Got into a bad discussion about FE - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #31

Give the easy answers to those looking for them. Tell them put in a scangauge, fill up at 5 a.m. when you do fill up, turn off the a/c - basically feed them with all the "But I don't WANT to do THAT!" answers and they will leave you alone.

Rather than TELL them to Google, give them links to a few easy Google searches - and they will do as above. If you give them about a dozen things to do that you know they don't want to do in the first place, they will give up in frustration.

Trust me, it works.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #32
Registered Member

you're singin' to the choir on that one.

we're all goofy.

honestly, on this site, if your car hasn't been laughed at or ridiculed, you haven't done enough to it. the airdam did it for me.

I guess I'd fall in the category you were describing. for different reasons though. I wanted to take that truck to the strip so bad. I found several eighth mile strips around and one qtr mile strip. I even put some toyo proxes s/t tires on the truck. (275mm wide) then my wife got on the whole kick about how I was going to die. my estimated speed on a qtr mile is somewhere around 90 if I am lucky but she would have none of it.

I used to be a dodge guy but the new ones are rough looking. mine was a 2004 dakota (the last year of that body style)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #33
Registered Member

Interesting that the muscle car crowd are down on high mpg cars since many of the aero drag reduction mods that improve mileage also increase a car's high speed performance. My car could just as easily be described as a street legal Bonneville Salt Flats landspeed car as it could be described as a vehicle modified for high FE. The drag reduction aero mods that can increase a vehicle's max speed will increase a vehicle's mileage when it is driven at legal highway speeds.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
Registered Member

Forum Warz! Yeah, not sure what else you expected from the Camaro crowd, although I have heard many an LS1 owner brag about the highway fuel economy of their cars when equipped with a six speed manual, so to say they are completely biased toward horsepower is false, they are just shy about concern for gas consumption sometimes. Having owned a Mustang and a GTO myself, I can relate to the interest for the rear wheel drive V8, they are a blast to drive. The 2004 GTO was the nicest handling/feeling car I've ever had. Even so, miles per gallon was always in the back of my mind with my cars. I even had a 3.8 liter supercharged V6 front wheel drive Grand Prix that was able to run 12.9's @ 108mph at the track and still get 30 mpg on the way home. All that being said, not all 20 somethings with powerful cars are meatheads with mullets.

I did have a mini-mullet in sixth grade for a little while, but then Nirvana and grunge hit and I had a new look for a while. I guess that pretty accurately pegs my age. Now in my early 30's, I am more aware of the need to be more responsable with the world around me, and the need to conserve for the better of humanity. It just takes a little growing up (and a lot of speeding tickets).
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #35
Registered Member

as far as the aero for speed, I agree. but now we have a new breed of power hungry people out there that have the "DYNO QUEENS". these are the cars geared towards maximum hp regardless of actual track performance and in this case, aero doesn't matter.

many of the performance upgrades actually push the torque curve up in the RPM range which actually hurts track performance. there was a guy that had a custom ground camshaft that made unbelieveable torque in the low RPM range but he had to give up hp to get it. he then changed out to ported heads to get pretty much the factory hp back but he kept the low end torque. this is a very abridged version of his truck. he was the first normally aspired hemi (new hemi) to break the 12 sec qtr. nobody believed him because his dyno numbers were so low. his torque was almost flat across the entire RPM range. several other people that were there at the track backed him up and only then did people start to believe him.

for the DYNO QUEENS as I like to call them. actual performance doesn't matter, just the number.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #36
Registered Member

Maybe their top ten would be miles per speeding ticket.

Only thing I ever owned that was close to a Camaro was a 59 Vette with a Z28 engine and tranny. Got 22 MPG in that when they dropped the speed limit to 55 MPH.

308 gear 2100 at 62 MPH about the same as my VX.

regards
gary
Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
Registered Member

Funny you mention the tickets... that's WHY I don't drive my Camaro anymore. I have a year left before my state points drop to normal level, and then another year or TWO before my insurance company removes them (but will probably still be jacking my rate)... although, I just got dropped by this insurance company because they apparently did a background check on me and found my previous traffic offenses and probably shat themselves.

lol No need to go into much detail there... young, fast car, faster women.... you get the point.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #38
Registered Member

Last ticket I got was the week Princess Diana died,

regards
gary
Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #39
Registered Member

There's times that I'd rather get into an unwanted discussion about "Everything that's wrong with America" with a 3rd year political science major at the local Starbucks, than a Fuel Economy discussion with some Domestic Car Enthusiasts.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #40
Registered Member

I'll be point free in June 2011. Live and learn I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Funny you mention the tickets... that's WHY I don't drive my Camaro anymore. I have a year left before my state points drop to normal level, and then another year or TWO before my insurance company removes them (but will probably still be jacking my rate)... although, I just got dropped by this insurance company because they apparently did a background check on me and found my previous traffic offenses and probably shat themselves.

lol No need to go into much detail there... young, fast car, faster women.... you get the point.