How many VXs made/surviving? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

How many VXs made/surviving?

Apologies if this has been answered before. I tried to do a search but came up short. Do you guys know how many VXs Honda made from '92 to '95? And how many of those survive? (obviously this one would have to be a guess - I would exclude the "B18 swapped" VXs)

Are we talking thousands? Tens of thousands? Hundreds?

roadsterbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
DRW
Registered Member

Everytime I scan Craigslist for a VX I rarely find one unmodified. Just about every VX has been swapped, riced, or hacked by some deluded kid who thought he had a racecar. When I do find a completely unmodified VX in good condition the owner is asking way too much for it. Add the high theft rate for Hondas and I'll pass.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

I read that about 5% of the 91-95 Civics were VXs, probably 90% of them destroyed.

Mine was totalled in 1995 and repaired in 2008, with 27,472 miles on the odometer. It was like a time capsule.

You will probably never see another one like it-----ever.

regards
gary
Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
Everytime I scan Craigslist for a VX I rarely find one unmodified. Just about every VX has been swapped, riced, or hacked by some deluded kid who thought he had a racecar. When I do find a completely unmodified VX in good condition the owner is asking way too much for it. Add the high theft rate for Hondas and I'll pass.
Patience DRW, and persistence. Speaking from my Bay Area Craiglist experience, they are out there and they do show up, maybe once a month and then only for a few hours before the owners get so bombarded with emails they shut down the ad. Know that nice, priced to sell VXs may appear on craigslist as a "shooting star", they just flash through vs. hanging out unsold.

These fairly priced VXs are posted by sellers who don't bother to be up to date with the trend and price them at KBB or Edmunds pricing. Those VX's go very quickly and the ones you see left hanging around are the ones frustrating you. Know you aren't the only one looking and that you may need a few months to find it.

In my case, the first one I thought I was on my way to buy lasted exactly 30 minutes as someone in the same damn subdivision got there before me, I needed 45 minutes to make the drive to Susiun. 140,000 miles, with A/C, flawless and stock, $2,750. I was shocked as I pulled into the driveway to see a 20 year old kid getting the signed pink slip. The prick seller said cash talks, this after I phoned him in transit and said I would be there in minutes.

I was able to get the second one I went to look at (Martinez). $2000, original owner, A/C, all records, perfectly stock, 214,000. Needed a tranny and clutch and CV joint, put in ~$750, so I came out about the same, the other had better paint.

BTW, "deluded kid who thought he had a racecar", granted many do get screwed up, but enough have gotten into hands of highly skilled tuners who crave the 2,030 pound base weight and the ability to drop in 190 hp Integra engines and create stealth missles out of them that will bury an M3, not to be taken lightly.
SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

Since I have my VX, I have been lookin upon the market to watch prices and maybe THE one owner 100k perfect VX, but didnt find one (yes but it was 4000$). Anyway, the are becoming harder and harder to find. But there are some. I'm in Quebec, QC, so much far away, and my observation is that there are more VX available on the market during the summer, and in the winter you see one occasionaly.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoupe View Post
BTW, "deluded kid who thought he had a racecar", granted many do get screwed up, but enough have gotten into hands of highly skilled tuners who crave the 2,030 pound base weight and the ability to drop in 190 hp Integra engines and create stealth missles out of them that will bury an M3, not to be taken lightly.
And these 'stealth missiles' STILL get over 30MPG on the freeway!
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

Personally I don't see 30 MPG on a Freeway as much of an accomplishment.

40 years ago I had a 63 Valiant that got 28.5 MPG.

An 84 Honda that got 44MPG.

An 84 Nissan Pickup truck that got 30 MPG.

Austin Healey Sprite, several old VW's, Ford pinto, BMW 2002, etc etc.

Now dont misunderstand my statement. Its not a judgement passeddon those who need to drive vehicles that won't get 30. I just don't see 30 as that much of a great accomplishment.

Instead, imagine what a VX could do today, if they had dedicated the last 15 years to refining the aerodynamics, and all other systems related to improving the efficiency. You would be talking about 60 MPG average today as the yardstick others would have to measure to call their models efficient.

regards
gary
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Personally I don't see 30 MPG on a Freeway as much of an accomplishment.
Or various full size Fords that have been in my family over the years.

1986 Lincoln Town Car (great aunt)

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (grandfather)

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis (grandfather)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis (grandfather)

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis (grandfather)

All of these were fuel injected V8's with overdrive transmissions. All of them got between 27 and 30 on the highway, and all were land barges.

We used to have a 1981 AMC Spirit that used to be my grandmother's commuter car. Very stripped down car. Had a Pontiac 151 4 cyl engine with a Pontiac 4 speed manual transmission. It was nothing to put 600 or 700 miles on a tank of gas, and the very rare times we drove it on trips (No a/c) it would do ~800 miles on a tank (~ 20 gallons) We would have kept it longer if it had a/c.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

SCoupe - I had the same experience looking for VX in north-east. They go fast! I saw a lot of them get sold within hours of posting. Doesn't make for a good shopping experience, but they could be had. Just need to keep looking, may be a couple months and 300-400 miles range, and $2-3K I'd say is a reasonable range for VX in running condition that needs some minor body work, and a few things done mechanically. Probably $4-5K if it's mint.
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...sfyc=&systime=

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote