How come no one Hypermiles with their VXes? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
haha amen to that. But what is fun is putting hills to work for you

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
Registered Member

It is difficult to hypermile the vx. I can get a tank in the 60's but then the following tank is in the 50's. It is designed well, and it is difficult to beat the epa, because that shift light has the engine often running at 1,200 rpm, even for a novice fe driver (all they would have to do is watch the shift light) to get good fe.

I think the only way i could get in the 70's would be to try and plan when i hit the road and make FE the only mission. Usually I am hauling around the family and tools, groceries, 50lb bags of limestone, and sometimes it is raining or cold or both. But i believe we would all do about 4mpg better with LRR tires. I have cheap 175s that i am waiting to wear out. I am about to do the pizza pan wheels soon too, will see if that helps.

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
Registered Member

OK, ya got my attention.
HX is the '96 forward replacement for the VX, right?
Same deal probably, great FE out of the box but little room for improvement?

I'm always keeping an eye out for a good replacement for my 240 when the time comes. I'd want '96 or later so I can use a ScanGauge. So what do you guys think? HX? Or one of the more common ones like LX/EX? I think the coupe has the best c/d so that would likely be my choice.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
Registered Member

The HX is a nice car but it cant get close to the MPG of the VX. I think partly this is because of the heavier weight, and a tranny that keeps the engine revving higher. I think the hx was rated 44 mpg on the highway while the vx was rated 56(old Epa ratings). I would recommend either car, but both are difficult to find, so you may have to keep an eye out for a while. For some reason the 92-95 civics were the most efficient. even the 96+ cx is nowhere near as efficient as a 92-95 cx.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks James.

Dang. I think that Honda bought the tuner mentality from the tuner crowd. Looks like the whole brand has been shifting towards lower FE continuously since '95.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #16
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I look at peoples' gas logs for their VXes and most of you are around 50mpg. How come no one hypermiles with this hypermiler of hypermilers? Come on people. let's see some 80mpg tanks. Or at least 70. I'd try for a high mpg trip but I haven't figure out how to get an accurate reading from my car. Seems every time I fill up it fills to a different level.
I refuse to draft because it is unsafe. No way am I compromising my reaction cushion to save a buck. I'm happy with 50+ on my drive to school with all of the stop and go. I coast when I can and keep it under 65.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #17
Registered Member

It's been about a year since I switched from the VX to a Prius. A switch that resulted in lower FE. But since I was driving more, and the Prius was more safe and comfortable to drive, the Prius made more sense. Over the past 10 months (30k miles) the Prius has averaged 58 MPG. The VX turned in mid to upper 60's on the same route. From my gaslog you can see that I averaged about 69 MPG over 17k miles. During the first part of the gaslog, when I was reeeeealy trying, I was averaging mid 70's.

I remember one fine summer day when I found a nice truck to draft on both legs of my 140 mile commute. I averaged 83 MPG for the day.

I miss the VX but the Prius is more comfortable and has AC. The AC is necessary during July and August when the temps were 95-110 F.

Dan

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #18
*shrug*

Dan! I've missed you so!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #19
Registered Member

Nice to hear from GasSaver's VX pioneer.

Maybe no one hypermiles their VX's because Dan's not around to skool the slackers!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Registered Member

It's hard to skool the slackers when one no longer has a VX. I don't deserve the praise since I have downgraded.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote