How much does alignment affect FE? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #1

How much does alignment affect FE?

the answer is a TON!!!!!!!

I recently did an autocross alignment (lots of negative camber) my milage plummeted from 31.7 to 25.3 MPG . I will be going back to the stock settings as soon as I can. this hurts the pocket book real bad

Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Did you reset the toe? I think it will usually go toe in when you add negative camber. I've got some negative in on mine but I've got the toe as neutral as I could and it rolls for miles and will still hook in hard.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Did you reset the toe? I think it will usually go toe in when you add negative camber. I've got some negative in on mine but I've got the toe as neutral as I could and it rolls for miles and will still hook in hard.
yep toe was set to stock specs but camber was set to -3*in the front and -2.5* in the back. I will be having the car re-aligned to the stock camber and toe settings .75* front and 0* rear camber before my new tires go on. I have seen these cars get 36mpg highway and I hope that I will see that soon.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I can imagine increase RR from the tire riding on its corner all the time, squashing one sidewall badly, and having to bend the tread in a direction it isn't designed to bend very much.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

I got stopped by a cop once because I was driving a car to another shop with a bent frame. It was bent badly enough that the tires were squealing going straight down the road and if you took your hands off the wheel it would do a 90 degree turn in about 2 seconds.

Pulled the frame and drove back fine.

Dont know what the mileage was, I was too busy trying to keep it on the road, but I'll bet it was less than 1/3 of what it would have been with the wheels pointing in the right direction.

35 years ago.

regards
gary
Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #6

the alignment is back inside the factory specs and the LRR tires are on I also added some moon disk wheel covers. it will coast forever now.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

very nice looking moon disc on the Lord Vader. as the coasting long distances let me quote Vader "the force is strong with this one"
Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

"Never underestimate the power of the force"
preliminary results revealed 36 mpg. Hard data will follow on friday after a week of commuting.

anyway on to the better pics.