How far do you drive daily? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #41
Registered Member

bout 18 miles every week day for classes all highway +1/2 for school roads. i can go 500 miles on one tank in my truck but i usually fill up when its around half which is bout every 2 weeks...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #42
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr View Post
For everyone driving long distances everyday to work: You should really see if there is anyone to carpool with.

Reducing Miles + Increased MPG= $$$
Thought of that already. I can carpool with one guy, but he lives about 30 miles from me. I still have to drive 30 miles to his place. We also end up taking my car most of the time. He's got a '99 Subaru Outback that get's horrible FE with it's knobby tires and roof rack. At least he gives me gas money

I'll be moving out near his place this fall actually. Then we'll just do the "I drive one week, you drive the next" routine.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #43

92 miles round trip 5 days a week......I do carpool, the wife and I go in together. I just adjusted my hours to work with hers.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #44
Supporting Member

kickflipjr -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr View Post
For everyone driving long distances everyday to work: You should really see if there is anyone to carpool with.

Reducing Miles + Increased MPG= $$$
I agree in principle, but no two days are ever alike for me. I never work 9-5. I burn the midnight oil one night and I have an 8 AM meeting the next morning. Life is a fluid mess for me (think Icee spill on the carpet).

I think there is a vanpool that I could buy into on a day-by-day basis, but I would have to get up early and drive 7 miles just to get to that . I could also take a train/bus, but that would probably be 2.5 hours one way, and I wouldn't feel safe using my computer on public transportation.

In the long run I will be trying to telecommute when possible. But not right now.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #45
Registered Member

54 km a day total, but I ride the bicycle to work about 50-60 times a year, so that cuts it down a bit.

While a 27 km one way ride is perfect on the bike (47-50 minutes), in the car it is too short to get optimum fuel economy. Still, I usually average 3.5 to 3.7 L/100 on the commute.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #46
Registered Member

I drive average of 260 miles a day, and the WRX mileage is killing me.

I am looking into a Civic, Accord, Mazda 3, corolla etc. The car has to be very comfortable for such long drives. If it can be somewhat fun to drive, that would be a bonus.

Any reccommendations?

PS, I sold the 89 integra due to the high strung cruising (high revs, and noise).
95avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #47
Registered Member

A friend suggested that I give Acura TSX a try as it was getting him 32-34 on highway. Although the car requires premium fuel, he says he ran 87 octane with no ill effects, I am concerned about long term effects of that.

Perhaps a civic may be better for the intention of running 87 octane.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:20 AM   #48
Registered Member

Tessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95avusblue View Post
A friend suggested that I give Acura TSX a try as it was getting him 32-34 on highway. Although the car requires premium fuel, he says he ran 87 octane with no ill effects, I am concerned about long term effects of that.

Perhaps a civic may be better for the intention of running 87 octane.
I bought a new '06 and it has about 12K miles on it so far("Tessie" in the Garage -- view the GasLogs if you like).

We run Premium all the time because it's still pretty new, but I'm thinking about trying a lower-grade to see what happens.

What I noticed when renting a Volvo S40, was that it got considerably higher FE than expected, and it probably ran 87-Octane for its lifetime.

The same might be true with the TSX -- it may notice the lower octane levels and back-off fuel consumption. My wife drives the car primarily, and probably uses the VTEC RPM range once-a-month, if that -- so that may be where the requirement lies. It does have a higher compression ratio than similar displacement Honda variants, so there's a concern with detonation if it gets super-hot (but perhaps the knock or octane sensor will take care of that).

RH77
Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #49
Registered Member

I'd get a 5-speed 1st generation Civic Hybrid. Or a 4-cylinder 5-speed Accord. But that's just me.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #50
Registered Member

Thanks rh77, & Bill in Houston.

I am considering a manual Accord, manual Civic, Hybrid sounds good except I am apprehensive about cost of replacement batteries. Even considering manual Corollas, although I prefer Hondas.