Help my FE - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
about 90% and the major drive to and from work is a 5 mile drive.
I missed this. Short trips do affect the mpg negatively, but with practice I think you should be in 30s.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
Supporting Member

Talking

kickflipjr -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr View Post
After hearing all that. I say it is time to brush up on your driving methods. Driving like a grandma generally helps and look ahead to anticipate slowdowns or stop situations.
Ehhh, Sonny, what's that you're trying to say ?

When I was a little kid, I think that my Dad accidently taught me good FE driving habits. He had a game called "never stop". When he would drive, he would try to time his approach to stoplights by slowing down early. If he "won", he would never have to stop the car. He used to be an engineer, so I think he was applying "conservation of momentum" and efficiency and stuff. I picked up that habit over 20 years ago. Good habit.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
Supporting Member

I've never driven an auto saturn, but. I would try to keep the convertor locked up as much as possible when driving in town.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
After hearing all that. I say it is time to brush up on your driving methods. Driving like a grandma generally helps and look ahead to anticipate slowdowns or stop situations.
Sadly, I thought I was driving like a grandma. Which brings up a question when getting up to speed should I slowly get to the speed or speed up to get there then coast from then on to maintain that speed?

Quote:
I missed this. Short trips do affect the mpg negatively, but with practice I think you should be in 30s.
Yes, I am sure this doesn't help hopefully with the summer months coming I can increase that or maybe even ride the bike to work. I have looked for a alternate route but its basically a straight shot down one main street. I am not sure at what speed would be best for FE. Maybe a scanguage is in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I've never driven an auto saturn, but. I would try to keep the convertor locked up as much as possible when driving in town.
Silly question, but how would I go about doing that?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvolen View Post
[regarding the torque converter lockup]
Silly question, but how would I go about doing that?
Not a silly question at all -- it's a very complex system.

I recall having a rental SL-Automatic a couple of years ago, and noticed that the TC engaged at funny points, such as full lockup in 2nd gear, unlock-shift to 3rd-relock, same for final/4th (I think that the TC has to unlock to shift gears).

To keep the converter locked-up requires a light touch on the throttle and "bleeding-off" of the throttle when you slow down to keep it going (or lightly remove pressure from the throttle) -- conversely too much throttle unlocks it, and complete throttle lift unlocks it. Finally (other conditions aside), slowing speeds change the lock dynamic -- so it unlocks as you slow below a certain speed.

Regarding the automatic: I say bravo that you're not giving up on it because it simply has this transmission design. People will try to convince you to swap a manual in there, but if you don't want to for a variety of reasons, that's completely reasonable. The challenge lies in improving the FE with what ya got.

If you're into the deep constructs of how your vehicle operates, find a shop manual. It will show the schematic for TC lockup conditions from a variety of sensors and conditions (granted, if you're not an engineer, it may be confusing -- I can vouch for that).

RH77
Old 03-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #16
Registered Member

I see, I will check out a manual for a more detailed answer hopefully I could understand it.

My intentions are to go to extreme and have more expenses just to get better mileage but to supple do all that i can with my current setup. Well I guess I will go to semi extreme measures.. I like that car that I have and expect it to last a long time that will balance out some of the FE I miss out on.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #17
Supporting Member

Zvolen -

Quote:
I see, I will check out a manual for a more detailed answer hopefully I could understand it.

My intentions are to go to extreme and have more expenses just to get better mileage but to supple do all that i can with my current setup. Well I guess I will go to semi extreme measures.. I like that car that I have and expect it to last a long time that will balance out some of the FE I miss out on.
Egg-zactly. Between here and saturnfans.com, you will learn everything you need to know about your Saturn. I wouldn't be comfortable EOC'ing in an automatic unless I was a grease monkey. Seems too risky to me. And if I had the skills to fix the tranny, then I would switch it for a stick anyway.

If I had a 5 mile commute, I would look into an alternate route, if possible. Let's say that for the point of argument, you get 25 MPG going 5 miles. That would be 5/25 = 1/5 = .20 gallons of gas. If you found a 6 mile route that got you 36 MPG, that would be 6/36 = 1/6 = .16 gallons of gas. The extra mile would actually save gas!

Remember that a 5 mile commute is also good for the environment!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Zvolen -

Egg-zactly. Between here and saturnfans.com, you will learn everything you need to know about your Saturn. I wouldn't be comfortable EOC'ing in an automatic unless I was a grease monkey. Seems too risky to me. And if I had the skills to fix the tranny, then I would switch it for a stick anyway.

If I had a 5 mile commute, I would look into an alternate route, if possible. Let's say that for the point of argument, you get 25 MPG going 5 miles. That would be 5/25 = 1/5 = .20 gallons of gas. If you found a 6 mile route that got you 36 MPG, that would be 6/36 = 1/6 = .16 gallons of gas. The extra mile would actually save gas!

Remember that a 5 mile commute is also good for the environment!

CarloSW2
Been looking for an alternate route but like I previously stated its pretty much a straight shot, not many other options and if so just as bad. I actually have been planning to ride my bike to work since its such a short drive and the weather has been so nice lately, in that case MPG=infinite

I agree - with the combination of this site and the other I will maintain the up keep of the vehicle to keep it running good for a long time.

Thanks, Z
Old 05-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

IN regards to keeping the torque converter locked up and engaging the TCC, wouldn't this mod due just that as he describes it. Obviously he is doing it for another reason, but wouldn't this help FE?

Seemed like a good idea and strike me, thought I would share.

--Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Torpedo
Hey, now before you all call me a ricer and what I'm working on is wrong, consider the fact that it doesn't cost A WHOLE LOT and lotsa people with automatics would find this interesting! Plus this is my second car now, so I want to experiment and make something different.

Well, here's the deal:

I'm making my automatic "manually controlled".
That's right. I will select 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or reverse gears ELECTRONICALLY and INDEPENDENTLY from the computer. Not only that, but I will use the TCC as my CLUTCH

Since I have some mediocre background in electronics, I've learned that the tranny is fully electronically controlled by turning shift solenoids in the valve body on or off. I feel that sometimes, I want more control (though other times I want it to be auto). I would like to be able to select gears and hold them for as long as I feel necessary. I want to be able to select 1st gear and stay in it, etc.

I've noticed only one solenoid is open during various gears, and by identifying those solenoids I can control the shifting. I also noticed the torque converter lockup clutch is controlled by a single wire, so I can "apply" the clutch (and disengage it) any time I want, just like a real clutch!

Well, so far I went past the "proof of concept" part and installed the "clutch pedal". I can now control when the torque converter locks up. I have a switch that lets me decide whether I want the computer to apply the clutch, or whether I want to do it manually. It's been pretty fun squeaking wheels by "dropping the clutch" The computer never locks up the TCC in 1st gear.

I'll let you know how this project goes. I'm looking into steering-mounted controls like in those high-end cars that let me go up or down a gear with a push of a button.

Rain is a major problem in this state, so it's taking me a while. Let me know if you guys think it's something worth documenting so more people can do this mod. Somebody else once did a similar thing in another Saturn, but nobody has heard from that person anymore.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

Nice!

Quote:
IN regards to keeping the torque converter locked up and engaging the TCC, wouldn't this mod due just that as he describes it. Obviously he is doing it for another reason, but wouldn't this help FE?

Seemed like a good idea and strike me, thought I would share.

--Z
That mod would be great! Is this a post from Saturnfans.com? It would be a great day if I can finally tell the automatic what I want it to do...

RH77