How come no one Hypermiles with their VXes? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
My part of MN = flatness. That means that I don't get the fun of coasting forever. The few trips I made to Mankato, MN were awesome though. There are a couple spots where I could coast for about 4-5 miles.

Add the fact that now my wheel bearings need to be replaced SOON They are dragging my mileage down, as well as the cold weather now too. In fact, I have to report one of my worst tanks EVAR today in my gaslog.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
The SuperMID I was using showed % of distance with the engine on. Mine would show about 50% on my daily commute. So for 25 of the 50 miles, the engine was off, coasting. I spent lots of time choosing the route. Climb steep hills, coast down for miles. Never had to use the brakes. Sweet!
Okay, so take back the comment about hypermiling! sheesh. 50% EOC, that's impressive. but what about your tanks that showed 70-75mph on highway? You were still getting in the 60s on those tanks. How do you explain this:

Distance: 522 Fuel used: 7.99 Cruising at 70-75 MPH, 4-5 car length draft. Temps have plummeted. 33F morning commute and 55F evening commute. Ave temp 44F. 65.33mpg.

4-5 car length draft, as far as I know, is very small benefit.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
My part of MN = flatness. That means that I don't get the fun of coasting forever. The few trips I made to Mankato, MN were awesome though. There are a couple spots where I could coast for about 4-5 miles.

Add the fact that now my wheel bearings need to be replaced SOON They are dragging my mileage down, as well as the cold weather now too. In fact, I have to report one of my worst tanks EVAR today in my gaslog.
Sorry to hear that TomO. Cold weather is having an immediately noticeable effect on my current tank as well. Probably be low 50s.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
See "The VX" in the garage.
I saw you had some "front wheel spoilers" on yours. Do you think they were effective? I might give them a try, looks pretty easy to stick on there.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #45
Registered Member

what's hypermile??

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
what's hypermile??
Welcome to GasSavers!

Briefly, hypermiling = driving so as to get more than the EPA estimated fuel economy from a car/truck. Done by driving technique alone, or technique plus minor or major modifications to the vehicle.

A good definition for hypermiling SHOULD be added to the "FAQ" stickie at the top of the general Fuel Economy Discussion forum, imho.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
what's hypermile??
It's a mile that needs to be put on Ritalin.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #48
Registered Member

do you guys notice more power in lean burn in cold weather? It was cold today, and I seemed to notice that even with a heavy load in the car it was staying in lean burn during sections of road where it would previously come out to maintain speed. Not that this translates into better economy, i think it just means that the engine is creating more power due to the air being more dense and holding more o2 per volume than air at warmer temps. Note: this is at speeds under 55. I think maybe the vx power output is influenced more than other vehicles (in lean burn mode), because the air to fuel ratio is so high.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Okay, so take back the comment about hypermiling! sheesh. 50% EOC, that's impressive. but what about your tanks that showed 70-75mph on highway? You were still getting in the 60s on those tanks. How do you explain this:

Distance: 522 Fuel used: 7.99 Cruising at 70-75 MPH, 4-5 car length draft. Temps have plummeted. 33F morning commute and 55F evening commute. Ave temp 44F. 65.33mpg.

4-5 car length draft, as far as I know, is very small benefit.
Yes, when I was on the highway, 70-75MPH. I find that a 4-5 car length draft is very helpful, especially when cars in the fast lane are going 80MPH. I also had 14" HX wheels with LRR Insight tires inflated to 60 PSI and the bellypan. And also keep in mind that 100 miles per day were on the highway, and 40 more were suburban type driving, 35-45MPH where I could do lots of EOC.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
I saw you had some "front wheel spoilers" on yours. Do you think they were effective? I might give them a try, looks pretty easy to stick on there.
Honestly, I was never able to prove that they made a difference. I just copied what is on my Prius. I figured it couldn't hurt.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote