How about a finished Project - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: How about a finished Project

Lots of "little" projects or experiments happened for quite some time while gas prices tipped $4/gal. a few years ago.

By now most everyone (in the US) has adjusted accordingly to accomodate the fuel expense and R&D pretty much halted I'd say. Most people who were hurting bad just went and bought more economical vehicles and those of us who attempted to increase EPA figures by altering our vehicles took a rather simple approach to the matter, because these are daily driven cars and needed to be kept reliable and safe.

Not too many people "started projects" as-in building up an entire vehicle aimed at 50+ mpg. Maybe a handfull of guys actually went that far.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Not too many people "started projects" as-in building up an entire vehicle aimed at 50+ mpg. Maybe a handfull of guys actually went that far.
I've done just that, 2 cars and counting, about to embark on #3.

1. '85 CRX Si - beginning mpg was around 35, current in the high 40's and in the summer I crest 50. This was a stock-engine approach, slowly modifying here and there to achieve the goal: HF trans swap, side mirror delete, higher tire PSI, grill block, etc. All mods can be found in my garage entry under "Thunder".

2. '89 CRX HF - beginning mpg was 30, albeit the engine was near death so a swap (D15Z1) was in order, now she rides at high 50's-60+. Kept the HF trans, lightened her up, grill block, and even with a few electrical gremlins left there is a bit more efficiency to extract. Mods are under garage entry "Lightning".

3. '97 Civic DX Hatchback - beginning mpg is 0 as there is no engine or trans to speak of. I'm planning for a D16Y5 swap from an HX, hopefully hitting high 40's. This car will be more compromised in comfort, less gutting of the interior, and more pleasant from day to day than the unrelenting '89 HF. We'll see how she turns out...

Thanks,
Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Registered Member

KLP, I started a build thread for my Ninja 250 strealiner in the motorcycle section as well as my previous Yamaha 550 project. Both are complete and running currently but I continue to refine them. Curently the Yamaha had a best tankfill of 66.8 mpg and the Ninja a best of 104 mpg. Just read through the many projects posted thriugh out this forum; a lot gets done!
Conversely, you will see some pipe dream proposals that either never get started or are quickly abandoned as the initiator deals with the reality of actual fabrication. As in real life, talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words.

low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote