have you guys felt this way? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Registered Member

A presumably single person on a "gas saving" site advocates driving around in a 13 mpg Durango?

Another wants a V8 hog to "stomp on it"?

Me thinks these comments wouldn't be here if gas was $4...

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

My 98 SLK 230 roadster was $6800 with 89 k miles. Averges about 27 MPG. I have owned close to 200 cars over the last 43 years, and that Benz is about as nice as anything I have ever owned. Retractable hardtop, but not much for luggage space, unless you keep the top up.

I would consider two major points (if I read your post correctly). You have a good mechanical ability. You don't like the idea of debt and buying depreciation.

I would focus on 8 to 10 year old cars that have suffered the worst in depreciation. My SLk was 42 grand new. I have spent practically nothing on it to get it in shape, just a few hundred dollars, with most of it being $300 to my friend for some cosmetic body work.

A Honda Accord is not a bad choice, but I can't see a 240 HP V6 that gets worse mileage than my 96 Supercharged Riviera's 28 highway. I averaged 23 in town. Fantastic car, but it just put me to sleep driving it, ride and handling were just too soft for me.

Another important point to consider is there will be some dramatically different cars coming out in the next two years. It might be good to keep the old one running for that time and save the cash.

When I was 23 I bought a 1959 Corvette with a 71 Z28 engine and transmission for $2000. It got 22 MPG if driven conservatively.

The mileage you are getting is not that great. i would think it could be much better, so that may be the way you drive.

I did own a 383 Formula S 1967 Barracuda that got 10 MPG no matter how you drove it.

If I was you I would definitely look at a late nineties to early 2000s Civic HX with a Manual transmission. The fuel you would save would probably pay for the difference in price fairly quickly.

regards
gary

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

lol i can save the planet on weekdays, weekends welllll :P

i dont mind new high powered cars but whats the point if u cant hear the roar of the engine or the smell of exhaust seeping in from who knows where. or just knowing the car has enough torque at the drop of a foot to twist the frame enough to crack the windshield and do i dare say it *GASP* a bench seat in a car!!!!!

haha a funny picture of a mercedes towing a boat popped into my head
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Registered Member

thanks guys, I think i'm going to either get a 03+ accord or 02+ camry with power windows, when it gets UNDER 4,000 bucks, 4,500 is the max. its kinda of close to that right now.

I will probably get liability on it (as i always do) and No Payments at all.

most of your stories seem pretty good for me to understand,the only people who can teach me life expeeriences is the people who are older and been thru it, so thanks Gassavers!

anyways my gf's car was bought for 26k new, can be sold now for 7k after bargining. she just finished her 7 year payment (since its 03, its 09 now) she was paying 300 a month with insurance of 200 a month, so 500 a month total.

i'll much rather pay off a car and enjoy 50 bucks insurance and no payments 10% seems better
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Registered Member

I like speed too. I figure, why drag 3,000 extra pounds of crap along for the ride? VMax: faster than you should ever go outside of a racetrack, and 35 mpg to boot.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Everyone is different when it comes to cars though...some like the flash and the attention they get in their SUV, meh, I say to them. Some people are shallow and are incapable of thinking outside their own box.
At least their boxes are getting bigger... look at the Hummers and Escalades!

I'm about to get a new gassaver... I'm trading some computer parts and service for a 87 Mazda 323 hatch w/ 5sp 1.6L 4 banger... Gotta replace the head gasket and do some brake work, but other than that it seems alright... If not, I'm sure I'll get my time's worth in scrap out of it...

I started out only liking big V-8 American steel... then gas started rising well above the 75 cents/gallon I started out paying. 12mpg wasn't acceptable, and when the engine finally died my parents got me a 99 Ford Taurus with V6... got a better 20mpg, but I didn't REALLY get it till I wrecked that (hated it too, was happy) and bought a 90 Accord that was much easier to repair (and needs less repairs thus far) and gets me 30mpg in town now... I hope this Mazda gets me over 40 though

And after I sell the Accord and my 300zx (after I replace it's headgasket too >.<) I'ma get a CRX and either a D15Z1 or D15b (3 stage Vtec of course!) and go for as high efficiency as I can eek out of the sucker... I don't need a 4 door, or a particularly nice ride (maybe I'll put in a cushy seat :P), just a passenger seat for my gal, and minimal cargo space for groceries and such. And ultimately, a light pressure turbo... smidge more economy, and with that 3 stage Vtec should get pretty good performance as well. It'll be nice to skunk a big overweight V-8 on occasion

I'm 25 btw.
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalez0r View Post
I started out only liking big V-8 American steel... then gas started rising well above the 75 cents/gallon I started out paying. 12mpg wasn't acceptable, and when the engine finally died my parents got me a 99 Ford Taurus [...]

I'm 25 btw.
Where do you live that gas was 75 cents per gallon in 1999-2000?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol i can save the planet on weekdays, weekends welllll :P

the car has enough torque at the drop of a foot to twist the frame enough to crack the windshield and do i dare say it *GASP* a bench seat in a car!!!!!
There's not a lot of bench seat fans around...and torque FTW!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #19
Registered Member

oh dear god so many bannanas!

yea the bench seat in a car is amazing...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #20

I got a Dodge 2.2L Charger in 1983. I drove a LOT. I always felt beat up at the end of the trips. I bought a nice 2wd '86 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. At the end of the first 4 hour trip I felt like I could go another 4 hours without stopping! The noise and vibration of the small car was beating me to death. The next truck was a 4wd, as was the next, and the next. Big and smooth is good.

I have an '89 CRX now, too, but I don't take long trips in it. I could, but I don't.

As we get older we want, and can afford, comfort and power. Why not? I don't buy into AGW, nor Peak Oil, nor foaming-at-the-mouth green-ness. Frugality is its own reward, but if I can afford it and want it...stand aside.

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote