why I bought these in a new thread called, hym,,, interpret my O2 readings... )

Well needless to say, on the way home from HF I did throw a code,, 48.... I do believe that is the only valid code I have..

I will check the plugs , wires, dist cap, tire presure this weekend... replace as necessary,, and definatly get that damn lucas out of the oil... and probably not add that other lucas crap to the fuel either...

So far thanks for the tips,,,,, learning a lot in a little time...

john

ps.... check out the " interpret my o2 readings"