Horrible Gas Milage! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #21
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
This is a dangerous thing to say. Unless you think FE is completely a game and the environment/economy/urban sprawl, waste, blah blah are not factors in anything.
That wasn't my intent. I was just pointing out that we all start somewhere. Let's say that somebody had a car identical to mine and they only got 25 mpg when they started to be concerned about FE. They would look at my 53+ mpg and get discouraged if they couldn't get that high on thier first tank and may very well give up. I really shouldn't have referred to FE as a "game." It was a poor choice of words.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #22
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
The numbers are important.

If I started at 13 and went to 19, that's a 46% improvement, yet it still sux and is unacceptable.
Exactly. If you started at 13 and ended up in pretty much the same place, then you would know that, since there was no improvement, you did something wrong. For me, it would be more incentive to try harder.
Edit: For me, if i went from 48 up to 50 that would only be a 1.04% improvement. The next time I would expect something over 50. Staying at 50 or even declining would be unacceptable to me.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 10-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #23
FE nut

My grandpa always used to get me to take his vehicle if we would go somewhere. I usually declined because my cars got better mileage. Sure, I could probably get better than most people in his vehicle, but mine was ultimately better for the environment.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
Registered Member

Well, I used to have a "holy airbox" (airbox with a bunch of holes in it). But I took that off today and I put an airbox with no holes back in and hooked up all the emissions stuff. I may have changed too many variables, but I figured the stock airbox with no holes is going to be better.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #25
Registered Member

I replaced the hose in my old car. It had a hole but I sealed it up. The hose wasn't smooth anymore. After i put a new hose there was much better throttle response in the low end.

I started out with 24mpg and ended up with 31mpg. Sold it.

Bought a 34mpg car and now I'm at 40mpg.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
Registered Member

I got 24mpg on the first tank on my gaslog I figured that was ok because I was getting 28mpg in my old saturn sl1. As I learned more my mpg climbed (well, slowly climbed).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #27
Registered Member

WOO HOO!!! I just got 29.64 mpg out of my last tank! That was with some very basic FE techniques. I put in the clutch instead of letting the car motor. I also did the "jack rabbit" technique (accelerate "hard" on 1-3 and then shift into 5th). I also bumped the pressure on the tires by 4psi all around (36 psi).

Im very optimistic, seeing as how the car is equipped with a high performance cam and a bike rack. I can put the stock cam back in and I can also remove the bike rack. In addition to that, Ive also ordered a scan guage II. Who knows, I might just be able to make it into the 500 mile club!

=D
Old 10-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #28
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexellent
Who knows, I might just be able to make it into the 500 mile club!

=D
I'm not sure how big your tank is, but 500 miles should be well within reach with your planned mods.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn