Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: Acetone results
Yes. I've seen an increase in FE 17 36.96%
No change in FE 27 58.70%
No. I've had a decrease in FE 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #31
Registered Member

I should mention that I cruise at about 70 mph, and don't employ driving techniques as faithfully as most people here. Maybe Acetone makes more of a difference for us less hypermile minded. If I were more patient, I'm sure I could push my 30 mpg to 35 or more.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #32
Registered Member

Vehicles used:
1995 D-2500 Slt Laramie
1988 Bmw 325ic

I don't think it does, the bmw's mpg got worse, the truck seemed to improve but it wasn't conclusive... Also don't forget to figure in the price of acetone, I paid nearly $10 a gallon for it so 3 ounces per 10 gallons adds 23.44 cents to every gallon!
Even if I see an improvement and at today's prices that adds 7% to the price of fuel, then I need to figure in my time so for myself to see an improvement that pays off I would have to see at least 15% improvement and I can honestly say I don't think I saw 10% if I saw that.

Adding a tonneau cover was more expensive initially but doing that gave me some figures to compare... My last tank's mpg on the truck was 11.88 compared to the usual 10.0 - 10.5 - 10.8 mpg, now I never saw over 11 with acetone.

And it was good acetone, 99% stuff from Sally's Beauty supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Hey I get 32mpg if I drive 80 on the highway with acetone - it doesn't help when you are burning it at 2.5 gallons an hour - it helps when you are burning 0.3 to 0.5 gallons per hour by making the injectors work better at low volume operation when they usually don't atomize the fuel properly.
Yes but now it's the driving that's saving the fuel, not the acetone.

Try driving like that without acetone

Old 03-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone marty View Post
I can buy my acetone in canada for $7.89 per litre
Wow that's almost $30 a gallon, shoot no, mine's way cheaper when there's 3.785 liters in one gallon it costs me 10 bucks for almost 4 liters and still it's not cheaper in terms of economy.

This is the problem: dumping 3 ounces of that Canadian acetone is costing another 70 cents, say times 10 gallons of fuel that's 30 ounces so 7 dollars.

Then we have to add all the rest of the additives and it wouldn't surprise me if you're not dumping an extra $20 into your tank in this fashion.

So the question I keep throwing around is, does this $20 pay off in the savings, or wouldn't it be as cheap to just put another $20 worth of fuel in the tank and be done with it?

Lets assume 40mpg straight fuel, 10 gallons, $5 a gallon.
Hmmm that's $50 but here we add another $20 so we get 14 gallons x 40 =
560 miles for $70

So then we take the other formula, 10 gallons, 50 mpg, $50 for fuel + $20 for additives, I'll give you the mileage here for the extra ounces of additives which is roughly a quart so 10.25 x 50 =
512.5 miles for $70

What do we want, 40mpg, pay $70 and go 560 miles...
Or 50mpg, pay $70 and only go 512.5 miles...

That's the whole point of the exercise is fuel economy.

Miles per gallon is just that, but Fuel economy is miles for the dollar, and if it costs more to go the same distance then it is not feasible economically speaking.

I did want to add, one-time expenses are not calculated the exact same way and in that sense a one-time expense can be a lot higher but it also has to be figured (over the expected life of the car vs. Blue book value and maybe one or two other things).

So unfortunately we have to do the math, or it doesn't work.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #34
Registered Member

There may have been a slight increase when I tried it, but it could have been to other variables. Even if, it wasn't enough to warrant the cost and hassle.

On the other hand, the v-6's in the Ranger are prone to pinginess, and I've noticed it on the steep hills. I'll try in again during hotter weather to see how it works as an octane booster. I also plan on trying a higher octane sometime during the summer.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
Registered Member

I use to use acetone in a 96 eagle talon tsi. No real difference in mpg but one of the rubber fuel lines did start leaking after a year.
jd1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #36
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
Vehicles used:
1995 D-2500 Slt Laramie
1988 Bmw 325ic

I don't think it does, the bmw's mpg got worse, the truck seemed to improve but it wasn't conclusive... Also don't forget to figure in the price of acetone, I paid nearly $10 a gallon for it so 3 ounces per 10 gallons adds 23.44 cents to every gallon!
Check your math . . . it adds 2.344 cents per gallon . . . 23.44 cents per TEN gallons! Now it is not so bad HUH? Takes about a 1% mileage improvement to break even.

And driving 80 MPH without Acetone would produce a lower mileage but there is no place to drive that fast around here. THere are some xB owners that do drive that fast and get in the high TEENS for MPG.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hey I had a friend with a Professional discount get me a gallon at Sally's - looking forward to the next filling to add some of the new Acetone to see if it works any better than the Ace brand I have been using.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #38
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Used home center acetone for most of a year in the last car. Nothing out of the ordinary. But the car really never reacted to anything. Got a new car, and the first tank with acetone dropped from 12.3 to 10.7. Not much of an increase to me. I will drive this current tank down, and maybe try it again. I was actually being nice to the car 98% of the time. Only hit boost twice.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #39
Registered Member

my days of using acetone are likely numbered. E10 finally has made its way to florida. my last real jump in FE using it was just before the "contains up to 10% ethanol" sign was placed at my favorite filling station.

it must be true that ethanol negates the affects of acetone. that's what i'm experiencing anyway.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #40
Registered Member

It is said...and is whispered in the back alleys...that isopropyl at about the same % as acetone works even with the ethanol. I tried 4-5 oz of 91% (9% water) and saw no gain...but had other stuff happening...did have more power though. Need to use a top oil though to protect the fuel pump.

I'd use 2-3 oz per 10 G if I tried it again. I'd probably more likely try 24 oz cheap canola oil and 3 oz iso per 10 G. Some claim good mpg gains and not a lot of smoke...maybe cause the canola acts as much as a fuel as it does a lube?

note: this is what I'd try...your intentions may be different...

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote