Higher octane for better mileage? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #41
Site Team / Moderator

When I used to work at a fuel station, when we ordered midgrade they would ship 1,000 gallons of 87 octane, and 200 gallons of 93 octane, then dump both in our midgrade tank.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #42
Registered Member

Some stations now have pumps that do that mix upon dispensing.

When experimenting with premium, you have to be aware that any differences seen could be down to a more effective detergent and cleaner additive that is taking out any deposits and build up from the time of regular only use.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 AM   #43
Registered Member

Decades ago, back in the days of leaded gas, Sunoco stations used to have pumps which would allow a person to blend their own, from straight Regular through straight Premium at (as I recall) 10% increments. Here in Nebraska there are a very few stations with pumps that allow one to select various blends of gasoline and ethanol, but I am not sure of the increments. I'd guess perhaps E10, E25, E40, E60, and E85.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #44
Registered Member

It wasn't too long ago, a brand, I think Shell, had a fourth octane selection on its pumps between mid and premium. Considering the costs involved with maintaining and permitting the underground tanks, they were likely blender pumps. Lack of sales eventually lead to the end of that fourth choice.

The ethanol blender pumps have only recently started to be deployed. For E85, I'd still have to go into Philly, and possibly a station in NJ.

Jay's comment on the 2:10 ratio of premium to regular for midgrade octane raises a question concerning why the midgrade price tends to be at the midpoint between regular and premium. Is the reason purely because of marketing?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #45
Registered Member

The Mobil stations here have a 88 octane. They call it special. It still has ethanol. I call it; not for me.
The midgrade prices I've seen are all over the place. Can get it cheaper than regular. I don't know what to think of it. It's all still with ethanol. Not for me.
The difference I've experienced with E0, makes me think maybe they're cheating with the E10. Might be more than 10%? Everybody loves to cheat here. What I read from others on the difference. I'm doing too good. Makes me think they're cheating.
I'm liking my performance with adding premium. Also noticing my computer on mileage is stronger. I'll have to wait to see actual mileage gain. The price may be worth just the performance and additives for cleaner injectors etc. I'll be experimenting with percentages of premium for sure.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #46
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post

Jay's comment on the 2:10 ratio of premium to regular for midgrade octane raises a question concerning why the midgrade price tends to be at the midpoint between regular and premium. Is the reason purely because of marketing?
I would say probably yes.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #47
Registered Member

This weekend. I drove around town some. This is as much of city driving as I can get here. It isn't like in LA. Fighting traffic, etc. I can coast to stops. Coast down hills, etc. I do want to say...
With this E0 mix I'm running. The car was holding 40 mpg strong. Even up a little at one time. I don't know that the strictly regular E0 wouldn't do that? I do know the mixture is a better performer. I'm happy I'm holding 40 mpg in city.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #48
Registered Member

I am noticing just how much driving habits effect MPG. I have had much on my mind lately. Have been driving without paying a high amount of attention. I only got 36.6 mpg. Unhappy with this. Admit, last time I didn't pay attention. It was with ethanol and got only 30 something mpg. Also, this tank had 50/50 premium/regular. Not sure that is the greatest for me?
I'm now trying 3 gallons premium, with 8.5 gallons regular. Is working good it seems. I also admit, I'm putting more effort into MPG. Computer is showing well above 40mpg. Much higher than my best so far.
I'll soon be driving a different route to work. Shorter, lower speed limit. Better in the wind. Only two definite stops.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #49
Registered Member

Finally got over 40 for daily driving! 41.8!
I admit. I did keep the speed down to 45. It gets better mileage in the wind.
I had three gallons of premium in this tank.
This fill up going forward... 2 gallons premium.
I'm experimenting. Specifics? Can look at my page. I post notes.
I do think I can do better. Soon will be taking a different route to work. Moving. So I'll see.
Went 460 miles, and exactly three weeks on this tank. Feels good.

I am thinking just a little premium is best? Am experimenting.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #50
Registered Member

For now. I've pretty much settled on one gallon of premium with each fuel up. I cut this fuel up short. Simply because I was in Rapid. Didn't want to take a special trip there, later this week, just to fuel up. Put only 9 something gallons in this time.
Mileage still came pretty close to best. If I held off. Might have exceeded it. Didn't have to try hard either. This rural driving is good mileage.
Wanting to get those Pirelli's on this car. Better mileage.
This is getting outstanding. Never dreamed of working with mileage this high in this car.