HATS (heat attenuation throttle system) - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: HATS (heat attenuation throttle system)

i run my 100km/h @3080rpm ,80kpa ,20+ afr (somewhat an issue with o2 and heat soak on map sensor) this on a turbo vtec-e.. average 11km/l hehe.

bad driving conditions and the 4wd probably decreases that number. anyway i think what im trying to actually say is that can you try running 80kpa while cruising? because i sure cant do it with my drivetrain and you have the highway for it.

koji_kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #22
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by koji_kabuto View Post
i run my 100km/h @3080rpm ,80kpa ,20+ afr (somewhat an issue with o2 and heat soak on map sensor) this on a turbo vtec-e.. average 11km/l hehe.

bad driving conditions and the 4wd probably decreases that number. anyway i think what im trying to actually say is that can you try running 80kpa while cruising? because i sure cant do it with my drivetrain and you have the highway for it.
I have ran around 80 Kpa at freeway cruising speed. I get around 64mpg (27km/L) at that load. So its a little less fuel mileage then when I'm around 103 Kpa.

Sounds like you have very bad driving conditions? What is your AF ratio at when you are at these conditions?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
Registered Member

hello mr. pgpro thank you for anticipating a problem that has bothered me and solved it! kudos to you.

yes, i live in the philippines, you really have to dodge a lot to get around these roads, do it fast and you can overqualify as a getaway driver...so i can just plainly say fuel goes to momentum. and that 11km/l is without a/c.

converted an ek body to 4wd and gear ratios are short much like crv. sticky 195/55/16 tires.

besides that i think my map sensor is one of the big reason since i can really dial my afr. im not using o2 feedback so everything is map. afr drops dramatically after the engine bay gets hot. i have a new 3 bar map and will mount it inside the cabin. my wideband goes from 10-20afr. ive gone 20++-30 i can only guess since egt raises about 100*c and coolant drops 10*c. will definitely try 103kpa!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
hello mr. pgpro thank you for anticipating a problem that has bothered me and solved it! kudos to you.

yes, i live in the philippines, you really have to dodge a lot to get around these roads, do it fast and you can overqualify as a getaway driver...so i can just plainly say fuel goes to momentum. and that 11km/l is without a/c.

converted an ek body to 4wd and gear ratios are short much like crv. sticky 195/55/16 tires.

besides that i think my map sensor is one of the big reason since i can really dial my afr. im not using o2 feedback so everything is map. afr drops dramatically after the engine bay gets hot. i have a new 3 bar map and will mount it inside the cabin. my wideband goes from 10-20afr. ive gone 20++-30 i can only guess since egt raises about 100*c and coolant drops 10*c. will definitely try 103kpa!
Keep in mind that I'm running a heat exchanger that increases IAT to 148c

I to am struggling with my other car, the Talon AWD when driven in town at lower speeds. The fuel mileage drops drastically in the city. Its just takes a lot of extra fuel to over come the AWD.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
Registered Member

i guess 148c must be really beneficial. i have front mount intercooler so im out of luck again. well since you can lean your afr all the way, does hot air really help that much? i mean the point of hot intake air is to reduce the engine power so increasing load will result in reduced pumping loss, youve already eliminated pumping loss with your 103kpa. other than atomization i cant just imagine it. im sure youve log gas mileage without the scorching intake temp... so whats the answer?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
i guess 148c must be really beneficial. i have front mount intercooler so im out of luck again. well since you can lean your afr all the way, does hot air really help that much? i mean the point of hot intake air is to reduce the engine power so increasing load will result in reduced pumping loss, youve already eliminated pumping loss with your 103kpa. other than atomization i cant just imagine it. im sure youve log gas mileage without the scorching intake temp... so whats the answer?
The normal intake temperature compared to the hot intake temperature difference is around 1.00 lb/min. So there is a better throttle angle to promote less pumping loss. But there is very little improvement as you stated.

So the main reason I run these high IAT's is for fuel atomization.

On the average Light Fractions of fuel will vaporized around 85*F to 130*F.

Medium Fractions around 130*F to 250*F

Heavy Fractions around 250*F to 400*F

Running around 300*F IAT temps. will help vaporize this Medium and Heavy Fractions.

Some of the issues I need to address is the IAT sensor does not work well under these conditions, in both longevity and accuracy.

So to answer your question its more about atomization then a better throttle angle. The atomization improves BSFC.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #27
Registered Member

wait isntead of atomized fuel, and since you have prechamber. wouldnt it be beneficial to have fuel like puddle sitting around the chamber? i cant picture how the prechamber work at its best with the homogenous charge ...stratified charge as i understand concentrates the fire around the spark plug or your chamber. thats less hp, fire is confined within the chamber so its not in contact w cyl walls.

man im wondering about your prechamber... its got to be mesh or perforated something!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
wait isntead of atomized fuel, and since you have prechamber. wouldnt it be beneficial to have fuel like puddle sitting around the chamber? i cant picture how the prechamber work at its best with the homogenous charge ...stratified charge as i understand concentrates the fire around the spark plug or your chamber. thats less hp, fire is confined within the chamber so its not in contact w cyl walls.

man im wondering about your prechamber... its got to be mesh or perforated something!!!
Kinda