GPS Navigator & mpg computer combo? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

GPS Navigator & mpg computer combo?

I plan to get an mpg car computer eventually as well as a GPS navigator and it was annoying me to plan spots for both and how to run the wires. It really seems like the two of them could be integrated quite well. Since most of the driving people do is in on routes they already know it'd give the GPS unit something else to do to justify its existence (realtime traffic avoidance is another of course). The ODBII port could provide power and by having map information a smart unit could keep track of which routes tend to be more efficient when actually driven (and by this particular driver in this vehicle) including effects such as traffic. The extra GSP and map data could also be useful in attempts to estimate the most efficient speed and gives cues to the user. If made open such a general device would give hardware hackers a lot to play with, that's for sure. Maybe just an OBDII input for the iPhone (or smart phone of your choice)? Hmmm...I typed that as a joke but a converter from OBDII to RS232 exists so getting the data into something like that could almost certainly be done. Or even have it use a wireless connection for sending the OBD data. Intriguing.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've found some references to an OBDII to bluetooth adapter. That's all it'd take. Anyhow, this thread's supposed to be about cool things having GPS, map, and OBDII data all in one device could allow. Anybody have any ideas along those lines?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There is an interface and software for running OBDII data into an iPhone. However, I'm not aware of any ability to combine it with GPS data.

mp3car can interface with both OBDII and GPS.
http://www.mp3car.com
I wonder if they've combined them? If not, all the other work is done, and all that's left is creating the synergy.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Presumably the Android platform will have apps to do that as well (if someone hasn't made one already). Even just as a competitor to a ScanGauge II I would find this option appealing with its additional capabilities. I've been holding out for more refined devices running Android. We should see a bunch.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

I've got one! Because of all the hills here I spend a lot of time trying to be optimal about my coasting, but I often seem to wind up with a little too much momentum (unnecessary braking) or too little (very brief acceleration required). This seems like something the addition of GPS could help with, especially if it kept stats on how coasting worked previously on that route. Might be able to do it via GPS alone without the OBDII, I suppose.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you have a GPS with a really good interface, you can definitely do that. I used to try to document passing zones on my commute using my GPS; it was hard adding all the notes I needed. If I had a few hotkeys that could automatically mark waypoints named like "Begin northbound passing zone", that would have been perfect.

I've done almost the exact same data collection as you're talking about, on paper. I printed a grid with rows for location (named by landmark IIRC) and columns for traffic light status when I can first see it, speed at that time, my action (coast, accelerate, maintain speed), and traffic light status as I arrive at the light. I was using it to try to work out the timing of a set of traffic lights. I'll eventually work on that again...
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I've done almost the exact same data collection as you're talking about, on paper.
You're a better man than I.

co de pen den cy