Home with VX, Some Q's and comments - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks so much for all of the info. Unfortunately I don't have an impact wrench (i might be able to borrow one), or maybe some liquid wrench will do. Luckily, the suspension was just lowered (in august or sept) and they replaced the rusty ones, so hopefully they will come off fairly easily.

I will definately clean out the wheel wells, and put rust proofer on all of the spots where it is starting. I still haven't decided whether I will do the timing belt myself or not. I am excited to put the correct plugs in tonight and take it for a drive tomorrow.

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
Registered Member

I got the right spark plugs in (NGK V-Power), and am excited to try it out, but am waiting till tomorrow, when i go to the dmv to get new plates. I found SEVEN air fresheners underneath the seat...I hate those things. So my VX has no power steering (which is great), but A/C. Were they both options on the VX?

Does anyone have any spring compressors they want to sell?

Has anyone heard of / installed an engine block heater on a D15Z1?

I paid 3,700$ for this car...it was a 94 with 112K. I should have offered 3,200$ because when i bought it it was running so rough at low rpms...but I was blinded by the nice condition of the body, and the potential for super hi FE.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
*shrug*

You can borrow spring compressors from an auto parts store.

You can install a block heater, but I forget if anyone has done it that I know of.

Don't worry about paying too much, we all do it sometimes. It's just money, after all.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
You can borrow spring compressors from an auto parts store.
Might be a rental fee, but it's better than buying them, I think.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
So my VX has no power steering (which is great), but A/C. Were they both options on the VX?

Has anyone heard of / installed an engine block heater on a D15Z1?
Power steering was not available for the VX at all. A/C, was an option. When the VX and CX came off the factory floor, there was no radio, no antennae, no speakers, no A/C. Most Dealers threw a radio, antennae and two speakers into the cars so they would sell. You then had the option to have A/C installed, two more speakers and fog lights. That pretty much was the list of options that I know of. The car came with the VX alloy wheels and front lip spoiler standard, oh and the rear diffuser/filler panel.

The engine block heater (EBH) was also an option. The OEM ones are hard to find but worth it. They screw right in to the engine block coolant drain behind the exhaust header. You can try www.hondaautomotiveparts.com to see if they have some. Otherwise Ebay can be your friend.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

My 93 VX, purchased a month ago or so, was listed for $3800. 131K miles, one owner. I must have been the first to look at it.... drove it.... ran flawlessly and I immediately said I would give him $4K for it if he took it off the market right away... (only had $600 with me on a Sunday). He did and I took the car home the next day and already have a couple thousand miles on it.... mpg range has been from a low of 38 to my best of 55. It is a CA VX though... no lean burn, but I love this car and gladly paid a little more for it.
lca13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Just to give some idea, HERE is my photo album of my Civic VX. I paid $1500 for it in the condition seen in the pictures where it was its original color of teal (yucky!). Then replaced the wrong plugs that were installed, new cap, rotor, wires, new pads, rotor, O2 (that was a B-day freebie from a friend and partially due to buying 5 L1H1s when they were only $100 a piece over 5 years ago). I had a Civic Hatchback in Red that had spare body parts to swap the passenger door and fender as well as the rear hatch. I also bought repair panels for the rear quarter panels at a whopping $26 per side and installed those. At that point I didn't even want to take pictures of it because it was teal, red and primered at that point, so I spent $30 at home Depot and painted it the navy blue you see in most of the photos.

So far I believe I have a grand total of ~$2200 into it. Although it has over 330K miles on the drivetrain now, it's still just about maintaining 50mpg without trying too hard. This summer I am going to find a D15z1 or possibly a d15Y5 (HX motor) to rebuild and replace the aging motor I have now. That should only cost about $300 for a rebuild kit as I can usually get the motor for nearly free around here.

So hang in there, it will all be worth it!

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
Registered Member

I got the new plugs in...It runs so much better, it doesnt miss, and it can maintain lean burn (i think) up slight grades. I also found a small vacuum leak and fixed it lowering the idle and smoothing it out. So next is to inspect the cap and rotor and replace the wires with the stock ones. Also have to fix that suspension.

The first tank, which included the previous owner driving it around town for 100 mi, and then driving home, part of the time in 4th gear to avoid the poorly running lean burn turned out a respectable 47 MPG. I really love this car!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

James: nice!

Again I have VX envy. Man, I'd like to try one of these cars.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
James: nice!

Again I have VX envy. Man, I'd like to try one of these cars.
Congrats James!!! Enjoy it!

Metro, if you are ever in MN I could let you take my VX for a spin.

Quote: