Headwind - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-03-2016, 05:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Extreme ecomodders will delete the wipers because they are a source of drag even when not in use.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

That's something I've noticed with some of the VAG group cars, they tuck them under the bonnet so they are invisible, looks better and makes the car far more aerodynamic too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 AM   #13
Registered Member

The drawback to hidden wipers is clearing them after they get frozen into their little cave in a snow or ice storm. I'll take exposed, easy-to-get-to wipers every time.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
A headwind is exactly the same aerodynamically as a higher airspeed....
No, a headwind is not the same areodynamically as higher speed. At say, car speeds of 55mph or less in still air, the air is, of course laminar, which has been mentioned. Against a fairly strong headwind, even at lower vehicle ground speeds, the headwind is already turbulent. Any objects along the side of the road would cause the headwind(more so, a quartering wind across the road) to become even more turbulent. Plus a moderate headwind is turbulent even flowing over flat ground. That's one of the reasons wind turbines can generate so much more wind power, the taller they are & higher above the ground. The higher atmosphere is seeking its free flow speed. Low air on the surface is being "grasped" by the objects on the ground & the ground itself, is slowed & becomes turbulent very easily. The complaints that some people have because wind turbines are hundreds of feet tall, will become worse when wind turbines exceed 1000 feet in height.

Anyhow, back to the vehicle problem. The reason stronger headwinds raise fuel consumption so badly, is the headwinds are initially turbulent. Cars against the headwind, have great drag(as mentioned because of the added vehicle AND headwind speeds). Also, because of the initial headwind turbulence PLUS vehicle speed makes the turbulence even worse. Slowing in a headwind helps a bit, but the headwind airflow is still turbulent.
litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

I may have found how to help using a CVT transmission and tachometer.
Today I had a strong headwind. I dropped from 65 to 60mph. The tachometer still varied some. Showing difference in load from headwind. My thinking that my car wasn't handling the headwind that well. So I dropped to 55mph. The tachometer stayed pretty steady. I'm thinking that my car then handled the headwind better.
I'm hoping this works good. Starting to love that CVT transmission.

Now all I gotta do is, find a way to drive the opposite direction to work. That's a predominant headwind in the afternoon. Usually not much or nothing in morning.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Corolla View Post
.....using a CVT transmission and tachometer.
Today I had a strong headwind. I dropped from 65 to 60mph. The tachometer still varied some. Showing difference in load from headwind. My thinking that my car wasn't handling the headwind that well. So I dropped to 55mph. The tachometer stayed pretty steady. I'm thinking that my car then handled the headwind better. Starting to love that CVT transmission.
I had a Dodge Caliber with CVT, in which the CVT was calibrated to give its best mpg at 2000rpm, which was 60mph in still air. Even at 65mph in still air, Caliber gave OK mpg. Into a turbulent headwind(see my post above) at 65mph, the CVT would be taching well beyond its efficiency rpm. Slowing down in a turbulent headwind, would give a triple reason for better mpg.

litesong is offline   Reply With Quote