how do you feel about small cars? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The classic small car advantage.... heading south on rt95 towards the CT boarder and I move to the left lane as a tractor trailer merges from an on ramp with a line of cars behind it. Just as I approach the back end of the box the mustang right behind the box decides to change lanes to pass the TT truck and forces me to the guard rail. Because I am in a Geo Metro I fit between the mustang and guard rail and make no contact with either. Had we hit there would have been a multi car pileup from all the cars being too close to each other behind the TT truck.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
Registered Member

i went to a kia dealer today to have my GF's car serviced...im really impressed with what small cars have become which is to say they are certainly comparable to upscale cars in regard to looks(inside and out) and extras.

im a bit of a hermit in regard to buying(or even looking) new or new used as i buy cars cash...have for a long time. obviously safety features are more abundant...but new and late models cars reflect all of these tech advances in price eek:

edit: the post was meant to include kia and other brands on the used lot.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
Registered Member

That is pretty amazing. a lil angel was on your side, that's for sure, and the fact you had 35% less moving mass to worry about helps too.

I to agree with the "wow" factor on smaller autos. But I am guessing the economy has something to do with the size and type of demand we have for small cars w/ the same options. Packaged in a smaller box to appeal to " broke A**'es" like myself who want to get the biggest bang for the buck. ( BTW. I'm choosing to be broke, or at least act like it) it just seems appropriate for the times. .

But I still Digg my eco commuter, over any other car we own.
GR8MPGcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
Registered Member

I've driven cars and ridden bikes from a Honda 90 up to a Lincoln Town Car, and everything in between. I don't feel any safer in a Lincoln or an SUV than I do in my Geo...although I do like the view down the road I get in the larger vehicle, especially in the old Dodge/Plymouth mini-vans.

I much prefer the handling, ease of driving/parking, and ease of service on a smaller car.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #25
Registered Member

For me since we only have the need for one car a fairly quiet comfortable light mid-sized car is nice to have driving to work and holiday trips but still small and nimble enough for the city or driving alone. It's a matter of saving ears and @$5 and the need for a second car which would be more expensive for us than a single better one.

I'm more comfortable closer to the road than boating around leaning over traffic in a taller even if smaller vehicle.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #26

Wow can I relate to this topic. I love the idea of saving gas for a whole host of reasons. This means a small, light vehicle. My wife, however, doesn't want me to die in a fiery wreck and her brother assurers her that "bigger is better" when it comes to safety. And...that could be true. He also claims most people are idiots, most people are distracted, and if you get injured in a crash you might not ever be the same again. With all of the people texting away as they drive....well some of that stuff is true too.

For 15 months I tried to get the OK to buy the Ford Fiesta, I figured I could wear her down. But....last spring we got the F-150. 3.7L V6, 2wd, extended cab XLT package. It's been great, they really nailed it with the F-150, and I feel big, visible, and safe in it. I've got the "spare bumper" in the back too

Get this Hitch Step from SUPERBUMPER! Help Eliminate Rear End Collision Damage with Patented Compressor System that's Proven & Tested

But I have gotta admit, I still love the idea of 40mpg or more. The truck is pretty good for something that big but it's a long way from 40.

CleanMPG, - Garage An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling

So how do I personally feel about small cars? I love them, they look cool and I think saving gas is good for national security as well as the environment. I'm not crazy with the idea of driving them in a sea of giant suv's and distracted drivers. For now....I'm with the half ton crowd I guess. But my heart is in an economical car
Fastskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
Registered Member

You need to be really careful with any statistics.
1. It is very rare to get in an accident, even more so to get in one that causes injuries
2. If you never drive intoxicated then you have cut out a whole lot of the chance for any accident
3. Many of the injury accidents are such that it wouldn't mater what you are driving.
4. Being a cautious driver and not aggressive will also eliminate a lot of bad situations.

I guess my point is that I believe that how you drive is a far larger factor in your safety then what you drive. So to get hung up on the size of a car could give you a false sense of security. You will have much better odds if you focus on the condition of your car and how you drive.

I also see that the bottom line is that insurance companies don't factor in the size of the car for setting premiums. They look very strongly at your driving history.
SalorJOhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
Accident avoidance. I drive a [1992 Civic VX] hatchback. I pay attention to the road, no texting or phone calls, and I usually have both hands on the wheel. I believe taking an more active part in staying out of an accident is better than a big vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzipitidoo View Post
Safety means more than safety for yourself. Small cars are safer for the other vehicle.
It's the arms race of bigger is safer that makes us all less safe in the long run (the bigger vehicles roll over, and the smaller vehicles have their windshields smashed in where their bumpers should have).

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalorJOhn View Post
You need to be really careful with any statistics.
1. It is very rare to get in an accident, even more so to get in one that causes injuries
2. If you never drive intoxicated then you have cut out a whole lot of the chance for any accident
3. Many of the injury accidents are such that it wouldn't mater what you are driving.
4. Being a cautious driver and not aggressive will also eliminate a lot of bad situations.

I guess my point is that I believe that how you drive is a far larger factor in your safety then what you drive. So to get hung up on the size of a car could give you a false sense of security. You will have much better odds if you focus on the condition of your car and how you drive.

I also see that the bottom line is that insurance companies don't factor in the size of the car for setting premiums. They look very strongly at your driving history.
Can't argue with 1-4, those are fantastic points. And I'm with you, focusing on good driving is the most important thing. Can't believe insurance companies don't factor size in....kinda shoots my theory...I'm sure the actuaries have looked at weight vs. cost. Or maybe....maybe the driver in the little car is killed where in the big car is just horribly maimed so they are more expensive?

Joe
Fastskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
Registered Member

maybe the driver in the little car is killed where in the big car is just horribly maimed so they are more expensive?

Joe[/QUOTE]

Well at least driving the small car you don't have to worry about it

SalorJOhn is offline   Reply With Quote