How bad will this hurt mpg? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

How bad will this hurt mpg?

Hey you guys, merry Christmas! I was wanting to put a slightly wider tire on my accord. I have a 205/60 but want to go to a 215/55. This tire is wider and shorter so I know it will hurt my mpg but I was wondering how much? I mainly travel highway 80% and city 20%. I drive very conservatively and never speed. I am not happy on how my accord is steering. Thanks for your help.

Willhall45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
yea but the aspect ratio is a RATIO using the width. they're wider so it doens't make much difference. specifically, you're going from 80.7" to 79.5" so about 1.24% total height difference and .5" width difference.... that means not much change.

How are you not happy about it's steering? keep in mind most cars are tuned from the factory to understeer pretty harshly. Have you checked the tire pressure and alignment?

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, I check pressure every time I fill up with gas. I like to run them higher than recommended. Usually the front is at 36 and the back at 34. I had my cars alignment checked about 7,000 miles ago and it checked out ok, with no repairs needed. The Accord turns ok, I just want it better. There are no good tires in the standard size anyway. I look at wet and dry performance but especially the tires weight. So many people do not look at weight but I think it plays a big part.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhall45 View Post
Yeah, I check pressure every time I fill up with gas. I like to run them higher than recommended. Usually the front is at 36 and the back at 34. I had my cars alignment checked about 7,000 miles ago and it checked out ok, with no repairs needed. The Accord turns ok, I just want it better. There are no good tires in the standard size anyway.
Recommended by the tire? Or by the car? Pump them up to the sidewall pressure stamped on the tire (or beyond). You may (or may not) notice an increase in steering response. What's your definition of "better" - do you want a faster response time? Faster turning velocity (before under steer)? Something else? "Better" is a rather subjective metric without more description I personally have factory sized (Pilot Exalto's) tires pumped up to 55 front and somewhere along 52 rear I can do my turns at faster than I care to in normal conditions

Quote:
I look at wet and dry performance but especially the tires weight. So many people do not look at weight but I think it plays a big part.
For acceleration - sure (less spinning mass is generally better for acceleration - less unsprung weight is always better)... For steering control... Only if the angular momentum is preventing you from physically turning the wheel As for wet/dry -- always keep in mind that tires that say wet/dry always compromise both wet and dry traction versus a tire for dry or tire for wet. But I'd rather have reduced dry traction than have none in a rainstorm

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhall45 View Post
Hey you guys, merry Christmas! I was wanting to put a slightly wider tire on my accord. I have a 205/60 but want to go to a 215/55. This tire is wider and shorter so I know it will hurt my mpg but I was wondering how much? I mainly travel highway 80% and city 20%. I drive very conservatively and never speed. I am not happy on how my accord is steering. Thanks for your help.
I would say that ANY difference in fuel economy is going to be negligible. As for not liking the way the car steers, do you perhaps mean that you don't like the lack of cornering stability?
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

I have the stock Michelin's on my Accord. I keep them at a higher pressure as to what it says, inside my front door. I would like a tire that turns faster and does A Lot better in the rain. The stock tires are awful in the rain. I really have to slow down even in a fwd! The only tire , in stock size, that I liked was called the Toyo Versado LX. They are light, good warrenty, and ranked high on 1010tires.com. I am going on 2 long trips this weekend so when I get back I am going to buy some new ones. Do you think these are good? Do you have any recommendations for a 205/60/16 to a 215/55/16? Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

I say buy them BEFORE your trip.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok, so my real question from the beginning is, how bad will my gas mileage be hurt if I go to a 215/55/16 from a 205/60/16. I know thats a hard question but do you think it will subtract 1,2,3, or 4 plus? Thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

If you want better handling, install some better struts, lowering springs poly suspension bushings, and larger sway bars... turns an econo box into a corner carver.
Midwestzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
^ I'm with him. if you want to change the way your car handles, actually cahnge things. 5% different tire sidewall won't make a whole lot of difference. Like I said before, the difference in tire size is less than 2%. You'll see more difference from underinflating a tire by 5 psi.

Modern cars are designed to understeer badly from the factory. Especially in the rain/snow I consider FWD worse to drive because around corners the front wheels are responsible for steering braking and acceleration. RWD cars they only have to worry about steering and braking and if you break the drive tires free (rear) who cares, just leave them whipping around the outside in a drift. the only significantly good hadnling FWD car I know is the infiniti G20...with walmart tires, stock suspension, 255k miles I took 90* turns at 60mph floored. the car's balanced well enough that all 4 tires grip the same. Give gas around a corner in the snow in a FWD and you don't turn. give gas around a corner in a RWD and the rear kicks out and you can control it and still go around the corner (at least I can... all the time)

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote