Got my Scanguage - whoohoo! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Got my Scanguage - whoohoo!

Right, so it's not really quite that exciting, but I did have to monkey around with it a bit yesterday. I'm liking the extra guage functions on it as much as the economy related stuff.

Anyway, it mounts fairly conveniently in the Mazda5 above the steering column without the use of the sticky tape. The OBD port is located in a pocket just above the hood release which is left of the column. From there the wire simply stuffs easily between the dash and column cowls for no more than 4" of exposed wiring before emerging just right of the scanguage which rests comfortably on top of the column cowl in plain view. I took a couple of fairly high-G corners with it there and it didn't budge, so that's a nice plus.

First impressions are that it's worth the money if for no other reason than to tell us it's time to start the car after sitting in it too long listening to the stereo. It's also obvious after a few quick trips to local stores that it will be difficult to improve mileage around town, save for glides which easily bump economy up from 22-23 to 25-26 mpg. If my wife and I take advantage of this, there is very little reason we could not consistantly hypermile the car when the 30+ mpg on the highway is averaged in - and having the guage right there under our noses will help to drive that home every time we drive.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Driving on E

Congrats!

I loved mine too. The Fit made it difficult to place without the sun glare obscuring it.

Instant feedback really does make a huge difference.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Drat! I've lost the 'hypermiler' tag in my gaslog graphic after adding this last tank. Oh well, we're still exceeding estimates and it should get better.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Supporting Member

I've mounted my SG2 above the steering column. Sun glare not too bad. When I moved, I rented a 17' U-haul truck. It was a 2007 Ford with 6.8L V8. Gas pig! I mounted the SG2 on the dash with sticky tape/velcro. Got 10.3 MPG on the 70-mile haul. EPA rating of 10 MPG according to the uhaul site. The sun heated up the sticky tape so much that the glue melted and shifted the tape attached to the SG2. I've since then replaced that piece of melted tape. SG2 happy where I've got it mounted in my Saturn.
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
If my wife and I take advantage of this, there is very little reason we could not consistantly hypermile the car when the 30+ mpg on the highway is averaged in - and having the guage right there under our noses will help to drive that home every time we drive.

Good luck on that one. LOL Saturday my wife went yard sale-ing and averaged 24mpg for 42 miles.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

My wife commented today that she doesn't like it where it is because it's too obvious when she's not driving economically.

I also pondered the heat and glue issue with the velcro, figuring that slipping around and adhesion might be a problem. Seems they need to engineer a better mounting system for it.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #7

I've seen a SGII bracket that utilizes the rear view mirror post . Locates it right above the mirror , I assume that the cable would run under the trim and down the pillar post . Although I'm not too sure on that . I also think it would catch more heat (probably not a good thing ) . Now if I could remember where I saw it for sale I could help you .iirc MJT Tech on the Toyaota Tundra forums .

I was close MGTMike at TundraSolutions forums here

Better link: MGTMotorsports
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
kps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
I've seen a SGII bracket that utilizes the rear view mirror post.
I had mine just above the rear-view mirror, attached with a 'bracket' consisting of a bent piece of aluminum and a couple of bits of double-sided tape. It was a bit of a nuisance to get it there -- the cable was a foot too short (I used a cheap CAT5 coupler and patch cord to extend it, the mirror being far enough away from everything else that interference didn't seem to be an issue), and it was tricky to thread behind the A-pillar airbag. [I'll edit later to add a picture I think I have.]

I took it down two days later.

There were two problems with the mirror mount:
  • It was practically unreadable in daylight; against the surrounding sky, the display was black on dark gray, even with the backlight.
  • I had originally thought that it would be good to be able to glance at the Scangauge and in the mirror at the same time. Not possible; the mirror is closer to my eyes even than the instrument panel, and the re-focusing required was too much.

Currently I have it on the dash above and to the left of the instrument panel, with a polarizer in front to cut glare.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #9

^that right there is the feedback I needed to prevent me from making my own & then buying the real thing and blowing all my hard earned savings LOL . I came to the same realizations this afternoon during my drive home . It won't work for me either .

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote