Yes. I've seen an increase in FE 17 36.96%
No change in FE 27 58.70%
No. I've had a decrease in FE 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Check your math . . . it adds 2.344 cents per gallon . . . 23.44 cents per TEN gallons! Now it is not so bad HUH? Takes about a 1% mileage improvement to break even.

And driving 80 MPH without Acetone would produce a lower mileage but there is no place to drive that fast around here. THere are some xB owners that do drive that fast and get in the high TEENS for MPG.
You are correct I did mess that up, but now a gallon of acetone is $16
So almost 4 cents a gallon, 1% yeah...
All right but the more folks dump acetone in the tank the higher acetone goes.
We just don't have a million barrels of acetone a day to go around.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #42
Registered Member

I have a 1990 accord ex 4 dr w/5spd tranny with no 3rd gear (its gone!!!). The best mpg I could get was 25 mpg with mix driving. That's open Freeway in the morning and traffic in the afternoon going home from work. I drive 55-60 in the mornings and in traffic (stop and go) in afternoons. 2 days after I added a 3oz acetone/10 gal. Gas mix I got a wooping 29.17 mpg. My gas cost went from $9.19 a day to $6.83 a day. I celebrated and bought me a 16oz beer to drink at home!!! that's the price differance I save a day now!!! Thanks yall!!!

Max

90accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #43
Registered Member

Over at bitog we've had a lot of people try acetone in various ratios at least as far back as the Katrina aftermath. I can think of ONE person who's seen any sustained increase in FE.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #44
Registered Member

Snake oil man, snake oil.

I tried a couple of quarts of it 2, 3, and 4 oz to 10 gallons and...nothing.

Like two-stroke oil, acetone is just wishful thinking.

12% improvement? I'm calling BS on that.
4 inch suspension slam
Aero mods: "Fastback" fairing and rugged air dam and side skirts
Stock MPG: 19
Summer MPG: 27.0
Winter MPG: 24
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #45
Registered Member

I've never heard of people using 2 stroke for FE, just upper cylinder lubricity.... But I don't doubt people trying it.....
Old 05-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #46
Registered Member

Well the idea is that some sort of oil helps stop acetone or other solvents killing your fuel pump from lack of lubricity.

I've just stuck 2oz of Evinrude OMC low carbon TC-W3 and 5oz of acetone in my full tank for a retry. (15 gal tank)

I wasn't bothering because we are supposedly getting ethanol now, but last time I was at my fave gas station I looked all over the pumps and couldn't see the warning sticker, so thought I'd give it a go again. Used to be worth ~2mpg in marvin.

Doesn't so far seem to have got that same smoothness I remember before, but it's pulling up grades okay. Gonna try and remember to fill up before I do the weekend city thrashing.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #47
Registered Member

But GASOLINE is a solvent. What does it matter if you put acetone in? Many, if not most after market injector/fuel system cleaners have acetone or MEK in them.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #48
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The Torco GP-7 two stroke lube has PIB chemical that helps the gas burn better as well as provide some lubrication and only a very small amount is needed for it to be effective.

I just put my first 3 oz of Sally's Acetone in my xB after almost a gallon of Ace Acetone and have not driven much yet but I did see a record high mileage trip from Home to Office the other night.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #49
Registered Member

Hmmm, inconclusive... matched my best tanks, which is ~5% higher than average. But, the gas I was running is from the "wrong" pump, the ones I always try to avoid, but couldn't due to it being busy, all my low tanks are off those pumps, and my high tanks are off the "good" pumps, so it could be as high as 10%, or it could be 0 as it's within normal variation.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote