Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
There's times that I'd rather get into an unwanted discussion about "Everything that's wrong with America" with a 3rd year political science major at the local Starbucks, than a Fuel Economy discussion with some Domestic Car Enthusiasts.
Funny that you say that. Because, for what they are, domestic cars actually do very well when talking about fuel economy. The Crown Victoria and a few sports cars comes to mind.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

My thoughts exactly. My grandfather's Grand Marquis gets almost 30 MPG highway. Same as a Honda Accord V6, but its faster and bigger, better ride, and more comfortable.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #43
Registered Member

The first year Accord 1977 weighed almost the same as my Civic VX. I rebuilt a totalled one in 1978 and my pop drove it all over the Florida Keys as a voulenteer for the American Cancer Society. They paid him 39 cents a miles and he got 39 MPG.

Drove it 55k miles and traded it in for a Toyots Celica, his total depreciation was $1200.

regards
gary
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #44
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I also had a "half-fro" for a while... wanting to be different I guess.
I had a whole fr0 for a couple years in high school. I was trying to be different and break out of the dweeb label. It worked, I managed to gain a little respect from a few folks and it definitely resulted in many forms of fun (it didn't work for getting laid, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
Rather than TELL them to Google, give them links to a few easy Google searches - and they will do as above.
This is what I do. I craft the perfect Google search and post it, along with one or two particularly relevant result links, and figure that they'll see the terms I used and learn how to search the next time.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #45
Registered Member

Project84, why would you care what others think? It seems you took it hard, and from the comments of strangers! I would be more concerned as to why you took it so hard more then what or how they responded.

I don't think you're a jerk or other, but I do think that you taking it so hard is indicative of something else going on in your life that might be brought out through a little retrospection and introspection ;-)
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #46
Registered Member

Speaking of what others think, I recommend reading the limited autobiographies of physicist Richard P. Feynman, "What do you care what people think: Further adventures of a Curious Character" and it's precursor, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character.

It's some fairly insightful entertaining stuff for the more common of us who wouldn't even begin to understand what his day job was all about. If nothing else, you'll be able to say you learned safecracking and lock picking from one of the guys who developed the nuke!

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #47
Registered Member

I thought I mentioned I've been an active member since 2002 w/ them, used to attend outtings and events religiously and such... I've bought 2 cars through affiliation with them too, both of my '94 Z28's.

They were (... WERE) a great group of people at one time and I nearly considered them family since when I moved to Cleveland for a year, my entire motivation to move back was based on the friendships I had within that group. Sucks they're all a bunch of nancy's now....

Actually, when I moved back, I had started a life of my own, worked 3rd shift, went to college during the day, had zero time for them or anyone, so we all just drifted apart, and I think I should've cut the cord back then (2005).
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #48
Registered Member

The less I care about what other people think of me, when they have no reason to think negatively, the longer I live healthy.

regards
gary
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #49
Registered Member

ulcers suck

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
The less I care about what other people think of me, when they have no reason to think negatively, the longer I live healthy.

regards
gary
Very true, and it seems that the longer I live, the less I care what others think. What I care about now at 48 often meant a heck of a lot more to me at 25-35. At the end of the day you have to live your own life, and if you accept the fact that you'll not be the cat's meow to everybody the sooner you'll feel more at peace with the world.

When I was married the first time while in my 20's, I look back to that era and am very amazed about how much BS I took from the wife, how much I jumped at here command, bent over backwards to have "peace"....yea, a false peace. In my current relationship we will call each other on sheet, and that brings respect, enforces boundries, and it seems we have a lot more fun and true peace.

And like Robin Williams often said "Joke 'em if they can't take a fook". ;-)

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote